Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
I call shenanigans...

There is NO freaking way this "survey" was legitimate. There NO way more than 50% of consumers would go to, say, a Best Buy, see the 30 GB Zune and 30 GB iPod next to each other, at the SAME $250 price, and opt to go to the Zune. Will some consumers go for it? Sure - maybe they prefer the larger screen size (even though it's same resolution as the iPod). But over 50%?!!? Gimme a break. I predict only a tiny percentage of consumers would choose the Zune. I'll be shocked if Microsoft breaks 10% market share with this first-gen Zune.

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
I'm probably going to switch. I'm tired of iTunes, I'm tired of Apple's DRM, I'm tired of AAC, I'm tired of paying a jillion dollars for a silicone case because it's for an iPod, I'm tired of paying $10+ for movies in such low quality I wouldn't burn them to a DVD if I could because it's too difficult to rip my own, and I'm tired of needing a mac with handbrake just to get videos because videora fries my computer.

In short, I'm tired of the style over function bit and I'm happy to see someone else drop a device with potential. I personally think the iPod is way too ubiquitous and the only reason I still have mine is because I bought a new nano that I really like. But the video? not for me. I think the iPod is just played out. I'm looking to be different, not to have what every other person and their mother, father, brother, and dog all have.

But maybe that's just me pulling a "think different" again.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
I'm probably going to switch. I'm tired of iTunes, I'm tired of Apple's DRM, I'm tired of AAC, I'm tired of paying a jillion dollars for a silicone case because it's for an iPod, I'm tired of paying $10+ for movies in such low quality I wouldn't burn them to a DVD if I could because it's too difficult to rip my own, and I'm tired of needing a mac with handbrake just to get videos because videora fries my computer.

So you're tired of Apples way of doing things, but switching to MS and Zune will be just more of the same. If you're tired of all this your best bet is to go back to buy physical CDs and DVDs in stores, period. Not that would be "thinking different"... well maybe "thinking old school".

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004

In short, I'm tired of the style over function bit and I'm happy to see someone else drop a device with potential. I personally think the iPod is way too ubiquitous and the only reason I still have mine is because I bought a new nano that I really like. But the video? not for me. I think the iPod is just played out. I'm looking to be different, not to have what every other person and their mother, father, brother, and dog all have.

But maybe that's just me pulling a "think different" again.

And you think MS's DRM will be any better? That when the Zune finally gets video capability and the Zune marketplace has movies it will be cheaper then Apple's price or at the same price and better quality?

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
They can add me to that list. Ive had a 10gb 3G iPod since just before the 4G came out and I have seen NO reason to upgrade since Apple has generally offered nothing but the same since day one (click wheel and color screen = not worth the price for another iPod. Pictures? give me a break. Movies? getting better but not on that screen Steve-o).

I want a new GUI mostly, and Apple simply refuses to update so I refuse to buy another iPod. The Zune's GUI is truly a sight to behold compared to Apple's outdated one, so its looking mighty appealing to me right now. I can live without the scroll wheel, its definately the best way to scroll through songs but Im more of a GUI guy.

I think this is actually very good news that Apple could see most of their customers ditch them, Apple will finally be forced to wake up and get their act together to make an ipod worthy of the year 2006. I want to get another ipod but if Apple doesnt give me something different than my 3G then I'll be getting a Zune. I hope to see the same innovation in their "2nd" ipod that we saw in the first so they can compete with the Zune and reclaim their dominance.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
I was thinking about this on the bus this morning (as it's been around the web since yesterday) and realised that 58% is actually quite low, and shows the Zune isn't any good, just think about every ad for a beauty product you have ever seen (or anything else with a survey for that matter), they often use surveys and I've never seen one with a percentage of lower than 80 to 90%. Apple has nothing to worry about here.

EDIT: Wired said it was an online survey, probably on http://www.anythingbutipod.com :rolleyes:

calculus

Dec 12, 2005
I'm probably going to switch...
...the only reason I still have mine is because I bought a new nano that I really like.

The only reason you're keeping it is because you like it? But you will probably switch? I don't understand what you're saying.

vi2867

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2006
Eastvale, CA
Looking at the Zune, it looks like the iPod 5 years ago. They are five years behind the current iPod, and I don't think they will catch up.

Apple is just more creative...;)

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
They can add me to that list. Ive had a 10gb 3G iPod since just before the 4G came out and I have seen NO reason to upgrade since Apple has generally offered nothing but the same since day one (click wheel and color screen = not worth the price for another iPod. Pictures? give me a break. Movies? getting better but not on that screen Steve-o).

I want a new GUI mostly, and Apple simply refuses to update so I refuse to buy another iPod. The Zune's GUI is truly a sight to behold compared to Apple's outdated one, so its looking mighty appealing to me right now. I can live without the scroll wheel, its definately the best way to scroll through songs but Im more of a GUI guy.

So you seem to be saying the only thing you like or need to do with your iPod is listen to music. Since when do you listen with your eyes? You find what you want to listen to then it sits in your pocket. There's nothing to look at.

Yes, I understand wanting a better/different GUI but that has nothing to do with listening to music. Do you have a GUI on your cassette player or record player? Same thing goes here for music. For pictures/video/movies/games.. okay.. but that's different.

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx

What does MS offer besides a GUI and how do you plan to improve upon it? You are going to add a background to your menus and add eye candy? In my opinion, Apple's interface is about as good as it gets. Music>Artists>Albums>Songs. Don't need much else.

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
So you seem to be saying the only thing you like or need to do with your iPod is listen to music. Since when do you listen with your eyes? You find what you want to listen to then it sits in your pocket. There's nothing to look at.

Yes, I understand wanting a better/different GUI but that has nothing to do with listening to music. Do you have a GUI on your cassette player or record player? Same thing goes here for music. For pictures/video/movies/games.. okay.. but that's different.
If I wanted to just listen to music then why get an iPod in the first place? You can get cheaper mp3 players that play music just as well, the iPod doesnt even sound the best compared to some players. iPods offer a more pleasing user experience compared to other mp3 players because theyve always had a better GUI and just look so much better. The Zune may not look as good as an iPod but its far from terrible looking, I think its GUI makes up for the exterior in the end and will offer a better experience than using an iPod. They both play music the same but if the Zune is funner to use then whats the point of buying an iPod?

What does MS offer besides a GUI and how do you plan to improve upon it? You are going to add a background to your menus and add eye candy? In my opinion, Apple's interface is about as good as it gets. Music>Artists>Albums>Songs. Don't need much else.
Im not sure how to answer that since its like asking "what does Mercedes offer besides more luxury?" Isnt it self explanitory why a better GUI makes something better? The only thing it really lacks is a scroll wheel (which I rarely actually need to use for long lists).

Kolind

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2006
Denmark
I think it's worth noting that the survey states that it is 58% of people looking to buy a new mp3 player within the next 12 months, that would consider a Zune. That taken into consideration I would have expected the percentage to be higher...

It's not like 58% of people who own an iPod would go out and buy a Zune.

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
that's just wrong. now itunes eats up more than 67% of video, 75% of all contents in the market with ipod. zune? they need to build decent content first. Zune is not even played for podcast, audiobooks. who wants? wifi? that's lame feature.

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
The only reason you're keeping it is because you like it? But you will probably switch? I don't understand what you're saying.

I will keep my nano, but instead of buying an iPod video, vPod, whatever new, mostly useless device that comes out, I'll probably be getting a Zune, or holding onto my nano for awhile more. It plays music and that's all I really care about. The only time I'd watch videos is at the gym, in which case, the ability to flip the screen and use different video formats is a plus for me. Same reason I was considering the creative vision:M but creative's software bites the big one. If Zune can offer me better, then Zune it is.

The only iPod that could persuade me to stay is a Product (RED) video device, simply because I support the cause and brand awareness of product red more than I care about the iPod versus whatever else debate. If they drop one tomorrow as rumored, then there is less of a question in my mind.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I will keep my nano, but instead of buying an iPod video, vPod, whatever new, mostly useless device that comes out, I'll probably be getting a Zune, or holding onto my nano for awhile more. It plays music and that's all I really care about. The only time I'd watch videos is at the gym, in which case, the ability to flip the screen and use different video formats is a plus for me. Same reason I was considering the creative vision:M but creative's software bites the big one. If Zune can offer me better, then Zune it is.

The only iPod that could persuade me to stay is a Product (RED) video device, simply because I support the cause and brand awareness of product red more than I care about the iPod versus whatever else debate. If they drop one tomorrow as rumored, then there is less of a question in my mind.

You do realise that "flipping the screen" just puts it in the same 4:3 aspect ratio of the iPod and that both screens are the same resolution?

The Zune's screen is not a widescreen.

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
You do realise that "flipping the screen" just puts it in the same 4:3 aspect ratio of the iPod and that both screens are the same resolution?

The Zune's screen is not a widescreen.

both are the same res, but watching 3" is still less sucky than watching 2.5". I'm trying not to go blind here.

If all I was going to do was watch video, I'd buy the creative PMP. Since I plan to do that about twice over the life of the device, it's not a big deal, so the music options of the Zune (including, hallelujah, a subscription service for unlimited music so that I can hear all of a whole album before I decide to buy it) are a nice feature.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
If I wanted to just listen to music then why get an iPod in the first place?
Then why did you since you said you don't need/want pictures and movies in their current required state of quality aren't up to your personal standards?

You can get cheaper mp3 players that play music just as well, the iPod doesnt even sound the best compared to some players. iPods offer a more pleasing user experience compared to other mp3 players because theyve always had a better GUI and just look so much better. The Zune may not look as good as an iPod but its far from terrible looking, I think its GUI makes up for the exterior in the end and will offer a better experience than using an iPod. They both play music the same but if the Zune is funner to use then whats the point of buying an iPod?

Well if you only want to listen to music and not buy anything from iTunes then there's nothing preventing you from staying with the iPod and moving on to something else. But if you want to use the iTunes Store your only legal purchase is that of an iPod.

This is a quite simple decision you know? There's no reason to make it into a big deal.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I, personally, think MS is going to do well. I'll most likely get a vista upgrade for free from College, WMP11 will be 11x sexier than iTunes, and uh... I too am still using a 3rd gen iPod, and see no reason to upgrade. Hopefully the Zune will provide me with some functionality that the iPod lacks... like a radio! So yeah, consider me one of those 57% of people apple needs to watch out for.

P.S. I was looking around the zune website, and they've got a bunch of nice stuff, including a Windows XP theme. I'm using it now.. it's a nice change. That's really what i want.. a change. I want to be one one of those 5% with a zune, sort of like how I was one of those 5% with an iPod, back in 01. Hell, if I ever use my 1st gen iPod, people think it's a rip off it's that old. I think I'll get a zune. Time to Be Different.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
There is NO freaking way this "survey" was legitimate.

I think that the survey was on the level, but the summary was spun to generate headlines for ABI.

The question asked was "How likely would you be to choose Zune over a competitor?" Answer choices (the reported ones anyway) were "not at all likely", "not very likely", "somewhat likely", "extremely likely". The 59% includes both the somewhat and extremely likely replies.

Those are always squishy questions. Does "somewhat likely" mean that the respondent is seriously considering a purchase, or does it mean "meh" ? Where is the neutral option?

The "not at all/not very likely" got 15%, so they've only accounted for 75% of the answers there. What did the other quarter think?

Swarmlord

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006

Exactly. I don't need a GUI or anything fancy since I've set up all the playlists I want and only need a quick way to select one of them and I never look at the screen again.

The picture feature of the newer iPods is interesting since I do have a show car and it would be nice to display pics of the restoration on a device, but 3x5 or 8x11 printouts still look a lot better.

I personally don't understand the video thing. I can't imagine watching a movie on a screen that small. Sux enough to watch on the 9 inch Sony DVD portable I have or the headrest screens I have in my Volvo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.