Ipod shuffle education discount?

hikeNM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Is it just me, or does the Ipod shuffle not have an educational discount?

Does Apple not think it has legitimate educational uses. I would seriously consider buying, if I could get a discount, since it can be used as a flash drive too. I use my 20 GB ipod alot for moving documents from home to school.

Surely it's as legitimate as iLife '05. And I can get a discount on it.

tdhurst

macrumors 601
Dec 27, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
huh?

hikeNM said:
Understood. Oh well. I guess if I can't afford it without the discount, I don't need it.
Usually the edu discounts are right around 10%. You can afford 90 but not the full 100?
I agree tho, it's always good to save cash.

tdhurst

macrumors 601
Dec 27, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Good point

Spoken like a true college student. I really do want one of those things though...would be nice to replace my flash drive...

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
hikeNM said:
That's my point. If I can afford 90, but not 100, then I don't need to buying anything.
apple might offer an edu discount when they fufill the intial demand but you never know, heck theres a discount on iPod socks. if I were you I would forfeit a weekend out or whatever you spend your money on and place an order, but thats me.

Apple!Freak

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
East Coast
From what I have seen Apple gives a whopping 6% educational discount. You would think they could at least give a 15% discount to students and educators. :rolleyes:

KREX725

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2003
Apple!Freak said:
From what I have seen Apple gives a whopping 6% educational discount. You would think they could at least give a 15% discount to students and educators. :rolleyes:
In all fairness to Apple, I got a 13% edu discount on my G5. It's better than nothing! :D

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
KREX725 said:
In all fairness to Apple, I got a 13% edu discount on my G5. It's better than nothing! :D
The Apple Educational discount % varies from product line and model.

EDU also have model lines that are not available to consumers. For example there is an iBook G4 model without a combo drive only DVD drive for ~30 USD cheaper. :)

The 10% is not accurate. :)

pyrrhusmj

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2004
Fort Worth, TX
hikeNM said:
That's my point. If I can afford 90, but not 100, then I don't need to buying anything.

Cut out one night of college binge drinking and not only do you add 3 days to your life, you can get an ipod shuffle :)

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Methinks you should just wait a week or so for the $10... skip dinner a few times, it isn't that important anyways, and in two days* you can get enough to cover the difference between the edu price and the normal price.

*Based on current Chinese Restaurant prices

nyprospect

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2004
My appologies to the poster for asking in your post.Just one question.Will apple ask for proof of your university or id if i purchase with edu discount.thanks

3Memos

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
hikeNM said:
Who knows for sure right? The margins for profit on the shuffle could be really slim as its even cheaper than most USB memory sticks (even without iPod coolness :) )

hikeNM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
pyrrhusmj said:
Cut out one night of college binge drinking and not only do you add 3 days to your life, you can get an ipod shuffle :)
LOL. Don't think that'll be necessary. Not much of a binger. Kinda frowned upon since I'm a teacher. But there have been times, after an hour and a half of Algebra 2 to 15 years olds, that I wish I was drunk out of my mind!!!LOL

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
hikeNM said:

Does Apple not think it has legitimate educational uses. I would seriously consider buying, if I could get a discount, since it can be used as a flash drive too. I use my 20 GB ipod alot for moving documents from home to school.

Surely it's as legitimate as iLife '05. And I can get a discount on it.
How many other companies are giving EDU discounts on USB "keychain" devices with the capabilities of the Shuffle? Your answer may lie in there.

hob

macrumors 68020
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
At first I was surprised... then a little annoyed... then I realised. Even if they give me a 13% discount (the most I've ever known them to give) - that's £13 on the 1g or ~£6.80 for the 512. I can do without that money!!

It's just a few pints of beer

Hob

Spock

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
In all fairness and flame me if You feel Im wrong but why should students get discounts period?

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
Spock said:
In all fairness and flame me if You feel Im wrong but why should students get discounts period?
Well first of all Apple has deep roots in education and probaby wants to maintain those on paper. Secondly Brand Loyalty is huge for a company like apple that controls 5% of the market, givign students $100 off isn't a bad deal for them, instead its like they're trying to pay people to be customers for many years to come. Students in college are just beginning their independant life, typically don't have an income so a discoutn hits home. As for teachers, many are underpaid as is around the nation.