Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nikeballa09

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2004
Hi, I am in the market for a digital audio player. I was intersted in either the ipod or the dell dj. Right now i am leaning for towards the dell dj because it costs a lot less. i am on a pretty tight budget. i also hear the dell dj's are very comparable to ipods in reliability, ease of use, and they have better batter life. i would like any experiences with both players. i would also like to be convinced why i should spend the extra money on the ipod.

thank you

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
nikeballa09 said:
Hi, I am in the market for a digital audio player. I was intersted in either the ipod or the dell dj. Right now i am leaning for towards the dell dj because it costs a lot less. i am on a pretty tight budget. i also hear the dell dj's are very comparable to ipods in reliability, ease of use, and they have better batter life. i would like any experiences with both players. i would also like to be convinced why i should spend the extra money on the ipod.

thank you
Its up to you, but ipods are my personal preference. you get itunes, and the scroll wheel plus i nice UI wrapped in a better looking body. go with the ipod

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
well, first of all, the new iPods have better battery life than the older ones, but I am not sure what dell claims their player is, so it may still be less, it may not be. I am pretty sure that music downloaded from iTunes won't play on the dell. The design and ease of use is not comparable IMO. The iPod wins hands down here. It is a pretty sexy device. You can buy refurbs off of the Apple Store online for a discount with a warranty, or you can hit ebay. You might also want to check out the ipodlounge as they have lots of good stuff. Some advice however, you will get people here that try to be objective, but this is a Mac website, so don't be surprised if you don't hear many people reccommending the dell.

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
I agree, the iPod is so slick... I'll never switch to anything else, or go without one. Totally rules.

Lee Tom

iBert

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2004
nikeballa09 said:

thank you
Did a quick search on the Dell DJ. one point to the DJ for price, one point for the iPod design (even if it's about $50 more). 1-1 tie.

DJ heavier than the iPod. another point for the iPod 2-1.

If you get the iPod with click-wheel. you can sync iCal, address book, and some notes on your iPod. (I guess this will only work with Macs, but their might be something for PC. maybe) Also, it comes with a couple of games.

Not sure if the DJ is easier to navigate through the lists. But that wheel click is wicked awesome. Also, don't know if the DJ creates playlist, iPod does. Can you get audiobooks on the DJ, with the iPod you can.

about battery life, well the iPod with click-wheel can get around 12hours on 128kbps AAC file format while the DJ gets 12 hours with 64kbps WMA file format. The thing with capacity, if you don't use the 64kbps WMA in the DJ you won't get the amount of songs they advertise. I might be wrong here since they also mention that you can get 12 hours with MP3 128kpbs.

This is my case showing that the $50 more will be well spent. And I haven't mentioned iTunes music store.

BTW: Can't wait to get my U2 iPod! :D

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
You will also find that there are far more accessories (cases, car chargers, FM transmitters, wireless remotes, memory card readers, speakers with integrated dock, and many more) for the iPod than for the Dell, and, as others have mentioned, iTMS is miles ahead of the competition. IMO, the iPod dominates the MP3 player market because it's the best player out there. I'm sure you'd be happy with either MP3 player, but in the long run, I suspect that you would enjoy the iPod more. ;)

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
You get what you pay for. If you are going to cheap out, don't buy a DJ. They suck. I suggest a refurb iPod from someplace like PowerMax. They had a 3G 10GB model for pretty cheap, comparably. Target and Buy.com had some deals on the HP iPod. There is a reason it is the most popular... it is the best.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
the biggest reason for buying an iPod over a dell jukebox is the computer interface and sync abilities with the computer. im guessing you use a windows machine because no apple user in their right mind would consider anything except an iPod. but on a windows computer you have to use dell's musicmatch jukebox on your computer. this has a tremendously difficult time syncrynizing the music you want from your computer to the dell junkebox. i was setting up my friends computer (new computer new dell jukebox he got free with the computer) and the first few times it worked ok. but after he started loading more and more of his CDs to the computer he began running into troubles syncronizing them. we had to hard-restart the dell jukebox a number of times (deleting the entire music collection and requiring a fresh load of everything.) and this is when it was brand NEW! for simplicty and lack of hastle i would save a bit more and spend the extra $50 for an iPod or just go for the iPod mini which is the same price just less storage space.

Whigga Spitta

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2004
Can you say Chi-City??
My friend was having this same dilemma, but decided against the DJ because it apparently does not play full albums unless they are in a playlist (?). I can't confirm this, nor would I want to try, b/c I love my iPod. BTW, my friend ended up with a Creative Zen. It seems pretty nice, but it's hard to go to such a large device compared to the iPod.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
I would recomend that you download iTunes and give it a try for a week. If you don't find it preferrable to the MusicMatch software and you don't find the Music Store to be more benficial to you then get the Dell. If you do find it better (which I believe you will) then get the iPod. The player is really just an externalization of the software. Use the player that will work with the software you prefer.

nikeballa09

macrumors member
Original poster
May 22, 2004
Hey guys thanks for the replys. I already have itunes on my computer, and unfortunately i use a windows laptop. i love it its nice, but its still brand new so it still runs well. my next laptop will be an ibook, but that wont be for a while. anyways i use itunes for the online radio. i dont buy music online, or download it illegaly anymore. i just want to put all of my cds on one mp3 player and i have quite a few cds. also the dj does not need musicmatch to sync it the new one supports win media player which i just used to put two cds on my friends rca lyra with no problem and it was fast. i would buy the ipod if it was a little cheaper in price, im hoping they go on sale or drop in price because the new ones came out. thanks again for the advice and i would still like more convincing towards the ipod.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
lol, you've coem to a Mac message board asking if you should go with an apple product over a PC product...hmmm. My guess is yer just gonna get iPod answer over and over, and over again.

Just to add it one more time...go with the iPod.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
If you ever plan on using your music player as a portable hard drive for transporting regular computer files, then one more strike against the Dell DJ is that it does not mount up on Windows machines as a regular external disk: you have to use a proprietary file loader program to copy files to and from the device.

With the iPod, you can set it to show up in Windows Explorer as a regular old external disk, so you can plug it in to another machine and copy files to and from the device as easy as pie.

The ease of use and integration of hardware and software is where Apple stands way above the competition. It's easily worth any perceived price premium

I also second the recommendation to look for a refurb model. I bought a refurbed 30GB iPod a year ago at a bargain price and the thing has been flawless for me.

Eevee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2004
New Haven, CT
My friend just got the 4G 20gig iPod and loves it. But like the rest of us, we are Mac people, so you'll probably hear more support for iPod than Dell's DJ.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
ethics

Buying from M$or Intel supporters is evil.
And from Dell is the worst of all.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
I have a friend who has the Dell DJ. I find it significantly harder to navigate. Its scroll wheel is slow and somehow it uses its screen space much less efficently so it seems cramped. Oh, and the controls are simply less intuative.

However, it has a decent line in for recording. So if you need it for that get it, otherwise, iPod all the way.

Apmonia

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2003
I know it's been said before, but I recommend the iPod but here are my reasons:
1. The ease of use. I have never used the Dell DJ however from the pictures the scroll barrel doesn't really look that intuitive and, having had one the 3G iPod, not having the control buttons on the wheel is a hassle.
2. iTunes is the easiest software I have used for music transfer. My brother uses MusicMatch for his iRiver and he hates it. When you actually use iTunes to convert your library over and transfer, you'll be happy you chose the iPod.
3. AAC. I haven't seen this mentioned before but WMA doesn't sound as good as AAC at the same bit rate. Since you have both programs, take one song and import it through Windows Media Player and then iTunes at the same bit rate, probably 128. Keep in mind that the Dell DJ does not play AAC nor does the iPod play WMA.

With this and the main reason, that the iPod is just easier to use, I would go for the iPod. (But again I have an iPod mini).

Amponia

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
First, go to an Apple Store, or CompUSA, or any other store that has iPods, and play with them. Then go online, and buy a used or refurbished iPod from eBay.

If you get the DJ, you'll constantly be telling people "no, it's not an iPod..".

You don't want to tell people that.

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
At my university's tech fair this fall there were promoters from Apple and Dell -- the Dell guy had a DJ and didn't know if it even worked (I managed to turn it on, didn't like it much though) and the Apple guy had an iPod mini hooked up to some Bose QuietComfort headphones. The iPod didn't take any great effort to turn on, wasn't as overloaded, et cetera.

The software's about the same on a DJ or iPod, but the iPod has a better hardware interface and the computer connectivity is better -- as has been stated, it's easier to use an iPod as a FireWire drive, it just shows up on your Explorer ('course, I don't use my iPod on my PC, but I assume it's as easy to do as it is to make it show up in Finder on a Mac, just a switch in iTunes). Moreover iTunes is compatible with the leading DRMed format (FairPlay AAC) and every major non-DRMed format (AAC, MP3, AIFF, WAV) save Ogg Vorbis, which isn't really that major. Also you can use Audible audiobooks (and political conventions/debates!) on an iPod, don't recall if you can on the Dell DJ.

Also if you ever get a Mac (need a small, cheap laptop that has a good battery? Or the best-value all-in-one, the only one with 64-bit?) the iPod will work just as well as it does on Windows, if not better yet (most iPod users seem to be on Windows so I imagine it works well). I think there are ways to make it work on Linux too, but on XP/2000 and OS X you can't beat the iPod.

The price difference isn't very big given what you're getting.

stillwater

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2004
Rowley, MA
To me, it comes down to the overall user experience. I like the way the iPod fits in my hand, the ease of finding the music I want to hear and the seamless integration with iTunes.

The combo of iTunes and the iPod is simply elegant. Together they are the epitome of the Apple design philosophy.

Take iTunes. It has a simple interface that doesn't get in your way and at the same time offers the user a myriad of options for importing your music.

The iPod lets you access thousands of songs quickly using only your thumb. You can also listen to audio books without ever losing your place.

I think it is false economy to save a few bucks now and pay for years in the form of frustration with an inferior product.

Any way, that's my two cents.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
nikeballa09 said:
my next laptop will be an ibook, but that wont be for a while.

if you are ever going to use an apple as a primary computer then you MUST get an iPod. the dell wont work with an apple. i dont know how long a dell player will last, but the iPod will outlast your current windows machine. my 1st gen iPod is two and one half years old now and still works fine. anyone who has a windows machine for that long (ok, no more than 3 years) is just crazy! so in the long run if you really want to switch to apple, go with the iPod.

<edit> oh yeah, have you heard of iPodlounge.com? they have interesting info about iPods there.

Eddo

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2004
Check out this link. The bit about the software is particularly interesting. It seems Dell might soon be looking for a new partner which could potentially be a pain for you if you get one of their machines. We all know that whether or not it retains its current market share, Apple, iTunes and the iPod are here to stay. Don't miss out on the revolution for a measly 50 bucks!

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Michigan
iBert said:
If you get the iPod with click-wheel. you can sync iCal, address book, and some notes on your iPod. (I guess this will only work with Macs, but their might be something for PC. maybe) :D

You can use iPod Agent to sync your Outlook calendar, contacts, tasks, notes to your iPod. It will also copy your mail over as text files if you like. iPod Agent also does a lot more, like copy much back from your iPod, download RSS feeds, movie times, weather, etc. Very cool... I can't wait until they add support for Mozilla Thunderbird/Sunbird.

http://www.ipodsoft.com/ipodagent.aspx

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.