iPod touch cracked screen,have hacked it before,warranty voided?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Rodster1519, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Rodster1519 macrumors newbie

Okay I got an Itouch last year in April(08). I got it at the apple store. Around September I decided to jailbreak it. But then in November I restored the itouch. Last Friday, I'm guessing that I must have hit the screen on a desk at school while it was in my pocket, but I hadn't noticed. When I took my touch out of my pocket I looked at it and did a doubletake and saw a line about a quarter inch in length half and idk like 1/60th of an inch in width I guess lol inch from the top.I didn't mind it much at first then it got bigger!it grew to accross the screen horizontily with 1/8 of an inch of thickness, towards the right side there is some yellow around that part of the line. The crack is on the inner screen not the outer. My friend told me that his screen cracked also(he didn't hack it)and took it to the apple store and they gave him a new itouch in one hour.considering me jailbreaking it can I do what my friend did?

2. armoguy94 macrumors 6502

Just restore your iPod to official Apple firmware using iTunes, go to the Apple Store, and exchange it. Good luck!

3. Rodster1519 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ate you sure there is no way that they can find out I had hacked it?

4. Lunchbox700 macrumors regular

First of all you didn't really hack it, and second of all they don't care as much as you think they do, and three it's already broken and they are gonna do whatever they decide to do regardless of what you do so as long as the current software is on it now so just take it back in and see.

Oh yeah 4th sorry about your Ipod touch it sucks that you broke it, I was without mine for awhile (I have a 1st gen so it's been around awhile) and it sucks. Also any pics because for some reason I am always fascinated by broken ipod screens .

5. Rodster1519 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks! My friend got his brand new itouch in about an hour. Do you think I will get a one that quickly or a new one for that matter?

6. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

First, they're not going to know you jail-broke it so long as it is now restored. Second, they probably wont even check. Third, relax, and take it in and hope for the best.

This actually happened to me back in 2003 with my 3rd gen iPod (inner screen crack, outer screen intact). I didn't have a local apple store, so I filled out the repair form online, was send a box, sent it in, and two weeks later, I had a brand new iPod, no questions asked. They even re-engraved it for me.

Good luck.

7. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

Why do you expect Apple to pay for you breaking your iPod Touch? A warrenty is for faults that come up due to manufacturing, not for replacing items the user has broken. Apple will not exchange or fix your iPod for free.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you wont get a new ipod for breaking it yourself

what exactly do you think the warranty covers? it only covers manufacturing defects

9. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

it depends on the type of warranty the OP have. I once dropped my iphone in the toilet (oops) told my phone carrier (O2) and they replaced it for about £40 ($60) only.

10. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

If you hacked it with an axe and broke the screen, that's your fault. But any "normal" hacking shouldn't affect the screen. Anything that is caused by your hacking, Apple won't help you. Anything that cannot be caused by your hacking, they have to help you.

11. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

It's not the glass that cracked on the OP's iPod - it seems to be the LCD itself. That clearly cannot be caused by the user if the glass isn't broken.

12. Lorenz0 macrumors regular

The OP didn't say if there was extended cover on it or not. It's over a year old - so we could all be arguing over whether this should be covered by warranty (I'm in the 'not' camp btw) for nothing.

13. jmckee macrumors newbie

With my experience, they won't replace it as its not a defect. We repair lcd's and the digitizers for about $60-70(depending on generation), with free return shipping. If they won't replace it, you can send it to my store and we'd be more than happy to help. Let me know what happens and if we can help!

Jerrod
    Droppedlaptop.com

14. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

That's insurance, not warranty.