ipod now or wait for the iphone? need advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macnewbbie, Dec 23, 2007.

1. macnewbbie macrumors regular

hi!
    i was about to buy an ipod nano tomorrow but i've been thinking, the iphone will come out in my country in maybe 3 months an i will buy it and i don't know if i should buy an ipod nano now and later the iphone or wait to the iphone and use the iphone as ipod too.
    what do u think?
    thanks

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Honestly - and I might get burned for saying this...

I've owned the iPhone since launch - and it really does not perform great as a phone, OR an ipod. Ipods are wonderful because of ease of use, and simple operation. Touch-screen ONLY interface removes this - you can't look away and skip ahead or back tracks like you can on the Nano. (or older ipods)

And as a phone - I think it sucks. Signal strength is "acceptable" at best - and seems to vary widely - even when stationary. (I've since learned this is a fact of life with GSM) And again with the buttons - lack of buttons make it a cumbersome phone to use if you can't stop and pay full attention to the screen.

Finally - if you listen to music via nice speakers or in your car - the GSM interference can REALLY cut into your music. (and it happens quite a bit over here in the US)

3. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

I just purchased a nano and I plan on picking iPhone v2 when it is released. The battery life on the nano is a big plus imo... its nice to have on trips or just day to day and allows you to save iphone battery life for surfing the web and making calls. The nano is so small, you probably wont even notice it in your bag.

If cost is not an issue, I say pick up a nano now and wait for iPhone rev 2

4. macnewbbie thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the opinion. actually now that i think about it, to change tracks in a touch screen it's probably not the best...
    today i tried an ipod touch, not for long and not much, just the menu and safari and i really like it, so it made my wish of get an iphone bigger. Im really confused about what should i buy =/
    Im confused because i just don't want to put the nano a side when i buy the iphone...I just hope that when come out here it comes with 3g speed.

5. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

I doubt that that will happen. You can use the nano in many situation when using and iPhone would not be the best idea... for example working out, on an plane or long car trip. You can also use the Nano over a long period of time without charging unlike an iPhone.

Good luck with your decision!

6. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Unless an iPhone with buttons / click wheel shows up in the future - I won't be going round two.

And to be frank, I'm likely not going to follow through with round 1.

It is a neat, shiny and lust-worthy device - until you have to use it on a regular basis. Then the shine wears off, and you find out how incredibly slippery it is, how annoying the "special" headphone jack is, and you (#*$ yourself a few times because of the GSM interference outta nowhere.

Plus - they have YET to fix the web-browsing / music lockup issue. (a feature it was advertised in doing - but can't do IRL - as it crashes when you try)

And the web is not the "real internet" as there is no flash as of yet.

7. macnewbbie thread starter macrumors regular

Well, i guess im going to buy the nano, and like djejrejk said i can save battery on the iphone for other stuff like web or video.

How is the battery life on the ipod nano? at the moment i have a creative zen v and the battery go away really quick, like in one day or half day, its almost empty.

8. macnewbbie thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone?
    I know that in the apple website it says 24 hours, but not always in different brands the products battery life or other specs match with what was announced.
    Thanks

9. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

It depends on your uses. I have a nano, a 5th gen video iPod, and a shuffle. None get used except for my iPhone because I prefer to just carry around one device. If I was going to do a long car trip I suppose I might dust off my 5th gen iPod.

Also, take what Big-TDI-Guy says with a grain of salt. With all due respect to his opinions on the iPhone, which he has laid out in a clear and succinct manner, I think his is a minority view. I certainly don't share his opinions about it, and I think most people agree that it's one of the greatest gadgets around today.

Good luck with your decision.

10. macnewbbie thread starter macrumors regular

Now im confused again =/ It would be a waste of many buy the nano now and in some months just put it away...i'll have to think better.

11. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

nano now wait for phone.

an ipod is never a waste of money. look at the iphone as a phone with an ipod. not an ipod with a phone

12. macnewbbie thread starter macrumors regular

When im out of home im always listen to music, so with an iphone i would probably use all the battery using it as ipod and won't be able to use as a phone...

13. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

i'm with desenso. i just sold my 5G 60GB video ipod because i rarely used it after i got my iphone. i have a nano still, but that stays in my car hooked up to my stereo there and i no longer use it for working out like i used to. my iphone is my ipod of choice now - it is a great phone AND a great ipod for me. and i've used a lot of different cell phones and ipods previously to which i can compare it.

i have no problem changing the volume by feel using the buttons on the side, or advancing through tracks using the oem headphone clicker (or the v-moda vibe duos that now have the playback control clicker also).

so my vote is for an iphone - you'll most likely just end up using the nano less and less once you get an iphone anyway. though, you could just plan on buying the nano now and selling it after you get an iphone if you want...

14. macnewbbie thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe that's what im going to do if i stop using the nano after i buy the iphone. This would be a lot easier if the iphone was already available in my country and i didn't had to wait maybe 3 months, nobody knows yet...

15. Surely Guest

Surely

How are you enjoying the v-moda vibe duos? I've been looking at those for a while. I'm moving to LA from Toronto, and am planning on picking up an iPhone and the vibe duos when I get there. Are they noticeably better than the headphones that the iPhone comes with?

I'm curious to see if the iPhone will become my default iPod at the gym or not. I guess I'll end up selling my 30 GB 5G iPod if it does (and only if Apple introduces a larger capacity iPhone). I'm also going to start jogging, and am thinking that I'm going to have to pick up a nano for that- I guess I'll use the proceeds from the sale of my 5G iPod for it.

My advice to you, macnewbbie: Either wait if you aren't sure what to do, or buy the nano and sell it once you have the iPhone (and if you see that you aren't using the nano anymore). Just keep it in good condition- buy a case for it so it doesn't get scratched.

16. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

All places and activities I use my iPhone with no problems. As far as time between charges, what would you consider "long"? I've yet to come close to fully discharging the battery, even after a long day of talking, browsing, music, etc., etc. I've quit worrying about it, frankly.

17. Surely Guest

Surely

How often do you charge it? Daily or only when it needs it?

18. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

the v-moda's are pretty good (i'm in the process of writing a full review for my site), but not as good as my etymotic er-6's (not nearly as clear or even across the full range of sound). i do find the v-moda's to have better sound quality than the oem headphones that came with the iphone, but i don't think i'd peg them to be worth $100. i think shure is releasing some iphone-specific headphones (but i can't remember where i read that) that are close in price to the v-moda's - i'd try the shure's over the v-moda's if i were looking to make the purchase over again from what i know of shure quality.

i use an ipod waist pack to work out with my iphone (armbands just get in my way) and i've had no problems with my iphone. but when i take up running again (theoretically when spring comes :p ) i'd just use my old nano for fear of damaging my iphone somehow (with my luck, i'd trip and fall on it)...

19. macnewbbie thread starter macrumors regular

Well, i just bought the nano,i went to all the stores here that i remember because all the stores were out of stock, fortunately i found one that had only 2... it will be a Christmas present. I will use the advices that r6girl and surely gave, when i buy the iphone if i see that im not using the nano anymore i will sell it, and i will try to keep it in good conditions.
    Thank you for all the opinions and advices.

20. Surely Guest

Surely

Thanks for the advice.
    I use a neoprene sleeve that has a clip on it for my iPod that I clip to my waist, and I've had no problems. So it looks like I'll be able to do that with the iPhone too. I'll probably have to go with the nano when I take up running too.

I know that the Shure headphones are probably better sound quality than v-moda, but I don't like how you have to wear them. You have to loop the wire over your ear. The v-modas just fit right in. I think that the v-modas would be way better for running than the Shures. The OEM iPod headphones don't stay secure enough in my ears for running, and the Sony MDR-Q66 clip-on headphones I have are great, but they bounce around when I run and they absorb sweat too easily. One thing I like about them is that they have a retractable cord.

Enjoy your nano, macnewbbie!

21. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

It goes to charge every night when I go to bed. I rarely expend more than 25% of the available battery, even on travel days (lotsa phone calls, iPodding while on the plane, email, Google Maps, weather updates, etc). I will use more of the battery if I leave WiFi on (and there's no available signal), Bluetooth, or if there's no signal and I'm constantly hunting. Prior to the 1.1.1 update, I did see it go to "red" once in a 14-hour day of use, but not since. YMMV.

22. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

Apple Insider claims that the Apple battery estimate of 24 hours is very conservative,.. both AI and Macworld claim 30+ hours of music playback and 5+ hours of video on a new nano.

Enjoy your nano!

23. ivan1234 macrumors regular

24. sublicon macrumors member

For a guy like me who needs to have 80 gigs of music on his hip at all times, I need both. I have an iPhone, but all I'm going to use it for is a couple movies here and there, because of the widescreen. I use my iPod for music exclusively.

However, if you don't need that much space, and would like the iPhone, wait for the iPhone, definitely.

25. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Um, need? That's like 19 thousand songs, about 53 days of music. Unless you're a one-person DJ SWAT team, methinks "need" is a bit strong. Maybe "prefer to keep my entire library on hand at all times" is closer (even if a bit extreme, IMO :p).

:D