Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

retrospek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
UK
I really thought we would get something 'great' announced today...

What a disappointment :mad:

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
sishaw said:
I don't know about this one. Usually, for me, it's love at first isight with Apple products. However, wouldn't most real audiophiles, if using an iPod at all, be using it to encode their CDs at high bitrates and play it through their high-end systems?

Real audiophiles would just play the CD.

mackeeper

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2006
TODAY WAS A COMPLETE LETDOWN!

1) $99 for a leather case??? No way. I'd rather buy ANOTHER IPOD!

2) iPod Hi Fi? Are they serious? Come on Steve, I thought you were joking at first. The thing looks like a piece of ****. I still dont have speakers but I still I think I'm going to go with JBL's Creature II. I thought at least the Hi Fi would have had a large LCD screen with iTunes interface. Or maybe thatll come out next month as iPod Jukebox. Pshhh...

3) The mac mini, not so great either. And integrated graphics? What is that? No new design, nothing special.

Totally disappointed. Come on Apple, this is the worst I've seen you.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Look at the negative votes.... all because rumors, and rumors alone, gave people ideas that this particular event would bring something else?

iPod Hi-Fi would have been more "fun" without rumors to spoil it I think :)

It may be time to break out the dreaded Thread 500:
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=500

Negative votes today often mean massive sales tomorrow... weird!

wkhahn

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2005
standing over your shoulder
So much for the...

Unexpected.

The Mini is nice; especially with the ability to stream from anythign else on the subnetwork. Use Handbrake to rip, and an old Mac to act as a server; put this in place of your DVD player, and you can stream movies to your TV, stream music to your stereo. But how to have it hooked up to your TV and use as a computer too? Wouldn't want to look at the TV when working in Excel.

The Red Wolf

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2004
Occi Dens Pacifica
I hate you all.

Apple releases something amazing and because it's not a Flying BMW with a Mach 10 speed rating and a PowerMac 16 Core system running the engine control for .35 cents for the entire flying car you all get angry and feel Apple has slighted you because they brought out an amazing sound system that everyone and their dog's uncle will buy who already have an iPod. Ugly? Overpriced, lame... Meh? Who are you people? It has optical audio out! You can plug it in to an AirPort Express and broadcast your music wirelessly... It has a dock on top! Even old school G2 and G1s can connect to it. MEH? MEH? So sorry they didn't bring out an Mac Book Duo or a Mac Pro Octiplatform with 8 processors and 16 cores with Hyperthreading and Quad SLI... What is wrong with you people!

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
MrCommunistGen said:
it uses 2 80mm (3.15in)"full range" drivers and a 130mm (5.12in)woofer. It doesn't have a tweeter, so chances of getting clear trebble are not good.
"Frequency response: 53Hz to 16kHz" For a system of this size the bass extension is pretty good, but anything half way decent should have treble response out to 20kHz. Standard woofer-cone type speakers really aren't designed for high frequencies, and the larger the cone, the worse at trebble reproduction it is bound to be.

MP3s will generally roll-off around 16Khz - 18Khz so it's not horrible for compressed music playback.

MrCommunistGen

macrumors regular
Intel=Bad for creativity?

mackeeper said:
TODAY WAS A COMPLETE LETDOWN!

1) $99 for a leather case??? No way. I'd rather buy ANOTHER IPOD!

2) iPod Hi Fi? Are they serious? Come on Steve, I thought you were joking at first. The thing looks like a piece of ****. I still dont have speakers but I still I think I'm going to go with JBL's Creature II. I thought at least the Hi Fi would have had a large LCD screen with iTunes interface. Or maybe thatll come out next month as iPod Jukebox. Pshhh...

3) The mac mini, not so great either. And integrated graphics? What is that? No new design, nothing special.

Totally disappointed. Come on Apple, this is the worst I've seen you.

Using Intel has leached away all of Apple's creativity... :(

UWF404

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
hosting these buzz generating private media events and only to release mediocre products will end up hurting Apple. Like the boy that cried wolf one too many times.

Such hype over a speaker box, a $99 scrap of leather and a mac mini bump with integrated graphics? what a joke these events have turned into.

billraff

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2006
Would have been better product if it had WiFi so you could stream your library from anywhere around the house. I might have bit for one of those.

sam10685

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Portland, OR
that's nice... where is the cool inovative new products Apple usually comes out with? i was expecting a lot more goodies. NEXT...???

NEENAHBOY

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
Arlington, VA
That is quite possibly the ugliest Apple product I've ever seen. Here's hoping for big announcements at an anniversary event.

/me sadly puts away his credit card

wkhahn

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2005
standing over your shoulder
True

nagromme said:
Look at the negative votes.... all because rumors, and rumors alone, gave people ideas that this particular event would bring something else?

iPod Wi-Fi would have been more "fun" without rumors to spoil it I think :)

It may be time to break out the dreaded Thread 500:
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=500

Negative votes today often mean massive sales tomorrow... weird!

I'd never seen Thread 500 before. What a great little piece of history. I wonder how many of those same people think the world of their iPod today.

sanfordcisco

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2006
Lo Fi!!

Move along folks, nothing to see here....

The Leather case announcement would've put me straight to sleep if it weren't for the absolutely SHOCKING price!!!!!!! WTF!?

He called all those people in for that?? I hope they all got free coffee...

ThePreacherMan

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2004
Southern Arizona
Not impressed!!!

Was hopeful for some kind of miniture Boombox with AM/FM stereo with an intergrated Ipod operated by a touch screen. That would have been COOL and worth buying. Oh well, Keep trying Apple.

Now that Preaches!

tk421

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2005
Los Angeles
billraff said:
Would have been better product if it had WiFi so you could stream your library from anywhere around the house. I might have bit for one of those.

Yeah, I was thinking it would be something like that. Like an Airport Express with speakers and a screen.

dialectician

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2006
technocoy said:
obviously this isn't for you if you already have a stereo and such... Apple sisn't sit down and say, hey that guy over there, we have to make sure we make HIM happy today!

damn.

and in case you haven't noticed there are about 50 of this same type of product selling like mad. SOMEBODY is buying them. So Apple made one that sounds really nice and has great power.

I don't understand people's confusion here... It's a no brainer.

True, there are lots of these speakers selling, but you'd expect Apple to come out with something more exciting. Why should we trust Apple when it comes to producing speakers? Their specialties are computers and ipods. If B&O or Harman came out with these speakers it would be a different story. Now it just seems like Apple wants to get a piece of that market.

What are they going to come out with next: hairdryers?

findpankaj

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2005
wPod said:
$99 for a leather case?!?! are they serious!!!!!!!!

with all my controls inside it...invisible....:confused:
i think its cheap for apple to sell just a leather case with its brand name/logo on it....What apple did here is just outsourced this leather case thing to some partners/friends with rights to sell with their brand name.

money making gimmick...

imanta

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2005
Get of the bandwagon for a second...

Holy crap people, get off the bandwagon and look at this reasonably.

I am a proud owner of multiple Macs, Displays, iPods, etc and a former employee of Apple. This is a "me-too" total letdown of an announcement and nothing more. The Mini crap should have been done before and this is catch-up. I already can hook my TV to my Mini and listen to Music/browse Photos on my main system. The oversight in terms of lack of IR in the first versions was disgraceful. And how good will those videos look that you got off iTunes at such a low res once you stream them over to your 50" LCD TV?

The Hi-Fi is an over-priced speaker system that in NO WAY can replace a good home speaker system and is grossly over-sized to compete with the existing systems out there. It is hot looking, totally... but it is just another iPod speaker.

I didn't buy into the rumors before hand, BUT I WAS HOPING FOR MORE THAN THIS from a company that built itself on being innovative. They could have done a ton more with both of these.

Bad Beaver

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2003
While I am not really the target group for this speaker, I think the design is meant to blend in with most interiors, sth. a more extravagant design cannot do. People will likely put these on bookshevles / sideboards a lot. I guess it will look great on an Ikea LACK, for example. Real world listening will have to tell whether it is worth the price, but along with an APX it makes for a very non-clunky solution of rigging out places with speakers all over.

sam10685

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Portland, OR
NEENAHBOY said:
That is quite possibly the ugliest Apple product I've ever seen. Here's hoping for big announcements at an anniversary event.

/me sadly puts away his credit card

that is exactly what i am doing right now. :( maybe april first will be a bang... :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.