iPod Touch 2.1 - why no shake to shuffle?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mac-a-doodle, Sep 10, 2008.

1. mac-a-doodle macrumors newbie

Seems that this could/should have been included in the 2.1 update, if the Nano gets it, why not the Touch?
    :mad:

2. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

It would have been a cool feature to include. I don't see why they didn't.

3. wal9000 macrumors member

My best guess is that they wanted to leave it connected to the "cute" image of the nano. Wish they'd included it though, I'm getting a touch.

4. theolympix macrumors newbie

im glad its not there

usually I hate it when people post about being glad that features are not included, like so many people used to say they didn't want video in the ipod. im usually all for as much as possible but in this case I think this is a small player only feature.
    The ipod nano fits in anyones closed hand, their fingers wrap around three sides of the device, but the touch is larger and many people likely hold it with the ball of their hand supporting the edge and fingers on the back, and nothing supporting the opposing edge, so its not a closed grip. With shake to shuffle, this could (and likely would) lead to all sorts of people throwing the less durable, more glass device and complaining to apple and on here that they want a free ipod touch.

I know it sounds unlikely and anyone to throw there device is a little too careless and should have to live without it. But when the wii first came out people were complaining all over the place, that they threw the remote at something or the lanyard broke, and they want a new something, and the list of these things was crazy, tvs, speakers, wiis, lamps....

so whatever, prevent damage control, and I dont think a wrist strap is really apples style

5. Sief9 macrumors newbie

The feature sounds like a total pain in the ass (Am I the only one?) Imagine running with your iPod in your pocket.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

running i would bet would not activate it

7. calculus Guest

calculus

I think I read somewhere that you can turn it off...

8. Sief9 macrumors newbie

Running makes things in your pocket shake. ;):p

9. ricartedor macrumors member

It doesnt shuffle if locked and shaken and i assume it'd be locked in your pocket..

I think that the iPod nano has no other way to shuffle a particular playlist anymore, now that the centre button menu has been altered to find more by artist or album and start genius, they've actually taken out the shuffle songs option that used to be present in the nano 3g centre button menu from now playing screen, this means that shaking may be the only way to activate shuffling on the go. As the iPod touch has the ability to shuffle by pressing on the icon on the now playing screen, it's probably not top of the agenda to add an unnecessary shake to shuffle feature to the touch.

That said - it would be cool!! and i hope it gets added at a later date!

10. zathras macrumors member

zathras

I tried it out in the apple store and it takes a very deliberate big shake - probably has to hit a couple of opposite angles that wouldn't be reached by normal activity.

11. mjjmk macrumors newbie

so true

ya the shake and shuffle is activated by the movent at the top. and also, you would have to be running very fast because this feature is harder to use.

12. mjjmk macrumors newbie

i would still get an ipod touch. someones probrably gonna put an app on to make this happen. i own a touch and im sending it in a SECOND TIME because of the battery the first time and the screen this time. im just warning you guys about the battery, use the wall chargers made by apple or your computer. the one i used (which is pretty old) made my ipod unchargable. its worth the money-trust me

13. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

It's part of the 3.0 software that is coming out in June/July, Apple has already announced it.

14. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

damn, beat me to it.

15. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

surely this is not entirely true—there are a lot of people out there that are incapable of forcefully shaking something.

16. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Well this is just completely wrong. First: the iPhone and iPod touch will be getting shake to shuffle in 3.0.
    Second, there are many ways to shuffle your songs on the iPod nano. Shake it and it picks a random song from any artist (no matter what song is playing) and it shuffles all of your songs. Also you can press the center button a few times until the shuffle menu comes up, then scroll a little to either shuffle songs, albums, or to turn shuffle off. You can also go into settings and turn shuffle on.

17. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

This has probably been stated and I do NOT have a touch so I'm not sure what type of storage it has...

but if it has a physical harddrive shaking would be bad...

but if its flash memory I don't see why not?

18. statik13 macrumors regular

Shake to shuffle will be the first feature I disable if they add it to the iPod Touch update this summer. I can see it being ok if you're sitting there listening to music, but walking around or jogging it will be annoying to have it change tracks suddenly.

I'd love to see them add the new voice over feature that the shuffle has. Now that I would find useful.

19. sharp65 macrumors 6502

It is in 3.0 but you really do have to shake it hard to activate it.

20. NeGRit0 macrumors 6502a

NeGRit0

If you have a jailbroken Touch there is an app called Pocket Touch. It will allow you to shake to shuffle. It also put a menu in the general settings so you can adjust not only the sensitivity in which it takes to activate it, but also the duration of the shake that is needed. :D

21. kh14 macrumors member

for those of you that dont know...they are adding this feature in the newest 3.0 software update. The update is coming out sometime early summer

22. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

That was posted a hundred times already in this thread alone.

23. statik13 macrumors regular

That's great news! Maybe I won't deactivate it after all.... Now if they just added voice over. :D

24. Macmini1234 macrumors newbie

25. macguy4reals macrumors newbie

OMG, the iPhone makes phone calls, but the touch doesn't! My old iPod has a click wheel, but the touch doesn't.

Be happy with your product.