iPod Touch 3rd Generation: Cheaper or more expensive?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Jordan the Nerd, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Jordan the Nerd macrumors member

Jordan the Nerd

Hi,

I am currently saving for an iPod Touch 3rd Generation, and I am curious, will they be cheaper or not?

Can anyone tell me what they did exactly with the 1st generation transformation to 2nd generation, did they change then also capacities also?

Do you think I can get a 16gb iPod touch for the same price or cheaper than the 8gb model now?

It sounds like they are putting a lot more into this one, and may have to raise the price, however, the idea of the iPod touch is a cheaper alternative to an iPhone, so that users can experience most of the features including the app store for less.

I really hope they ditch 8gb, my 8gb iPod Nano 3rd generation is running out of space with my iTunes library.

Thanks,
    Jordan

2. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

Originaly the 1st 8GB ipod touch, cost me $299.99 at Best Buy (U.S), idk if it was b/c of the Jan 08 Update Software, then the 2nd generation dropped to $229.99

I bet the 3rd generation will cost the same, except, the 8GB will be knock off! and will be replaced with the 16GB ($230) 32GB ($299) 64GB ($399):p

3. Jordan the Nerd thread starter macrumors member

Jordan the Nerd

Thanks for your answer.

Another thing I'm worried about is that Apple will throw on a whole lot extra to the price for NZ. The $229 USD iPod Touch equals out to $335 NZD (at the current exchange rate), I fear they might do what they did to the Mac range (added on an extra $300 or so that the US doesn't have).

- Jordan

4. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

Well I don't know, the diffrence between USD and NZD, but that's wrong!, you guys in New Zealand should be able to pay $230 at the NZD rate. (well i think so:D)

I know that buying ipods in other countries besides the U.S is expensive and sometimes is an odyssey to buy one. An 2nd generation 8GB ipod touch in El Salvador cost around $350. VERY EXPENSIVE!, but hopefully the price will drop!;) for the 3rd generation.

Apple runs on the slogan

"smaller, thinner, cheaper"

5. Jordan the Nerd thread starter macrumors member

Jordan the Nerd

Exchange rates, etc, confuse me. I guess I'll see on September the 9th (well actually the 10th :p).

6. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

How do you know the release date? is that the Apple's Keynote Event or the ipod touch 3G release date in NZ?:confused:

7. Jordan the Nerd thread starter macrumors member

Jordan the Nerd

That is when the event is apparently planed.

Also, the Apple "Back to School" free iPod Touch with Mac purchase ends on the 8th.

8. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

ohhh, didn't know that:eek:

well i haven't seen it, in the news. (not yet)

9. Skilgannon macrumors member

Skilgannon

Here in Portugal we pay the equivalent to 331$ for the smaler capacity. You don't even wanna know how much we pay for the 32gb version... :mad:

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Neither.

Same prices, double the capacity: just like virtually every iPod release ever.

11. Jordan the Nerd thread starter macrumors member

Jordan the Nerd

Yeah, I'm happy with the same price. As long as they don't go up I'll be fine.

12. CactusChef macrumors member

Even though the base model might be $229, do you think it might lack anything than more expensive ones kinda like the iPhone 3Gs having more additional features. So there might be 2 versions of the touch?

13. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

i hardly doubt it!!!;)

or else we will see a total of 6 diffrent models in the market!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Waste of money!:D

14. Jordan the Nerd thread starter macrumors member

Jordan the Nerd

Yeah, that is one thing I was wondering, maybe a more expensive version with a camera. Would the camera be worth the extra money? Would anyone buy it?

15. brendanspah764 macrumors regular

brendanspah764

I see Apple lowering the prices on the Classic Nano and Touch...

Shuffle will remain the same.
    Nano will run for $139 and $179
    Classic $199
    Touch $199 $249 $299
    Anyone agree

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Is there some reason why people don't get that Apple likes to keep their price points as they are and just put the new products in accordingly? Its been going on since like 2003.

17. thefatmould macrumors member

In New zealand we pay NZ$389/US$265 for 8GB iPod Touch so i would expect it to stay the same. Also resellers here have began to drop prices buy 30-40 dollars so i expect a new model soon.

18. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

It is possible they might further reduce the price of the lowest-capacity model. But yeah, the price points tend to stay the same, hence why it's news on every price drop or increase.

19. killerxxx14 macrumors newbie

killerxxx14

I bet t would be a little more because they say there might be a camera and a mic.

20. killerxxx14 macrumors newbie

killerxxx14

I would get the camera because it would be so worth it because it would make it even cooler and more useful and u would not have to carry a camera around with u to

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Its been the same for years and year now, where the previous maximum capacity is shuffled down the ranks and the rest of the line follows according, all in the previous price points usually stick around.

Where have you been Beric? I haven't seen you in quite some time.

22. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

Don't forget, at this point all talk of a 3G iPod touch is nothing but speculation.

23. simsandwhich macrumors member

At the moment they sell for $389 here (down from $449 for 1st Gen). I've also been wary of the exchange rate, which leaves a very comfortable gap between US and NZ prices (even larger now than last year!).

Though this is a good thing, as profit margins are very healthy. I'd expect the 16GB to be $389, 32GB to be $449 and 64GB to be $549, with or without the camera :)

24. simsandwhich macrumors member

Apple themselves said September iPod refreshes "are a tradition". It makes logical sense they would update the iPod Touch then as well. It's much cheaper for them to make iPods with as close as possible hardware (CPU, GPU, etc) as the iPhone.

25. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Agree with this.

Apple will offer only three sizes: 16, 32 and 64GB.

We may see a camera and other features added.

But my guess is that the price points will be the same.