iPod Touch (Back) Temporary Back Cover

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ChristopheJD, Sep 17, 2008.

1. ChristopheJD macrumors regular

Okay I know the back of the iPod Touch, as well as many other models have that shiny back that can easily be scratched. Okay, well I my iPod Touch is sitting at a FedEx facility waiting to be picked up. When I do, I want to know what you guys think I should do with it. No doubt, I plan to open it and set it up, but is there any way I can avoid scratches on the back while I wait for the InvisibleShield to come in? Tape, wrap? Any suggestions?

2. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

Don't open it till you get a case, believe me.

3. ChristopheJD thread starter macrumors regular

I'm guessing it won't hold up well then? Ugh. InvisibleShield ships at the 29th of this month and takes 2-3 weeks to deliver. Thanks for responding. :3

4. exhibit.b macrumors regular

it comes with a sticker that covers the screen. I took that and placed it on the back I have been using that since I got it last week and haven't had any scratches yet. I also keep it in the case that it came in when I'm not using it. Gelaskin.com has skins coming out for it this week that's what I am waiting on.

5. ChristopheJD thread starter macrumors regular

Okay cool. One more question. Does it cover the whole back, and kind of wrap around almost to the front?

6. exhibit.b macrumors regular

no you can still see the sides of it but you really shouldn't have any problems as long as you don't drop it or something. I think it will hold up until cases are available

7. ChristopheJD thread starter macrumors regular

Alrighty thanks. I was stressing thinking about not taking it out and staring at the package, or taking it out and scratching the back.

8. California King macrumors 65816

9. gusto5 macrumors member

does it fingerprint/scratch THAT FAST?!

10. nick4597 macrumors newbie

What's wrong with scratching the back? I'd rather use my Touch, not have to worry about babying it and protecting it. It seems awfully durable. My iPhone is scratched to he** and works perfect, does not affect it's functionality at all.

11. radpanic macrumors member

I have been using mine since for about a week without a case. I am just careful with it. It only has few tiny scratches now. I actually thinl it's less prone to scratches than my previous iPods but I could be wrong.

12. ChristopheJD thread starter macrumors regular

I just want to avoid buying anything else.
    I was hoping to use household products or something. :p But the sticker that is in the front will do.

13. OffBrand macrumors member

Christophe, I'd get a Best Skin Ever or an Invisible Shield for the back cover. Perhaps even before opening your Touch. I have one for my player, and while a BSE doesn't look like much, it's much sturdier than you'd think. I wish I got one before buying my current player.

14. ChristopheJD thread starter macrumors regular

I have an InvisibleShield on order now, but I know I'll be tempted to open it. InvisibleShields ship approx. on the 29th of this month, and 2-3 weeks to deliver. I don't know how long I can keep myself from tearing open the iPod package. :p Thanks for the suggestion.

15. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

This will sound strange but.....

Clear packaging tape. Also keep it on when you get a case as dust and all grit still gets in those and dulls things up. Sold my 1 year old touch recently with zero scratches as it was protected since new. Be sure to get a good quality tape like 3m, otherwise it will yellow and leave gobs of adheasive when removed. Workng the tape around the edges on this new one is tough but possible.

840 from iPod Touch

16. dmcman73 macrumors newbie

I want to second the Belkin silicone case. Although it is for the 1G version, the 2G fits in it snug. There are no holes on the sides of the case for the volume control but that doesn't matter since it is silicone, you can still press the buttons through the case.

It will keep the back of the iPod from getting scratches until your invisible shields come in.

17. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

I don't mind to use it even I have no case. worry about scratch? I don't get it. if you worry about it, just attach first gen. film on the back. but you need to trim little bit. I did it, and have no problem, and just put into leather case. I already have Sena leather case. it is sort of universal case which fit iphone, touch both.

18. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

I too am waiting for a screen protector to come in the mail. Here's what I've been doing. Whenever I'm not using my Touch, I lay it on the polishing cloth, which I have on my desk. I figure it won't scratch while sitting on the cloth. And when I use it, I keep it in my hand. My hand surely won't scratch it. So just keep it in your hand when using it, and put it down on something nice, such as the polishing cloth, when not using it.

19. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

wow, did u guys not read the bodyguardz thread at all? body guardz is like the invisible shield just better and it is shipping NOW!

20. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Yes I did I am familiar with their products (Blackberry). Clear thin film, next to no impact resistance. Not much different than my Package tape I put on that is free, dosen't look too bad for costing $0. If you don't already own a roll of good package tape the most it will cost is ~$5(US) with 50 - 100s of applications depending on the size of the roll.

I have a few iPod socks I tend to use (hey I live in an area with cold winters), and that completes the protection I need for my iPod for the most part.

IMG_1634.jpg

IMG_1636.jpg

Ran out of extra wide package tape so sadly a seam is visible in this shot (there normally is none).

Always pinching pennies :eek:

[​IMG]

21. ChristopheJD thread starter macrumors regular

I know about BodyGuardz but I guess InvisibleShield called to me first. Plus some of the BodyGuards I've seen don't always fit the iPod like they're supposed to.

And Quadra, thanks for the packaging tape idea. I was thinking about using scotch tape, but that would take some time. So your idea really isn't strange at all. I think it's practical for the time being.

22. ll PiStoNs ll macrumors regular

Just take strips of tape and run them down the back neatly

23. yrchern macrumors member

I ordered invisibleShield on 9/16 for my iPod touch 2G and they have it shipped today. :)

24. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

You can scratch it by dragging your fingernail lightly across it.

25. ChristopheJD thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, the expected ship date has been moved to the 22nd. Tape will be on the back of the iPod until I get it. =]