iPod Tetris Game and Cube Effects?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Appleinsider claims that Apple will be introducing a iPod photo software update that will offer new image transitions, such as Mosaic, Cube and Fade effects.

In addition, the popular game "Tetris" is reportedly included.

The photos of the effects where first published on the internet on May 28th, 2005 to a free upload service. The back-story behind these photos was that this iPod software update was made available for a short time and was downloaded by this individual. This story was suspect and unverifiable and therefore remained unpublished.

Appleinsider is publishing the same photos, but is presumably confident enough about the report to post it.

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
Another new handheld gaming console perhaps? I wonder how good or how fast it can supports those transition or animations. Anyone has any idea of the graphics it can support?

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
barneygumble said:
saw this this morning, now i want one!! Is it wrong to have four ipods??
Yeah, why do you need so many? I could see two, three max. A 30 or 60gb photo, depending on capacious need and importance of size. THen maybe a shuffle for jogging or working out. If you're insane, throw a mini in there because they're cool. There is no need to have old ones in the mix, sell those b*+(|-|35.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
so how did some guy in Germany get a hold of this?
was apple preparing the german version of the iPod update
and just messed up?

phawksworth

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2005
Putney, London, England
Cool upgrade, but will it fix bugs?

Getting Tetris will be cool, and the transitions are nice too I guess, but I hope this upgrade will fix the annoying bug in the iPod photo where third party headphones trigger the autopause feature at random.

I love my iPod but this bug is a real pain. Are many of you folks experiencing this?

phawksworth

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2005
Putney, London, England
Not many games are suitable

sjpetry said:
Sadly the scroll wheel limits many games. But I guess that's why it's a music player.

And yes "Woot Tetris". :D
Yeah, there aren't too many games that can easily played with the clickwheel, and as a result I rarely play the included games. Tetris might be rather addictive though. I can see myself missing my stop on the tube on the way to work!!
:)

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
Obviously the transitions would be pointless on a regular iPod, but I hope they bring Tetris to those of us that are sans Photo! :D

I think Tetris would be really easy to control with the iPod. Scroll wheel rotates the pieces and you just press forward/backward for right and left, pretty simple.

Lunja

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2005
Lincoln UK
Is it just me or did the top photo on that page looked photoshopped? Was thinking that a swirl effect (sorry- don't know its name :eek: ) wouldn't alter the lines of the pixels, if that's what the black lines are... Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, which I no doubt am :)

EDIT- Corrected my own spelling lol!

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
Tetris is cool and all, but give me Wireless Pong so I can play it with other iPods in a local area.

Fishes,
narco.

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
Wireless Pong! w00t!! :D

Lunja, I'm pretty sure that image was altered to protect his serial number and name or something like that.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Looks good, for iPod Photo owners.

I can see the Mono G3 owners getting ready to complain right now ( thinking it'll be Photo only).

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
hrm... for sure an ipod update at wwdc then.. though i think these games will only qualify for the ipod photo and not the others.. though i think what we may see is like color screens standard across the board cept on the mini's.. but then who knows.. its anybody's game really.

apinstein

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2005
Obviously fake...

I think it's fake.. check out this picture:

Fake Picture

The photo is close-up enough that you can see each pixel. The warped areas, therefore, you should still see each pixel in a regular grid.

Instead, the grid is disrputed along with the effect.

IMHO, clearly fake.