iPod Touch 4G Bricked?!?! *URGENT HELP*

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by PlankingBob, Jan 13, 2013.

1. PlankingBob macrumors newbie

Ok, so here is my problem!
    -iPod not turning on
    -Stuck in DFU
    -iTunes constantly "waiting for iPod" when trying to restore
    -I have tried all the "hold home/power button" tricks
    -I have tried TinyUmbrella and other softwares to try and get it out of DFU

The issue first started when the iPod would randomly go into DFU, but after holding the power/home button, it would turn back on as normal... This continued to happen more frequently, so, i decided to restore it via iTunes... BUT, i believe there was an error during the restore, and now every time i try and restore it, iTunes constantly waits for the iPod and the iPod screen shows the apple logo with a progress bar that does not move!

So i think my iPod is bricked! But any help would be greatly appreciated! I really don't want to buy a new one as this iPod has not been damaged in any way!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It isn't bricked. You cannot brick an iOS device. Calm down and put it into DFU mode and restore it. If it won't go it to DFU mode, you either are not doing it correctly or there's a hardware failure.

3. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Are you 100% sure it's in DFU mode? Open System Information and make sure the USB device says DFU mode.

4. PlankingBob thread starter macrumors newbie

If you read, i said it IS in DFU and wont get out! I was going to try and restore via redsnow, and it said the iPod was in DFU... So im starting to think it might be a hardware failure, but i dont know what could have caused it, its undamaged!
    Oh and it wont restore, it constantly says "waiting for iPod"

5. FlatlinerG macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

1. It isn't bricked.
    2. Make absolute 100% sure you're in DFU and not just recovery mode and try restoring in iTunes on a computer that hasn't been used for jail breaking, ie a friend or relatives computer.

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

It's very common for a poster to tell us a device is in DFU mode and it's actually not. We don't know your actual level of knowledge so we needed to start with the basics.

7. PlankingBob thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, for the 3rd time, its in DFU mode! :) And i will go and try restore it on a 3rd computer, i have tried an imac, now im trying my macbook air, and i will go and try it on my other imac! And fair enough, im new to the Fourm, but i do know what im doing!

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

9. PlankingBob thread starter macrumors newbie

I think im on my 4th cable now, but to make sure, i will try another cable... Wish me luck guys... Oh, and i failed to mention, im restoring to IOS 6.0.1

10. PlankingBob thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, well, after using another computer to restore, i still get the message from itunes "waiting for ipod" while the ipod screen shows the completion bar, stuck on 0%... So, is anyone thinking that idevices can be bricked yet? :) Thanks for all the help, it is appreciated, and if there is anything else you can suggest, please do so!

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It isn't bricked. A bricked iDevice is one that doesn't turn on at all, shows no life, and is not detected by a computer. Your iPod turns on, attempts to start, and is seen by a computer. Thus, not bricked.

12. PlankingBob thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, its still completely unusable, and if your not going to post anything actually constructive, dont post at all :p It wont restore, turn on... NOTHING... Anyway, i just tried to restore it via redsn0w, and it gets passed the "waiting for iPod" stage, but now its stuck on "waiting for NAND" Not sure, but i think NAND is the memory, so, its a hardware issue, has anyone got any ideas on how to fix it?

13. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

Don't talk to a g4 like that! Besides, hes an expert I would say

14. PlankingBob thread starter macrumors newbie

Look, im sorry, just very frustrated, ive been working on this for 2 days straight! And nothing... Others have had the same issue to no avail :p I could really do with some help... BUT, since the warranty has gone, im not sure if i can still get apple support, but was thinking, since its a failure NOT caused by the user (as this device is not jailbroken, nor has it been dropped, or had any water damage) could it still be under some cover from apple? And sorry for going off at you guys, i know your just trying to help! :)

15. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Clean Computer (e.g. no hosts file re-directs etc)
    DFU mode device
    Updated iTunes 11
    Plug in, acknowledge the fact that the device is in restore mode and then restore it.

Will restore any device back to default unless its knackered.

16. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

DFU-mode is complete black screen
    Recovery-mode is Connect to itunes screen

Many people confuse the 2, that is way we ask what state it is in.

Are you on a windows or a mac machine?

17. PlankingBob thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, i removed the line "74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com" from the hosts file, but what about the redirect?!?!

----------

I am most definitely in DFU! Completely black screen, the only time you see life is when you attempt to restore, but the progress bar does not move?!?! And i am on a mac running latest versions of mountain lion and latest versions of iTunes :)

18. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

ok

type in gs.apple.com on your mac, it should take you ro a place holder from apple, if it takes you to cydia the host file is still not correct

19. PlankingBob thread starter macrumors newbie

20. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

21. PlankingBob thread starter macrumors newbie

It takes me to a placeholder by apple... So what exactly do i need to do? You are being very helpful by the way, thankyou :)

22. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

was it jailbroken and on what ios firmware was it?

23. PlankingBob thread starter macrumors newbie

No it was not jailbroken, and i think it failed during the instillation of IOS 6.0.1, and now it wont let me restore the ipod... I tried using redsn0w to kick it out of DFU, with no luck, and then i tried redsn0w to install ios 6.0.1 but it freezes on: waiting for NAND, and when restoring on itunes it freezes on: waiting for itunes

----------

And by freezes, i mean it constantly says: waiting for ipod, with NO progress!

24. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

and you did try to hold home and power until it turns on?

25. PlankingBob thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, for a very long time, but still, nothing... When i tried restoring using redsnow, it stopped on "Waiting for NAND" and i think NAND is the memory, so.... I have no idea!!