iPod Touch 4th Generation newb questions

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Che Castro, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Che Castro macrumors 603

ok this is my first ipod, i currently have the iphone 4

a few quick questions

if i want text do i have to get a plan with at&t ? or another network

and is this basically the iphone minus the phone?

now facetime how does this work between the ipod touch and the iphone 4

is it done by email?

and once 4.1 is jailbroken can u do facetime calls via 3g iphone to ipod?

2. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

1.You can't get a plan but there are plenty of txting apps.
    2.Yes
    3.It works via email or if the other person have an iPhone you can just use their number.
    3. Not sure bout this one.

3. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

does the ipod even have 3g connection?

just wifi?

4. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

1. There is no SMS plan available from any cellular networks for the iPod. There are, however, apps that let you text from your iPod.

2. For the most part. But there are other differences. The iPod Touch also lacks a true GPS receiver, a compass, an IPS screen, and the rear camera is of lower quality, both in terms of picture size and quality (although in well lit areas the photo quality is very similar). Also, the iPhone features an all glass and aluminum design, whereas the iPod's backing is the chrome back.

3. Yes it is done by email. When you open up FaceTime on the Touch it will ask you to create a FaceTime account. You can use any email address as your FaceTime "number."

4. To the best of my knowledge, a jailbroken iPhone can do FaceTime calls over 3G. The iPod cannot though, since it does not have a 3G receiver, so you'll always need Wi-Fi.

5. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

Just WiFi.
    3G would be pointless because of the iPhone.

6. mchad macrumors member

It wouldn't be pointless, some folks only want a device that uses data so it would be nice to have 3G with pay as you go plans like they offer for the iPad.

7. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

It would still make Apple look stupid.

8. mchad macrumors member

oh, i see so does that mean the iPad having 3G is stupid? Your opinion is nothing other than that, an OPINION

9. krefi macrumors newbie

If you already have an iPhone 4, why even bother with an iPod too? :confused:

10. caribou123 macrumors member

That's a very good question, more specifically a Touch. Certainly there can be a case for a having a Nano or Shuffle with an iPhone, but a Touch?

11. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

Because there's no phone version of the iPad. If the Touch got 3G the iPhone would probly sell less.

12. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

USe your brain. the iPad has 3G because other competing tablets have 3G........... Dont flame people before you think

13. mchad macrumors member

USE YOUR BRAIN....Just because you don't think it is a good idea doesn't mean that it isn't one.

14. longball11 macrumors 6502a

longball11

I know damn well not many people will want 3G on an iPod touch. I am not paying damn monthly for a product when there is already one just like it. God, some people are so obsessed with 3G. Just get the damn iPhone. Period.

15. daimaru macrumors newbie

I'm an iPod Touch newb too!

Hello, I just got my first iPod Touch and I have to say it's really amazing. I moved from a Sansa Fuze 2 GB player so this product is really too much to handle. So instead of forming a new thread I'd like to add in my own newb questions to this existing one? This will mostly involve battery conservation questions, as I really do not understand how push/fetching/other battery consuming things truly works.

1. If I buy apps/music in my iPod, will it sync to iTunes in my computer as well?

2. Charging cycles - I'm concerned for the time the iPod charges from <20% capacity because it really charges up to 100% extremely fast?

3. How do apps and their notifications work when the app is completely shut off in the drawer? I noticed this when I had a Godville notification pop-up when the app was not running. (Which brings me in the next question...)

4. Knowing wifi is the culprit of battery drainage overnight, does turning airplane mode on completely cut off all push/notification capabilities?

5. I don't understand: which apps are affected with push/fetching data? Every app that can have notifications?

6. I'm interested in buying an iHome alarm clock/speaker, you think the 4th Generation became too thin for it to dock in a stable position?

7. Is the auto-brightness too dim or is it just me?

Thanks again, any tips on extending the battery life on this product without risking true functionality.
    If it helps, I'm a college student that plans on using this device for 3 main things:
    1) Music (I don't bother converting bit rates down)
    2) Games (I sold my DSi for this)
    3) School (Complete wifi access on campus and also bought iStudiez Pro and tools for my math major)

16. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

1. Yes.
    2. it will charge to 80% pretty quick but the next 20% will take a lot longer.
    3. Push is push. The information is pushed to you through Push server so the app doesn't need to be run.
    4. The battery on mine is fine. No drain overnight? Yours does?
    7. Yes, I think it's a bit too dim.

17. Scott549 macrumors regular

It's $1,000/year for an iPhone. If the iPod Touch had the 3g option like the iPad, it would become a portable Internet phone and cost about one-third the cost of an iPhone. Would Apple be stupid to offer such a product? I don't think so. At this point in time they might think it would cut too much into iPhone sales, but if other companies start offering a product that can do this, which seems like only a matter of time, they will likely reciprocate.

18. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

i bought as a gift for someone else , i have it for a few days

19. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

It would be a terrible business move, which is why I'm sure Apple will never do it.

It's never going to happen people, get over it.

20. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

Because it isn't.

21. Scott549 macrumors regular

They put it in the iPad. They'll probably put it in the smaller, 7" iPad. But you are sure they would never put that feature in a smaller device? I think anyone who acts like they know whether Apple will or won't do this is overconfident. My prediction is that within two years there will be an iPod Touch with 3g service. I could be wrong, but I think it is very possible. A wifi phone with connection to a 3g network only when you need it would be a useful product. If Apple doesn't offer it, someone else will.

Edit - one more thing. Why do so many people get so emotional about this issue? It seems to me that some of it is fueled by iPhone owners who would be jealous if Apple offered a better deal to others.

22. mchad macrumors member

great points, that is what i was trying to say earlier, nobody on this forum knows everything about apple unless steve jobs is lurking around under a secret identity

23. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

Do you even think before you talk?? If everyone disagrees with you than it is NOT a good idea. Want to point to your previous comment. If you think that a 3G mp3 player is a good idea, guess what. It's your opinion and Nothing else. There is ZERO market for a Mp3 player with 3G. Having an iPod with 3G starts to go into iPhone turf which is the dumbest idea ever and wouldn't make any sense for apple to do that. There will never be a 3G iPod touch.

24. Scott549 macrumors regular

This is why I think this poster is acting on emotion and not facts.

You could also say there is zero market for an mp3 player with [a camera] [a phone] [video][gps], etc. etc. etc. There's a BIG market for this.

25. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

No, because they already make a smaller device with 3G in it. It's called the iPhone. If you want 3G, they want you to buy an iPhone. They are not going to eat into their iPhone margins and chub up the Touch as would be necessary by cloning an iPhone and remove the calling ability and sell it you for $220 contract free. It's just not going to happen in Apple's entry in this form factor.