iPod Touch 4g or Wait for T-Mobile iPhone?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by scott523, Oct 8, 2010.

1. scott523 macrumors 6502a

I currently have a 3g iPod touch and trying to do the waiting game for an iPhone to surface on T-Mobile. However, with all these Verizon rumors blowing up, should I just get the new 4g iPod touch and enjoy what I can get?

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

If you can, try to find a used iPhone, but if you can't, get the iPod. The iPhone isn't coming on another carrier for sometime.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can already use an iPhone with a T-Mobile SIM...

4. kevink2 macrumors 65816

Only if you jailbreak it and, in addition, unlock it. Which apparently can be an issue with some ROMs.

5. plumosa macrumors regular

plumosa

there are factory unlocked iphones on ebay. In Canada, you can buy an iphone directly from apple that is not locked to any carrier. Its worth looking into!

6. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

This. If someone can ship the iphone from canada to you, it would be awesome. Its unlocked from apple so no need to jailbreak. It will be slightly expensive...but it will be worth it IMO.

7. scott523 thread starter macrumors 6502a

If it was someone who didn't care about its hardware, then yes, it will be worth it.

I went to Ottawa to visit my grandparents for two weeks in August did have a chance in getting one at the Apple Store (they even allowed commitment-free customers to bypass the line). But with all the problems surfacing and the fact that it would run on EDGE on T-Mobile, there's no way I would buy any iPhone.

I suppose it's best to just wait it out since the new iPod Touch isn't worth the need to upgrade?

8. kevink2 macrumors 65816

Since he mentioned Tmobile, I assumed in US. It wouldn't surprise me if Canadian phones sell at a premium since they are unlocked :)

And, if I ever had to travel overseas for other than, maybe someday a vacation, I would want an unlocked phone.

9. tooobe macrumors regular

So, hang on, how would the iPhone being officially released on T-Mobile solve any of the so called "problems" or the fact that it would run on EDGE? If those are dealbreakers for you, why not just get the iPod Touch?

10. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Of course, if the iPhone was officially released for T-Mobile, they would update the firmware to support AWS and thus T-Mobile's 3G network (trivial change probably, though I admittedly don't know all the details).

As for the other stuff, of course that would only change with a new model or an adjustment of perspective (since many of the "problems" out there are either blown out of proportion or are simply the result of narrow-minded thinking). Depends on your opinion on what problems actually exist.

jW

11. kevink2 macrumors 65816

There would be some radio differences. I don't know whether they could solve it with some low level firmware differences, or if there are hardware changes required.

A reason that I don't think all the opening up of frequency bands is a panacea. How many phones could support 7, 8, etc, bands? Antenna changes would be required, and we already know that they can be a problem area :)

12. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

They already support the required bands (on the iPhone 4, although not on previous models), it's just the band switching technique (AWS) that isn't support. Thus, it should be a relatively easy change, without any hardware modifications.

jW