Ipod Horror Stories! How did you destroy yours?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Cindynjgirl79, May 1, 2007.

1. Cindynjgirl79 macrumors 6502a

Cindynjgirl79

I was just wondering if anyone had ipod horror stories? Mine, is that my 60gb black baby fell out of my bag and i ran over it with a car. I didn't evern realize it untill i was at work. so i went back to find it. there it is in the driveway! i had it in leather case on it that's all. you could see where i drove over it. gravel marks on the case. i open the case and thinking i'm going to see the insides of my ipod all over the place. Get this nothing! screen worked, it turned on. (yes it was a sad ipod face) but hey still not bad. i look on the back a slight dent on the bottom! that is it! i ran it over with a car! this is the point i think my life is over, i going to have to buy a new one for $400! my ipod was my baby before i got my macbook. i call apple they say i can trade it in but i might have to pay $250 or more. once again not bad, i can deal with it. so next week i make an appointment at the Genius Bar to see what they have to say. mind u the tech over the phone told me not to tell them that i ran it over with a car. (for that alone i love them) so this mac genius takes a look at it. sees that i has the dent says it might has something to do with the hard drive. Takes it in the back for a few mins comes back says it is the hard drive and since i have applecare would i like a brand new one? at this point i want to give him my 1st born child (or some other sexual favor, he was dreamy. i think it's the lighting in the apple store makes all the guys work there hot. or the geek factor that does it for me.) goes and gets me a new one, i buy another few more years of applecare and a hard case for it. i was in there maybe and half and hour with a new ipod and a crush on any guys who work for apple. So tell me you what you have done to yours!

2. smoothweb macrumors newbie

Ipod woopsie

Came home from work.... threw jacket on the floor (stopped being messy now!). Woke up next day after not bothering to hang my jacket up. Forgot the ipod was in it. Trod on it... heard a crack (thought it was something else). Went to work listening to music etc etc. Took it out to find the screen all cracked (heart failure point..). Call Apple, they tell me that i'll have to pay 150 GBP to replace the screen. I laughed and said no thanks. Went to Ebay picked one up for 15 GBP. Self fitted. All happy now! :)

3. Cindynjgirl79 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cindynjgirl79

did u have applecare? it's prety cool u did it yourself.

4. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

My most recent one (I've had about 15, not because they break, I just love iPods) has been thrown around, dropped on the floor, used for more then a year with no case or protection in every situation imaginable. It looks horrible.

One trip to http://cnn.cn, bought a replacement body and trackwheel and boom - its brand new!

5. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

My brother lost his when we ran across a busy street (Yonge Street, for those that know Toronto) late one night. It dropped out of his pants and by the time we found it, it had been run over and was sitting in pieces on the road.

The thing is, it was a first-gen Nano (remember those Ars Technica torture tests?). It likely would have survived, were it not for the fact that just a few weeks ago I convinced my brother to buy a case. From the way the iPod casing was bent, it was clear that the iPod had landed on its back, balanced on the belt clip, and when the car ran over it, the belt clip acted like a fulcrum for basically folding the iPod over until it cracked. If he had not had the case, it's quite possible it would have survived.

He was quite upset with me after that, so I bought him a new second-gen Nano a few weeks later after they were released.

To date he has not bought a case for it.

6. smoothweb macrumors newbie

Nope it was still within the usual 1 yr warranty (yeh i was tight sure I said its only an ipod HA!)

Anywho, only pain in the backside was opening it up, the rest was pretty straightforward.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I went running with mine. Over time, the drive failed. I bought a nano and haven't looked back. :)

Sorry for the uber scary horror story. I hope none of you have nightmares.

8. DreamNshadow macrumors newbie

LOL, that's exactly how I think about the girls that work at the Apple Store.:p

9. MacAnkka macrumors regular

2G nano 2gb. dropped from 1.5m on a marble floor. It hit the floor on the upper-right corner. The Aluminium dented a little bit, but it's hardly noticeable.

Other than that, my iPod has had a pretty boring life.

10. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

Well, my iPod Mini didn't die, but it should be dead and buried by now.

First scare: Was pushed at school, dropped it down 3 levels of hallways, which is about 50 stairs. Had a few scratches, still worked fine.

Second Scare: Got whipped out of my hand when my friend tackled me from behind. Flew about 2 feet in the air and about 2 yards down the hall, down a flight of the (same) stairs. Had a small crack on the screen.

Third scare: Bumped off a desk. Corners got pushed in.

It's also been dropped of the cement a few times, making the sides of the ipod unbearable to look at.

It still holds a nice daily charge, though.

11. sthpark7791 macrumors regular

My first iPod was actually already damaged. I got a 20GB (4G) from ebay with a cracked screen for $50. It worked fine for a while until it started skipping and randomly turning off. Then one day, it started smoking. It still turned on though. After a while, it just stopped responding. I can still connect it to the computer today and hear the HDD spin.

12. RedDragon870503 macrumors 6502

RedDragon870503

My mini stopped working (broken screen and battery) and the gen 1 nanos had just come out so I did a burnout with my truck and ran it over... redefined a million little pieces.

13. Cindynjgirl79 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cindynjgirl79

14. nohma macrumors newbie

This one night, I'd just had a fight with someone and I was so pissed that I smashed my bag onto the ground (knowing my iPod and all sorts of stuff were in there). It was only 'till I came home an hour later that I found the iPod in my bag, broken into all sorts of bits... I have no regret whatsoever, that 3rd generation iPod had served me extremely well for years (for music and for file backup/transfer) and was getting towards the end of its lifeline anyway. I loved those touch buttons and the red lights as well (more than I do the clicking ones). The day after I went and bought me a 5th generation iPod, that I hold untill today, and that's even greater (the screen! the size!). I have a tendency to destroy electronic objects that have served me for years (e.g. my cell phone once got smashed into a wall after three and a half years of heavy duty). I prefer that over having them go faulty (software or hardware wise). What is to become of the 5th generation iPod, only time will tell. Also know that I am by nature extremely non-violent towards people. :)

15. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Whoa...

Dude, what high school do you go to? You get beat up a lot?

16. triobot macrumors member

triobot

4th gen ipod - case /w magnet, HDD failure opened it up, accidentally broke the ribbon connecting front case to back...

Another 4th gen, opened the case, kept swtiching HDD without taking battery out, Ipod front case broke...

Waiting for summer to get money to buy two front covers and one back... already bought a HDD

17. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

It's called Trinity High School. Nah, I don't really get beat up...I get 'messed with', but by no means beaten up.
    Note the first push was on accident, and the tackle was a friendly one.:D

18. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Well...I left my 4G on the charger for two days (First iPod;I had only had it for 4 days too.:() and the battery life went from 10 hours or whatever it was to 45 minutes.:( Over time, the HDD failed from me dropping it all the time.

My 5.5 G's screen cracked when I fell on it after I tripped. Got replaced by Apple for free.suckers(Had it for 3 days; see the pattern? Next time i get an iPod, it's staying in the box for a week. :D)

Oh also, I dropped my 1G iPod Shuffle in a lake. Haven't seen it sense.:eek: :p :rolleyes:

Actually looking into a 4G again, we'll see...

19. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

Hah, not really a horror story, expect how dumb I was:

I had an iPod Photo, which I loved. In fact, I got in the habit of putting it in the breast pocket of the dress shirts I'm always wearing to work. Of course, every so often I would forget it was there, bend over for some reason, and BANG it hits the ground.

After going through this a few times you'd think I'd learn not to keep it in my breast pocket. But Nooooo... I start to think to myself, hey, this thing is invulnerable, it's a rock, it doesn't break no matter what I do!

That was a great theory...until about the 20th drop. I now have a black 5G.

The old iPod Photo lives on as a hard drive--the screen stopped working and although it does play music, it freezes up occasionally (and it's difficult to navigate the menus when you can't see them). :D

20. Cindynjgirl79 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cindynjgirl79

i have only seen one girl at the apple store near me and she was a monster! :eek: has anyone seen a hot girl working at the apple store near them?

21. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Two weeks ago, I drove off with my 30 gig iPod with Video resting atop my car. When I got to my destination, it was gone. That was awful.

22. CptnJustc macrumors 6502

Do you go to the one at the Short Hills Mall? I don't know about hot, but there have been a couple cuties.

23. Cindynjgirl79 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cindynjgirl79

no talking about the one in bridgewater.this was a few months ago also. haven't seen her since.

24. confirmed macrumors regular

confirmed

i have a similar story to the original poster...
    i had my first ipod, a 10G first gen, in my bag, tied not so well on the back of my bike. i was riding along, hit a bump in the road and the bag fell off. i was a little worried, but thought the ipod could take the 3 foot fall okay. unfortunately, while i was trying to stop and turn around to pick it up, a bus turned the corner and ran right over it.

i couldn't even look. i waited until later that day to see what had come of my poor ipod. i pulled it out of my bag.. looked untouched. i turned it on and it worked!! it'd played half a song.. and then.. locked up. i restarted it, only to see the unhappy ipod icon.

apparently the hard drive got killed, it only worked for half the song because that was in the cache already. once it had to start pulling from the HD again, it died.

i still have that old ipod. it amazes me to see the changes between now and then. full size firewire port. actual buttons. it's a beautiful thing. someday i may just go ahead and buy a new drive for it.

25. jialuolu macrumors regular

My first iPod (3G) died a tragic death.. It fell out of my back pocket and into a toilet. After I dried it out, the backlight would turn on but nothing else. Then I dropped my 1st gen mini on the bus and it slid basically across the entire bus and the entire face got completely scuffed up. So now my 5G is encased in an Invisible Shield and an iSkin :D