ipod touch 4th gen. WIFI always ?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by joecool99, Oct 8, 2010.

1. joecool99 Suspended

joecool99

is it true that the WIFI is always on (give you have it on and connected) even in a sleep mode ?

is that why some are complaining about short battery life ?

2. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

Yes. But I slept at 20% and woke up at 18% after 8 hours. It's probably more of some of the multitasking apps that suck battery.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Same issue here. Whenever Wifi is on, the battery is murdered. If i turn WIfi off, it works. i wish it was like my first generation ipod that would actually disconnect and where you could actually keep push notifications on.

4. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Leave it on every night. Battery always is more or less the same when I woke up.

5. Skyhigh223 macrumors regular

Just turn your WiFi off when you're not using your iPod. I do it out of force of habit ever since I got my 2nd gen. Pretty annoying if you're not used to doing it, and I'm not sure why Apple implemented it. Are you honestly going to be staring at your iPod for hours without using it, waiting for a push notification?

The only reason I can think of why Apple may have put this in is for radio apps. If you shut the screen off, WiFi will remain on and the app will still be able to stream music without the WiFi shutting down.

And it's not the iPod touch 4 specifically that's getting this "WiFi always on" thing, it's any device that updated to iOS4.

6. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

You have an app keeping it on. Perhaps Skype. I have push Exchange enabled and I lose perhaps 3% overnight.

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Nope. I always clear out running apps. It just wont disconnect from the internet and I lose >50%+ of battery life.

8. skiltrip macrumors 68030

My experience is the same as above.