Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
According to sources close to AppleInsider, the previously rumored (thread, thread, thread) flash memory-based iPod variant should go into production in December, and is expected to make a debut in early 2005. A production stockpile of 2 million units is expected to be produced prior to worldwide distribution in an effort to keep pace with demand. Interface and controls should be similar to the current click-wheel iPod and iPod Mini, and is expected to be in a storage capacity range of 256 Megabytes to 1 Gigabyte. Pricing is now expected below $200.

Steve Jobs introduced the iPod Mini at last year's MacWorld San Francisco to overwhelming success. It could be expected that the new iPod Flash could debut worldwide at the January MWSF 2005 show.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Again with a Flash based iPod rumor?

Actually, except for making a slot for a flash card, it could be basically the same guts as the iPod mini. So it isn't that much of a design change.

mccoma

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2002
Christmas

wish they had made Christmas.

oh, well I guess they will have to catch all the "I got money" for Christmas crowd

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I might get one. I tend to destroy my MP3 players (mountain biking), so hard drive based ones are no good for me, besides the $$$. Anyway I'm only riding for 1-4 hours, so I don't need all the space. Good deal Apple, a logical step anyway.

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
I still can't believe it. At the introduction of the iPod Photo, Steve Jobs said that the huge market share of the iPod includes "all those flash players that people received as presents and never use".

oingoboingo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Interesting that Steve Jobs has publically derided small capacity flash-RAM MP3 players on a number of occasions, and now is planning to offer one of his own. The Jobs quote that keeps coming to mind is "the flash player that someone gave you as a gift that is now sitting in a drawer somewhere unused". A 1GB flash player might be useful, but I can't see how a 256MB flash player, with a capacity of only a handful of albums, is going to be anything groundbreaking.

Oh well...I suppose we all should know better by now. There were plenty of people who believed the original iPod was a stupid idea, and of course the amount of negative feedback that the iPod mini generated upon its launch looks ridiculous in hindsight, given the success of the product. Maybe we should just shut up and wait and see what happens with the iPod Flash :)

oingoboingo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Bear said:
Again with a Flash based iPod rumor?

Actually, except for making a slot for a flash card, it could be basically the same guts as the iPod mini. So it isn't that much of a design change.

For a flash-RAM only player, somethign the size of the iPod mini would be way too big. Flash-based MP3 players are tiny these days...not much bigger than inline remotes on headphone cords, or the form-factor of USB memory keys. An iPod mini-sized flash player would look like a dinosaur.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
mccoma said:
wish they had made Christmas.

oh, well I guess they will have to catch all the "I got money" for Christmas crowd

I think they are quite happy with this.

Everyone buys iPods and iPod minis for the holiday season, and then Bam! January rolls around and there is another version to get.

Why eat some of your holiday sales if you can delay a new product release by a few months? Enough people will buy both to make it profitable. :D

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
theROZ said:
I think a ipod flash player is a dumb idea....
Just like everyone said the original iPod was a dumb idea and would never sell and was horribly over-priced and was just a waste of engineering...

riiiiiight... I respect your opinion, I just think you're wrong. ;)

I think a flash-based iPod will be hugely successful. It's basically the last market Apple has yet to reach with the iPod brand, and I know of a lot of friends that will be buy a flash 'pod in a second. They all love my iPod but don't want to spend 3-600 bucks on one. For that matter, had I not done the cram 'n' jam I wouldn't have got my iPod, just too much money without the rebate.

I guess time will tell.

But regardless... Go Apple! :D

jgp

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2003
Makes sense with a few adjustments

A flash iPod makes sense. But the rest of the original blurb seems off. First, I would hope that Apple would sell it very cheap without a flash card (less than $75). Second, by time it is introduced a 4Gb micro drive may be feasible at less than $175. If the total is less than $200 and the whole thing is smaller than an iPod mini, it should be a good seller.

wilburpan

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Two observations:

1. Regardless whether you think a 1 GB Flash-based iPod is a good idea or not, the market clearly shows that there are a lot of people who like the idea, implying that for those people, 1 GB of storage is enough. If these people get the FlashPod, and then start using iTunes, and then learn about Macs, that will be a good thing.

2. Doesn't MacRumors get their own rumors anymore? For a while now, MacRumors seems to be just a summary of AppleInsider and ThinkSecret articles, with little original content of its own.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
I think we will also see the mini bumped up to a 5gb and better battery life. Flash is a great idea because there is a huge market there. Remember all the contradictions Steve has made in the past like no windows software, no pizza box imac, etc.

Will Curran

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2004
Phoenix AZ
i like my ipaq 2215 for flash media right now my cheap-o 128mb sandisk holds 20 songs cost me 40 then theirs the price of the ipaq

well...whatever it takes for apple to make money i say...im still waiting for the clothing line

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Maybe they'll make it so you can attach it to your keychain ;)

It's not a dumb idea. It's a brilliant idea. Just because Steve Jobs doesn't like flash-based MP3 players, doesn't mean his company shouldn't sell them. If they want to make more money, they will sell a flash iPod. It only makes sense.

Zigster

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2004
I don't own an ipod, but for 99 bucks I'll buy a flash version.

And that's why they are making them. For people like me. :D

Steamboatwillie

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2003
Memphis, TN
theROZ said:
I think a ipod flash player is a dumb idea....

My friend the engineer once said to me, on the topic of software engineering "When there are more than one good ideas, implement them all"

1) Big iPods for storage hungry users
2) Mini iPods for midrange users and the fashion conscious
3) Flash iPods for budget users and to fill the only niche of the mp3 market that Apple hasn't entered as of yet. (and joggers, bikers, etc)

If this rumor is true then there may be some hope yet that a low end G4 or G5 headless box/cube/sphere/whatever may also be a possibility?

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Veldek said:
I still can't believe it. At the introduction of the iPod Photo, Steve Jobs said that the huge market share of the iPod includes "all those flash players that people received as presents and never use".

Which is 65%. Why not go after that other35%?

Inkmonkey

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2003
Calgary
oingoboingo said:
For a flash-RAM only player, somethign the size of the iPod mini would be way too big. Flash-based MP3 players are tiny these days...not much bigger than inline remotes on headphone cords, or the form-factor of USB memory keys. An iPod mini-sized flash player would look like a dinosaur.

Great Maniacal Macaques! I think a lot of those flash players are way too small to be useful. I think they still need to implement the click wheel into an iPod Flash. But I'm sure Apple will figure out a way to balance the two.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.