Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iTeen

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2007
Washington
This one is still up, I guess it's hosted in Sweden so beyond the range of Apple legal.

26892_450.jpg

Take into account that the colours are washed out because there's at least three levels of redirect here (the original, unprocessed, picture used as the basis of the Photoshop manipulation; the LCD screen the thing is being viewed on, and the cameraphone that was obviously used to take the photo of the screen.)

And yes, it is called the nano.
i bet thats them

Bimmi

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
I've not read the entire thread, but am I the only one who thinks that these pics show a new form factor for the standard HD-based iPod and not the Nano? I could see something like this slotted between the Nano and full-screen models, but I just can't imagine how this could be considered an improvement to the Nano line, bigger display notwithstanding.

If it were up to me, I'd keep video off the Nano entirely. It's not appropiate and it's not needed, and keeping the full-size and Nano lines functionally distinct would mean that many more extra sales for Apple (Yay capitalism!)

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
(A)m I the only one who thinks that these pics show a new form factor for the standard HD-based iPod and not the Nano? I could see something like this slotted between the Nano and full-screen models, but I just can't imagine how this could be considered an improvement to the Nano line, bigger display notwithstanding.

No you are not. While I no longer have a stake in the Nano (having gone to the iPhone), the Nano's form factor is what convinced me to buy an MP3 player. If what is being claimed is the new Nano was the original, I'd still be playing CD-Rs in a portable CD player. :eek: :(

I too am hoping this is the new "iPod Mini", replacing the current iPod and iPod Video (while making way for the top-end "iPod Touch"), and the Nano will remain unchanged.

Bimmi

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
I would find these a lot more palatable as standard iPods. I don't think they're hideous (though I do prefer the current proportions), but for the Nano it strikes me as a distinct step backwards.

Mitch1984

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2005
Telford
I've not read the entire thread, but am I the only one who thinks that these pics show a new form factor for the standard HD-based iPod and not the Nano? I could see something like this slotted between the Nano and full-screen models, but I just can't imagine how this could be considered an improvement to the Nano line, bigger display notwithstanding.

If it were up to me, I'd keep video off the Nano entirely. It's not appropiate and it's not needed, and keeping the full-size and Nano lines functionally distinct would mean that many more extra sales for Apple (Yay capitalism!)

I think it looks like in between a nanno and the current 5.5G iPod. I think that they must believe that the next video iPod is too much of a jump up from the nano. so that's why they'll do this.

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
So the nano retains its thinness, becomes a bit shorter and adds width. New colors, bigger screen (320x240 or 640x480?). The nano essentially replaces the 5g iPod, except for storage. Maybe iPod games will now be playable on the nano.

I'm with you on this... who knows how they'll market it, but

Consider something with the dimensions 3 inch H x 4 inch W x .2 inch D or so.

That would give it room for say a 2.6 inch W x 1.5" H just a tad shy of true 16:9 screen ratio. That could give you a 416x240 screen at 160ppi, which is the same screen density as the iphone.

I basically said the same thing in another thread earlier, so I hope I don't give anyone deja vu.

We'll find out next week!

freddiecable

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2003
Sweden
thx :) I made it quite quickly and didn't really put any effort into it and I agree that there are downsides with the design like that. But from what I see from the recent mock-ups the same downsides are there...the scroll-wheel to far down which makes it difficult to hold with one hand and scroll. the nano is perfect today for that purpose. but apple might be able to make it "rotary" som the user can choose what way to hold it? anyhow - this design (mine) is using the "real estate" better.

It looks nice, actually it would probably be one of the top two best looking iPods if it was ever made, but imagine actually using it... with one hand. That's one thing that sets the regular iPod apart from most imitators. I cannot imagine using it with one hand.

Usability first, looks second. Even for Apple.

Codemonkey

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2002
Edmonton
Now that we know they were not fake, what do you have to say for yourself? Idiot.

Hey hey. Get back under that bridge.

1) The "psd" file is either a really rough concept mockup from Cupertino, or some amateur with one leaked photo and decided to flex that awesome creative prowess. Whether it was a red herring or not, it was a considerable indicator as to what it wasn't.

2) Aside from that, I think deep down inside, the naysayers (me included) didn't want it to be real, becuase it's so frickin' ugly.

3) I still hate it, and can't wait for the new nano to go away.

4) I personally will stand up and say I stand corrected.

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
I didn't get to see it. Did anyone else save the images? I want to know cause I don't like my blackberry and I'll gladly trade it in for this.

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
talk about bringing a dead thread back :eek:
Prior to the last 2 posts above mine it was back in 2007 that this was replied in :rolleyes: Sure you replied in the right thread :D

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
I didn't get to see it. Did anyone else save the images? I want to know cause I don't like my blackberry and I'll gladly trade it in for this.

They look exactly like the current iPod nanos.

nanospyshot300ig9.png

As for posting it on here after it's been removed, I figure it's okay now since they've already been released for about 8 months. If it's an issue, then by all means, remove it.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
They look exactly like the current iPod nanos.

nanospyshot300ig9.png

As for posting it on here after it's been removed, I figure it's okay now since they've already been released for about 8 months. If it's an issue, then by all means, remove it.

Dear zephead,

We must object to you posting these pictures of pre-release Apple products on the internets. Please cease and desist immediately in your rumour-mongering, or we will be forced to do many nasty things to your family/pets/home (please choose one). While we realize that these are no longer pre-release products, they were at the time this picture was taken, and could pose a threat to the past once Apple releases Time Machine Take 2... But you didn't hear that from us.

Hail Steve,

The Friendly Apple Legal Team

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.