Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hockeyhammer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Canada
Okay so my brother got a brand new iPod Touch 4th gen a couple months ago. This morning we took the clothes out of the washer and sitting at the bottom was his iPod. It is not physicaly damaged or dented (it actually looks like some of the scratches are gone) but its soaked. You can see the water behind the front camera (and soap bubbles). Since last year he dropped his old one in the toilet (we should really stop buying him nice things) I knew what to do. I put it in a bag of rice and no one has tried to power it up. So I have a couple questions:
1. How long should I leave it in the rice?
2. What are the chances it will work again?
3. It had a screen protector on it at the time should I remove it?
4. If it is dead is there any way that apple may replace it or something (I haven't checked the liquid sensors yet but i'm sure they have been set)?
5. If it's completely dead or non-operable will I be able to recover the photos and data like notes etc. (The last backup was about 2 weeks ago and he takes alot of pics)

All of your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Update:
I just checked the water sensor in the earphone jack and it is still white! Couldn't find the one in the dock though. If it dies does this mean I can get it replaced for free since there is no indication of damage?

Last edited:

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Okay so my brother got a brand new iPod Touch 4th gen a couple months ago. This morning we took the clothes out of the washer and sitting at the bottom was his iPod. It is not physicaly damaged or dented (it actually looks like some of the scratches are gone) but its soaked. You can see the water behind the front camera (and soap bubbles). Since last year he dropped his old one in the toilet (we should really stop buying him nice things) I knew what to do. I put it in a bag of rice and no one has tried to power it up. So I have a couple questions:
1. How long should I leave it in the rice?
2. What are the chances it will work again?
3. It had a screen protector on it at the time should I remove it?
4. If it is dead is there any way that apple may replace it or something (I haven't checked the liquid sensors yet but i'm sure they have been set)?
5. If it's completely dead or non-operable will I be able to recover the photos and data like notes etc. (The last backup was about 2 weeks ago and he takes alot of pics)

All of your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Update:
I just checked the water sensor in the earphone jack and it is still white! Couldn't find the one in the dock though. If it dies does this mean I can get it replaced for free since there is no indication of damage?

1) At least a week.
2) It depends. Since it was in there for the full duration of the washing machine cycle, it could have gotten more exposed to water. But it doesn't matter how much it got exposed, it matters if it shorts out. That is why its hard to say.
3) You don't have to.
4) Refer to what is being written below this list.
5) If it starts up again, then you should be able to recover it. If it doesn't work, then the most recent backup is what he will have.

About the replacement, since you said that the stickers are still white, then Apple probably would replace it. It's not the honest thing to do, but eh. However, if they notice the water in the camera lens, they might be able to justify water damage even though the stickers were not set off. Hopefully the rice will at least absorb the visible water from the lens even if it can't revitalize the iPod. That gives you a better chance with Apple.
According to this page (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3302?viewlocale=en_US), the iPod Touch only has 1 external moisture sensor (which I can confirm on my 1G and 3G iPod Touch).

Hope this helps :)

hockeyhammer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Canada
1) At least a week.
2) It depends. Since it was in there for the full duration of the washing machine cycle, it could have gotten more exposed to water. But it doesn't matter how much it got exposed, it matters if it shorts out. That is why its hard to say.
3) You don't have to.
4) Refer to what is being written below this list.
5) If it starts up again, then you should be able to recover it. If it doesn't work, then the most recent backup is what he will have.

About the replacement, since you said that the stickers are still white, then Apple probably would replace it. It's not the honest thing to do, but eh. However, if they notice the water in the camera lens, they might be able to justify water damage even though the stickers were not set off. Hopefully the rice will at least absorb the visible water from the lens even if it can't revitalize the iPod. That gives you a better chance with Apple.
According to this page (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3302?viewlocale=en_US), the iPod Touch only has 1 external moisture sensor (which I can confirm on my 1G and 3G iPod Touch).

Hope this helps :)

Thanks for the help! I'll wait and see what happens.

TheKnowledgeGuy

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2010
Since you got it a few months ago...

Since you got it a few months ago, IF THE iPOD REALLY WON'T WORK NOW, the warranty might still be in existence from that(1 year, amirite? or ACPP), but if it isn't, go to a local Apple Store and say the old “It just stopped working.” to the Genius Bar staff. I haven't needed to do this before as I am still using my one loyal device, but I learned that form a thread a long while ago. Have fun.

LeighAnna Jones

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
My friend dropped her iPod touch in the toilet. (Knocked it off the counter)

She put it in a bag of rice for about a week; and when she took it out there was water behind the screen but no other signs of damadge. About three days later the water evaporated leaving no traces of water damadge.
She sold it online later.

Keep it in the rice for a week. Don't know much about warranty, though.

Also check the pockets in your clothes from now on, it will save you alot of trouble.

EDIT:
If it doesn't work, take it back to the apple store. Say "It just went black and wouldn't turn on." Only do this if there are no WHATSOEVER water marks, soap bubbles, or water drops. They will ask you what happened. Stick to the story above. Under no circumstances tell them it got washed. They will not replace it. It the iPod is under warranty, you can get a replacement.

Abscissa

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
VA
I think the biggest problem is the fact that there is soap in it. People drop them in water a lot and if they don't power it on and throw it in some rice it usually works a week later. But the soap will leave residues.

I heard from someone who dropped it in soda (sugars will ruin it) that they actually submerged it in water then put it in rice and it worked a week or 2 later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.