iPod Touch and High School

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by airjuggernaut, Dec 6, 2007.

1. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

I've had the iPod Touch for about a week now, and have used it quite extensively, and now i'm considering returning it.

I honestly kinda of find the ipod touch a little high maintenance. Since it's so new, and is the "latest" thing, I constantly find my self worrying about it.
    The thing is, i'm a well known kid around school, and being well known, dosent mix well with my Obsessive Compulsive "OH NO IT WILL SCRATCH THE BACK". A lot of people want to see the iPod touch, and I get annoyed everytime someone asks if they can listen to it -_- (even though i say no most of the time)

I'm honestly thinking of returning it, and getting a low key Ipod Classic, sure I loose the big screen, and internet, the cool factore, but atleast I won't have to worry about it 24/7. Plus I kinda don't like the music playing capabilities of the iPod touch, as much as i thought I would.

I don't know what I should do. Continue to live with the Greatest iPod there is, and enjoy all of its features, or downgrade to the lower end iPod so I don't have to worry about it.

What are your thoughts?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I think you worry too much. Just enjoy your iPod. :)

3. gr8ful macrumors member

If you really enjoy it, keep it. Your friends will soon get used to you having the touch and you will be able to enjoy it in peace.

4. Dikkers macrumors member

simple.

Don't take it to school? or even get it out of your bad if you do.

you're only getting it out in the 1st place to show it off

:p

5. lozanoj83 macrumors 6502a

lozanoj83

I go to high school and I let all my friends borrow it when they need to, to listen to it in music class or at lunch. But then again my school only has 500 kids and my class only has 92, so I mostly know everyone....
    but as for you paranoid on scratching it.... isn't it why they made cases? I bought my iClear and ive been extremely happy with it, and its awesome....

suggest you buy a case, and dont get an iPod Classic.

6. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Is well known a fancy way of saying loser? I'm really not sure I see what the situation at all here is. If you don't want people ****ing with your ipod, then keep it in your pocket. Not too hard as far as I'm concerned. My friends play with my phone all the time, whats the worst that will happen?

7. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

if your that worried about scratches get a bloody protective case for itlol

8. airjuggernaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, thank you for pointing out my Social Akwardness, oh great one. I don't know how I will ever live my loserish ways down :D

Ok First, Im sorry I was posting this on a day where I had like 2 hours,

What I ment was I don't like hassle of taking the iPod touch to school. Sure some of you say "Keep it at home" or "Don't show it off". Well first of all, I only showed it to a couple of my close friends, then it spread to everyone that i had it. (I goto a high school of about 700 kids, not too hard). And Keeping at home would defeat the purpose of having the iPod. I'm not the type the shows off to prove anything either.

I want an iPod i don't have to worry about getting thrown around, and the touch isn't one of them.

So what i'm asking is, should i get an iPod that i can throw around and never have to worry about
    or should I keep my amazing touch?

9. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Well geez, if that's the main problem then the solution is super simple. When people ask to hold it for a minute to check it out, you say 'sure, just don't take it out of the case.'

10. airjuggernaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

True.

You know what I feel like an idiot for have posting this in the first place.

It's just that I'm really retardedley protective of my technology.

I think it's because I bought this with my own money, thats why I'm being stupid about it.

Forget about it people :p
    I'm good now.

Gonna continue enjoying my Touch :D

11. rjames86 macrumors member

I was also very paranoid about scratching my ipod, to the extent that I hadn't even used it up until yesterday because I didn't have the case I wanted for it. I've always been a big fan of iSkin cases. I have one for my classic, nano and FINALLY my ipod touch. Its not quite as impressive as iskins of the past, but its the best ipod touch case I've found so far. No more worrying about fingerprints or scratches.

12. viper24 macrumors newbie

high school kids have too much money these days...

buy a nano if your worried about

13. Ilovemyipod macrumors regular

Ilovemyipod

No our parents do LOL

i have a touch and i take it to my high school i get the same attention at first then people started getting used to it. plus other kids have it too. and now most people have the new gen ipods.

JUST KEEP IT and try hacking it.

(at your own risk though):)

14. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Holly Cow Your parents bought you a touch My parents would say no if i wanted a used nano, I had to buy my macbook.

15. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

You seem to of sorted out your problem now, but another option would be to buy a refurb shuffle for $49, so you could use a combination of the two.

Anyway, it's funny that I have the opposite problem to you. I keep getting my new nano out in a pathetic attempt to strike up a conversation when I'm in college. Please tell me thats not as nerdy as it sounds. :eek:

16. airjuggernaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol I earned this touch with my own money 8)

But you guy's were right, it's dieing down, no one asked to see it today, except my buddy. who i dont mind using it.

I'm happy some people understand my anxiety, you dont have the same anxiety when your older and at uni or college.

17. asmallchild macrumors regular

That's because it's when you start to realize there are more important things in life than scratches.

18. airjuggernaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lmfao
    haha

so true :p

19. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

My mother always said if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

20. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

Im known to be obsessive about this things too, what you must do is be respected. Yell to them, beat the living sh*t if they mess around with your ipod (figuratively speaking jeje) INSIST that you went trough a lot of thing to get to it (even if you didn't), just let them know you take a lot of care to it and then they will understand (well my classmates did).
    In my case the whole me being obsessive its a laughing matter (in which i participate too, its funny) We are like "hmm that thing is like victors iphone it cant be touched *laughs*" they have acknowledged that i take extreme care of any apple products surrounding me and they learned to respect that.
    My point is: keep the iPod touch, but let them know that you take extreme care of it and that if they take it out of the case they must be extra carefull, they will eventually understand. Hope this helped.

-Victor

21. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Ahhh...to be in high school again and only worry about things like scratching your iPod (not that they had iPods when I was in HS :D)...those were the days...LOL

22. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

I use my iPod touch and MBP at my high school every day. They aren't damaged. And I let people use them, even when I'm not there:)

23. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

Just make up an excuse like " I let some kid see it and he dropped it on the lunch table, so I'm not letting anyone mess with it anymore"

24. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

your problem is that you're afraid something might happen to it

IMHO, if you're worried about losing or damaging your Touch, don't take it anywhere....which defeats the point of an iPod

i suspect if any of you saw my iPod, you'd all faint of shock

- wifi recpetor is slightly dented
    - screen has about an inch worth of scratches in it
    - back is so scratched that you can barely see the engraving

the other side of it is that i actually use my iPod like an iPod.........

25. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

teens always worry about little thing. of course, it's expensive for them. I understand. why don't you keep it? if you like it, you don't have any problem. plus do some nice for your classmates in school.