iPod Price per GB -- You Decide!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by brn2ski00, Feb 19, 2008.

1. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Folks, never have seen this breakdown before, so I thought I'd share my calculations with you:

** iPod Pricing per Gigabyte (as of 2/19/08) **

1GB Shuffle - $49 / 1 = $49.00 per GB
    2GB Shuffle - $69 / 2 = $34.50 per GB

4GB Nano - $149 / 4 = $37.25 per GB
    8GB Nano - $199 / 8 = $24.88 per GB

80GB Classic - $249 / 80 = $3.11 per GB
    160GB Classic - $349 / 160 = $2.18 per GB

8GB Touch - $299 / 8 = $37.38 per GB
    16GB Touch - $399 / 16 = $24.94 per GB
    32GB Touch - $499 / 32 = $15.59 per GB

I thought that these were very interesting results, especially with the price "drop" of the iPod Shuffle annouced today. Keep in mind that each iPod comes with its own advantages/disadvantages. I just wanted to point out the huge difference in pricing amongst them all.

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Nothing shocking there. Pretty standard volume pricing model. Also, keep in mind the iPod Classics are HDD-based, while the Shuffles, Nanos, and Touches are flash-based, so the comparisons there are not valid.

3. brn2ski00 thread starter macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Agreed, but I thought it was very interesting to see the breakdown amongst Apple's music players. Some people think strictly "bang for buck" and this pricing chart definitely aids this notion.

4. piranhaofeden macrumors newbie

piranhaofeden

ipod classic 160GB?

looks like you might have a mistype there - the current 160GB models are $349. just a heads up!

5. brn2ski00 thread starter macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Amended.

6. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

Darn, my iPhone was $49.88 per gigabyte. How depressing.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

What exactly is the point of this thread?

Good design has no value?
    Ease of use has no value?

8. brn2ski00 thread starter macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

No real reason, thought it may be cool to see the price per GB and where we were getting screwed. It was really a spawn of the iPod shuffle price drop this morning.... those things should be virtually free. $29 max!

9. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I wouldn't say we're "getting screwed", as you can't necessarily measure a thing's value on a simple measurement such as the cost/storage breakdown. If you're comparing a series of naked notebook hard drives that are all identical otherwise, then that makes sense, but here you're looking at a finalized product, where the storage cost is not the value measurement. Design, size, function, capability (not capacity), displays, etc., etc, all have to be factored in. These aren't boxes of corn flakes.

10. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Hmm. I think so too. I think the ipod classic has the best bang for the cash, i think the touch is the best ipod, the nano is OKAY, but very popular, and the shuffle is for the small target of people without a lot of songs. I have a classic, 80gb silver. I got it this weekend, and lOVE it, it has an amazing battery life!!!

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Exactly =)

There is an iPod for different needs of different people. Storage alone is not the only thing that matters.

12. bloodycape macrumors 65816

Maybe storage wise, but I have yet to see an iPod(stock and new) that meets my needs as a consumer.

13. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

THATS EXACTLY what I've been saying to my friend, he keeps saying i should have gotten a touch like him, and i say that same thing too!!

14. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Let me guess, you want something like 100TB of storage, in the size of nano, with 1 million hours of battery life, etc. for $0.99.

Yeah, I have:
    Full size iPod for AIFF quality music backup for DJing.
    Nano for flying on airplanes (Nano fits easily in my shirt pocket).
    iPhone for the internet addiction
    MBP 17" as 17" iPod =p

15. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

That's a neat idea to investigate. A BIG however is the type of memory utilized. I imagine the Nano and Shuffle are in the same territory but the 1.8" in the Classic is like incorporating a WD 320GB for $130 into the mix.

16. bloodycape macrumors 65816

Nope. Something very simple. I want full UMS support, so I can use finder/explorer to add my music, instead of an intermediary software, and a built in voice recorder to record class lectures. Then again a better eq and sq would be nice, but that just being picky.

17. NIPRING macrumors 6502

I have slippery hands. I've dropped my 2G nano about 20 times, still works. Dropped my old mini once....done, dropped my 5G 30gb twice...done. Damn moving parts :mad:. Flash based drives are the way to go.

Bill

18. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

What exactly are the pros of buying the iPod Nano? I ask this of owners because I personally don't see any. (I'm just curious, not flaming!)

For an extra $100 from the lowest-priced model, you jump up 74GB with the Classic. I know the Nano is smaller, but I can easily fit a 5G iPod in my pocket.

Opinions?

19. brn2ski00 thread starter macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Thanks bud, because I wasn't sure if people would enjoy or see fit this chart.

Cheers!

20. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i found it quite surprising that the touch has the same price/GB as the nano. considering the design differences. nice comparison, thanks.

also refects the huge price differences between ssd disk and 1.8'hd in the macbook air. i'm not going to calculate the price/gb there:D

surprising is also that the iphone is $50/GB considering that we pay monthly service fees on top of that;)

21. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You can always flash the iPod firmware with a third party firmware that allows manual organization of music but then you really won't be getting the iPod experience.

People I know organize music by files / directories 8-10 years ago, after iTunes I find no need to manually organize music. It's better to have all your music in a central location anyway, instead of scattered around 5 different computer / drives. It's just a different way of doing things, once you learn it, it's much faster to do it through iTunes.

As to voice recorder, you can buy an external, however, it's probably better to actually take notes and listen during lectures than trying to record class lectures, and make a half effort to try to listen while you are doing something else.

Note that voice recorder is just a gimmick. Had one, never used it. In most places / states you are not suppose to record without permission. Most teachers won't let you record due to legal reasons.

22. bloodycape macrumors 65816

I got a 32gb ipod mini with rockbox on it because I rather not deal with an intermediary software so, I pretty much got the ipod I want. Besides what experience am I getting with an ipod, that I can't get with my Cowon or with Sony? Better yet, I am missing out on things with my ipod imho. My music has always been organized for years so I never had that problem.

With a voice recorder never had an issue at all. None of my teacher complained nor did it cause a distraction for me. I turned the player on, set it on record and turned the screen off and left it recording while I was taking notes. Works better built in as it more convenient.

23. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

32gb mini? since when...

24. bloodycape macrumors 65816

Since I put a 32gb cf card in it.

25. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

lol, how much $$$?