Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At the media event February 28th, Apple unveiled an iPod stereo for home use, offering crystal clear sound and a built-in universal iPod dock. The new iPod Hi-Fi measures 17" x 6.6" x 6.9" and includes the Apple Remote.

While normally running on A/C power, the box is alternately powered by D-cell batteries, and features integrated handles to make moving the speakers easy.

The iPod Hi-Fi is priced at US $349 and is available immediately from the Apple Store.

World-class acoustic design
Large soundstage
Precise imaging and separation
Wide frequency range
Room-filling power without distortion
Seamless iPod integration
Apple Remote
AC and DC modes
Analog/digital input
Compact footprint

bitfactory

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Was expecting quite a bit more. This thing is fug. Just a molded plastic box with a black grille on the front. Hmmmph.

Joe2000

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2005
London, UK.
Wow!

I'm amazed the main feature was a Mini?! I was expecting iPod or somthing, anyway if this is first post i'l be amazed:eek:

Apple are going into direct competition with the Bose Soundock, i wonder if they'll still sell other iPod speakers (JBL, BOSE, ALTEC LANSING) at Apple Stores?

Thanks, Joe. :rolleyes:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Weird but cool--and pretty high end for my needs. But if it sounds GOOD the price is justified. (I'm always amazed by how much really good computer speakers cost sometimes--even ones without an iPod dock.) I don't see most people REPLACING their existing stereo system and speakers though. This would be for other rooms of the house.

Steve makes the thing sound well-built at least. How well did it fill the Town Hall? :p

The large album art display is a nice touch (now get it on my TV from iPod!) and the Front Row remote control is expected--but welcome. Aux input is good--so it's not JUST for iPod. And digital/optical input, not just analog. This is certainly high-end in terms of features, as iPod sound systems go.

Adjusting the speakers by using the iPod itself is an interesting way to keep things simple.

I want one--but do I need one? :)

The day's big news is how much faster the Mac Mini just got.

(Now... leather cases? So much for Steve's cruelty-free vegan lifestyle.)

Just remember... whatever you were hoping for (like iBooks) may still be in the works soon. Full-screen iPod? Maybe not... But if you got yourself worked up more than this event was worth, the year's not over yet :)

advocate

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2004
h2feb.jpg

I think that's about the ugliest thing I have ever seen.

millypede

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2004
UK
Way over priced, I hope that the sound quality is amazing, I have trouble enough selling the £200+ speakers, most people will just pick up a cheep set of speakers and use their Hi-Fi, is this was £150 maybe worth purchasing.

intlplby

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2004
the speakers are not removeable so you can't get good stereo separation..... i think it looks good though...... it's definitely for an office, extra room, dorm etc and not to be replacing a proper home stereo

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I already have a Mac, a stereo system, and an Airport Express...why on earth would I want this? Somebody please try to convince me.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Wow, that's ... underwhelming. I'd have expected more from them. It's really nothing more than Yet Another iPod Speaker Box, is it?

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
i think the iPod HiFi looks great and probably sounds pretty great too, but I have two comments:

a) I probably won't buy one, I already have a high-end stereo and nice computer speakers, what's the point of this? where does it fit into my music needs?
b) it seems an odd market to go after - people who want high quality music reproduction, but yet don't understand the limitations of music compression. it's for pseudo-audiophiles, and how big a market is that? (I know you can put uncompressed .wav or .aiff files on an iPod, but still you get my point)

ddrueckhammer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2004
America's Wang
Blah and Meh!

At this price range the only thing that this product competes with is the Bose Sound Dock. I'm not sure about sound quality but the Bose design is much better to my eyes. At a lower price point JBL, Creative are all more interesting and lower priced.

This will never replace the combination of a good stereo and an Airport Express. My HK receiver isn't going anywhere...

Good point about Steve not replacing his stereo with this...I'm sure he has B&O stuff or something...

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
1980s redux

I don't know about this one. Usually, for me, it's love at first isight with Apple products. However, wouldn't most real audiophiles, if using an iPod at all, be using it to encode their CDs at high bitrates and play it through their high-end systems?

However, I accept the fact that Steve Jobs is orders of magnitude smarter than me and must know what he's doing. A few years ago, I remember, there was a market for sort of retro table-top stereo sets with nice speakers, so why not a high-end boombox?

It would be nice for travel, I guess--get to the hotel, plug it in, and have a home-stereo equivalent.

The price seems a shade high, though, considering that Bose has a similar offering for $300 US.

However, if it sounds good enough, people will pay for it because of the Apple brand.

mattalici

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2003
LA
you guys need to get into THE HYPE

OK, what I want to know is:

1. If it can be positioned anywhere, does that mean that it can fake surround sound? (Like that new Sony speaker that is one speaker and does 5.1?)
2. Is that what Steve meant by he's replacing his home stereo?
3. To all the haters: How can you guys know if it sucks when you've never heard it?
4. Can you play multiple HiFi's all over your house at the same time?

I LOVE THIS THING. SO COOL. GIMME THREE. :eek:

mackeeper

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2006
I'm really dissappointed. It's just speakers, and it
doesn't look all that great either. What a letdown. I didn't think there was really anything to write home about in today's event.

MacPhreak

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2004
Lexington, KY
No thanks.

I don't understand the "large soundstage" bit. In order to have good stereo separation, you need to SEPARATE the speakers. Like SIX FEET plus. Henry Kloss understood this, which is why we have the Tivoli Model One and PAL. When the speakers are one foot apart, you won't be able to tell it's stereo from across the room.

Sorry, not a stereo replacement, and certainly not for $350. Tivoli makes better sounding gear for less, and it's not cocooned in plastic, either.

technocoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2002
Raleigh, NC
ok, ok,

obviously this isn't for you if you already have a stereo and such... Apple sisn't sit down and say, hey that guy over there, we have to make sure we make HIM happy today!

damn.

and in case you haven't noticed there are about 50 of this same type of product selling like mad. SOMEBODY is buying them. So Apple made one that sounds really nice and has great power.

I don't understand people's confusion here... It's a no brainer.

That said, the mini is nice, but we knew it was coming and the whole thing was a bit underwhelming. BUT, I'm glad they are starting to roll out new products on a regular basis, so it is very likely we could see something else next month.

Phase IV

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2002
kwajo.com said:
i think the iPod HiFi looks great and probably sounds pretty great too, but I have two comments:

a) I probably won't buy one, I already have a high-end stereo and nice computer speakers, what's the point of this? where does it fit into my music needs?
b) it seems an odd market to go after - people who want high quality music reproduction, but yet don't understand the limitations of music compression. it's for pseudo-audiophiles, and how big a market is that? (I know you can put uncompressed .wav or .aiff files on an iPod, but still you get my point)

I agree!

I was hoping for a must-have item or something along Sonos' device and am totally underwhelmed by this event.
I hope they are saving their best for an anniversary event!!

MrCommunistGen

macrumors regular
I don't think so...

it uses 2 80mm (3.15in)"full range" drivers and a 130mm (5.12in)woofer. It doesn't have a tweeter, so chances of getting clear trebble are not good.
"Frequency response: 53Hz to 16kHz" For a system of this size the bass extension is pretty good, but anything half way decent should have treble response out to 20kHz. Standard woofer-cone type speakers really aren't designed for high frequencies, and the larger the cone, the worse at trebble reproduction it is bound to be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.