iPod color 5th Gen at flea market for $5

Discussion in 'iPod' started by PhillyGuy72, May 27, 2019.

1. PhillyGuy72 macrumors 65816

PhillyGuy72

There's a large flea market in my area every Sunday, figured I'd stop there yesterday...nothing else to do and I haven't stopped here in years. After 1 hour in the sun, 90º heat, humidity I was ready to leave, plus the vendors were packing up.

As I'm heading to my car I spotted one table with a black iPod, I knew this was at least a 5th gen. Yeah I know it's old, but I ALWAYS wanted this..especially after buying the 4th gen - which I still have, it does act goofy at times, I replaced the battery about a year ago.

I was skeptical, this 5th gen 30gb iPod had a charge so I can see it did turn on, scroll wheel was fine. The front looked ok, no scratches at all, but the back was a bit scratched up - no dents, cracks. Plus I can see this thing already had 1000+ songs on it (some of the music is cool, a lot I would delete), few full length movies, couple of music videos on it already. He was asking for $15, I said I'll buy it for $5. I thought I was pushing it, but he paused and said "sure"...but he did look a bit peeved (lol, sorry dude)

Got it home, cleaned up the exterior with a mild cleaner, micro fiber cloth - it's works perfectly fine. Battery life seems fine (guessing its not the original battery..no big deal)

So as lame as my holiday weekend was looking, something this minor made my day. :)

One tiny issue so far, I can't get it to read / sync on my iMac. Hm.

[​IMG]

2. Slix macrumors 65816

Slix

Very nice! What a good price.

I'd guess the reason it won't sync with your Mac is because it has to be restored as a new device before syncing with the Mac, since it's currently formatted for Windows.

3. PhillyGuy72 thread starter macrumors 65816

PhillyGuy72

I think you're 100% correct. It's been a while but I think I had to do the same thing with my Gen 4 iPod...that was Windows formatted - when I had a PC.

It also still has a username attached to this phone, not my name.
    So that may be an issue also(?)

I'll just wipe it clean tonight and start over.

4. tranceking26 macrumors regular

tranceking26

Nice find! iPod's are so cool. There must be millions out there unloved. :(

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

It's even the 5.5 version! :) Very nice find for $5!

6. PhillyGuy72 thread starter macrumors 65816

PhillyGuy72

I was able to wipe it clean and reformat it. I had to do a hard reboot and then my iMac was able to read it.
    I did look up on Google, YouTube what the issue was, how to solve it.

Now what kills me is, I never look up accessories on Amazon for this iPod. Yet...they sent me an email earlier today - "based on your browsing history."

Man, that is just downright scary!:eek:

[​IMG]