iPod Shuffle Shipping Times Worsen as Retail Stores Run Out of Stock

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 7, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Supplies of Apple's lowest priced iPod, the $49 iPod shuffle, are temporarily dwindling as shipping times on Apple's website drop to 7 - 10 days and Apple Retail Stores run out of stock around the country, reports 9to5Mac.

[​IMG]
    The other two iPod lines, the nano and touch, aren't seeing the same dwindling of supplies as they both display 24 hour shipping times and are available now in most of Apple's retail stores. It's unclear why the shuffle is seeing supply problems, but one possibility is that Apple is seeing a temporary shortage of iPod shuffle components, impacting the company's ability to make new iPod shuffles.

New York City appears to be the city mostly suffering from the iPod shuffle shortage, while the San Francisco Bay Area, Los Angeles and Chicago seem to have a sporadic number of stores without any stock.

Apple hasn't updated the iPod shuffle since September 2013. In early 2014, CEO Tim Cook said that the iPod was a "declining business". In September 2014, Apple discontinued the iPod Classic due to the difficulty in purchasing parts to manufacture it and a shrinking audience for the device.

Article Link: iPod Shuffle Shipping Times Worsen as Retail Stores Run Out of Stock

2. sshambles macrumors 6502a

sshambles

Shuffles are great for running, especially given the latest iPhones are too big to run with.

We all know what's happening next here though - extinction.

3. landroverz7 macrumors member

landroverz7

Get rid of all the iPods and make the iPhones cheaper with 32GB standard, you can take over the world ;)

4. yukari macrumors 6502

yukari

For work out, this is the best device.

5. TexasChemE macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

I completely forgot that these were being produced

6. Jeff3f macrumors member

Can't shuffle like cheapie music players be had for way less these days though?

7. Shadow Runner macrumors regular

They need to come out with only one iPod. Storage that ranges from 16GB to 128 or 256, has a small touch screen like 2" or so, and built in clip. This would satisfy the people that get it for exercise and the people that want a simple iPod that holds all their music.

8. oldmacs macrumors 601

oldmacs

I bought one for a family member for Christmas. They're the best device for basic music, distraction music and for exercising.

9. elTylerr macrumors newbie

elTylerr

It would be completely sad to see the entire iPod family become extinct :( it's one of the original products that brought Apple into the market-changing Spotlight.

10. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

Certainly, of all the iPods, they could theoretically keep the iPod shuffle going forever as it doesn't really need to change at this point. They could give it 4GB like its poorly designed predecessor and sell it with 2GB and 4GB capacities, maybe give it a better battery (as that thing's battery was noticeably worse than that of the second generation), but beyond that, I don't think the shuffle needs that much tweaking.

I would use it all the time in the car as I would usually shuffle a playlist in there anyway and tactile buttons were easier to use than the touch-screen controls of the iPod touch (especially in the iOS 7 and 8 era), and I guess for that reason I still have a use for it. But otherwise, if this was the sign of the end times for it, I wouldn't be surprised.

Here's hoping stock refills soon.

11. ineedamac macrumors 6502

I use one while doing yard work. This way my iPhone is safe inside.

12. Cayden macrumors 6502a

Cayden

It is likely either dying out or they are doing a refresh, with the former being much more likely. It would be a shame for the product to die out. I know many runners that refuse to use anything but this while running due to having other products being unusable in that sort of situation. The storage space on iPhones becoming cheaper will fix some problems with discontinuing iPods, but it for sure does not fix the problem

13. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

Well, if the :apple: watch wasn't so darned expensive, I'd say that would be the obvious replacement.

14. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Are the shuffles flying off the shevels like some other products though? No they are not. So most people will be just fine.

15. GeniusJon macrumors regular

Apple is doomed! :rolleyes:

They should just drop the prices to $39 and call it a day.

16. bwillwall macrumors 6502a

bwillwall

I agree with this actually, except they need to keep the touch separate probably. I guess the nano and the shuffle are the only others, so if they could combine them that would be pretty golden.

17. Darylayala macrumors newbie

Darylayala

They are probably just selling whats in inventory and discontinuing them soon.

18. Slix macrumors 6502a

Slix

Here's hoping they actually do update the iPods in the coming months, perhaps in the spring along with the Apple Watch release.

19. nutmac macrumors 68040

Wouldn't iPod nano be even better? Granted, it is larger than iPod shuffle (3" x 1.6" x 0.2" vs. 1.1" x 1.2" x 0.3"), but it is still incredibly small and can be paired with a Bluetooth wireless headset for added convenience.

And previous 6th generation iPod nano was practically the same size as shuffle (1.5" x 1.6" x 0.3").

With iPod touch not getting any update for 2 years, I am afraid it is also being phased out. It seems iPad mini is its successor.

20. thekeyring macrumors 68040

Noticed a few comments saying 'it was best for running' or 'best for working out'.

I think we all might know why it might be discontinued then.

21. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

I definitely think there will alway be a market for a shuffle/nano type music player. Really, I feel that the old generation clip nano was perfect.

22. trip1ex macrumors 68000

Oh no. Not the Shuffle Shortage! Anything but that.

23. WissMAN macrumors regular

WissMAN

Are you thinking the apple watch is the new iPod shuffle? Naw...

I hear you on the yard work, running and exercising. I personally like to have specific playlists sometimes. The shuffle is too random for me. But that's just me.

24. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan