Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GeckoSlayer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2008
Soo, my ipod touch started not recognizing screen touches in applications, I was told by some guy in an IRC channel to install winpwn and pwn the ipod and see if that helps.

So I installed winpwn, turn it on, it chucked my device into DFU perfectly fine and it came back on churning around for a bit with white text on the screen. Then, well, then it stopped working.

Here is the last few lines from teh winpwn log:

"5/10/2008 4:48:09 PM - Sending ramdisk to iPhone.
5/10/2008 4:48:10 PM - Transfer took 1703.125ms
5/10/2008 4:48:10 PM - Modifying environment...
5/10/2008 4:48:11 PM - Starting pwnage
5/10/2008 4:48:19 PM - iPhone left recovery mode"

Now, when I go to get it into recovery mode, I get no apple logo. It is just a black screen, there is no itunes recognizing it, nothing.

I've tried the whole power + home and every combination imaginable. Noo dice. This serves as a bit of warning to not use beta software on a brand new $630 gadget! Anyway, I hope you guys can help.

Here's hoping I haven't just wasted $630,
Dylan

GeckoSlayer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2008
Alright guys, after reading around, I heard about this 10 second thing. I tried that, no deal with DFU.

Opened up the ipod, installed in a quick 555 timer to electronically 'hold down' the power and home buttons for 10 seconds and then release power while keeping home held down. This doesn't work, but increasing it to 11 seconds triggered DFU and I'm up and running again.

It's all good to close this thread now.

PMB

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2007
New York
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

wait, you mean you physicaly opened it up?

GeckoSlayer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

wait, you mean you physicaly opened it up?

Yeah mate, I figured it was buggered anyway, opening it up wouldn't have changed anything.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
But what's the difference between holding the buttons down for 11 seconds instead of 10 with your hand, and 11 seconds instead of 10 with a timer?
Curious as to the answer to this question as well.

I don't understand why the OP opened his Touch and jacked in a 555 timer.

GeckoSlayer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2008
But what's the difference between holding the buttons down for 11 seconds instead of 10 with your hand, and 11 seconds instead of 10 with a timer?

Home button hadn't worked since day 1, I could have just shorted it using the tip of a screwdriver, but that wouldn't have been much fun would it? :p

Curious as to the answer to this question as well.

I don't understand why the OP opened his Touch and jacked in a 555 timer.

Really, it was just a case of not knowing how DFU worked, and I wanted to be around the computer to be able to check what changes on the USB side of things when entering DFU. Again, I could have easily shorted it, but that would have been two hands taken up - and would have had to hold down the screwdriver (and afaik, I only have two hands!)

Drucifer

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
Home button hadn't worked since day 1, I could have just shorted it using the tip of a screwdriver, but that wouldn't have been much fun would it? :p

Really, it was just a case of not knowing how DFU worked, and I wanted to be around the computer to be able to check what changes on the USB side of things when entering DFU. Again, I could have easily shorted it, but that would have been two hands taken up - and would have had to hold down the screwdriver (and afaik, I only have two hands!)

Um, if I just paid $600+ like you did and the Home Button wasn't working simple logic would say to take it back for a non defective iPod. Once you open it up thought I believe it automatically voids your warrantly.

donaldj

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Um, if I just paid $600+ like you did and the Home Button wasn't working simple logic would say to take it back for a non defective iPod. Once you open it up thought I believe it automatically voids your warrantly.

So does jailbreaking/pwning... so hes not losing anything.

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
the correct way should be to have the ipod hucked up to pc/mac via USB first, if the ipod is off I think plugging it into the pc/mac would turn it on. (humour me with this I know you say you have tried it) If thats the case hold the home and sleep buttons down, ipod goes off eventually, keep held down till you see apple logo and then just hold the home button down when the apple logo appears and keep holding it down till you get the recovery icon on the touch.............. in theory this should work lol

hope this has helped

GeckoSlayer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2008
the correct way should be to have the ipod hucked up to pc/mac via USB first, if the ipod is off I think plugging it into the pc/mac would turn it on. (humour me with this I know you say you have tried it) If thats the case hold the home and sleep buttons down, ipod goes off eventually, keep held down till you see apple logo and then just hold the home button down when the apple logo appears and keep holding it down till you get the recovery icon on the touch.............. in theory this should work lol

hope this has helped

Oh believe me, I tried everything. When I say the ipod was off, I mean it was OFF.

And, when turning it on, I tested the data pins and it showed power. This means that even though the screen was blank (and, may I add, the lighting was also off) it was still doing SOMETHING in the background. This was my first kind of premise to tell that it was not completely bricked.

See, when running winpwn, it stopped midway through for some inane reason. After waiting a while, I disconnected the ipod. Apparently winpwn had removed the firmware and not bothered to put anything back in place. So, there was NOTHING for the bootloader to run. The bootloader wasn't even functioning correctly (even though, yes, it is located as ROM). The DFU however was functioning marvelously.

As a hint to people with the same issue:
You don't NEED to open your ipod up. I just like doing things 'the hard way' some would say. All you need to do, plug it into your computer. Hold both power + home in for 10 seconds, after 10 seconds have passed, remove your hold from the power button but keep the home button firmly pressed in until your computer starts installing drivers for a DFU device.

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
Hold both power + home in for 10 seconds, after 10 seconds have passed, remove your hold from the power button but keep the home button firmly pressed in until your computer starts installing drivers for a DFU device.

I never get this 10 second rule, I tend to just hold the buttons down till it powers off and on again then when apple logo appears just let go of the sleep button

PMB

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2007
New York
I never get this 10 second rule, I tend to just hold the buttons down till it powers off and on again then when apple logo appears just let go of the sleep button

Me too, and the have to have it plugged into a computer. i just do it untill i get the cord + itunes logo

GeckoSlayer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2008
Me too, and the have to have it plugged into a computer. i just do it untill i get the cord + itunes logo

Ah, but there was no way of getting the itunes logo up. With WinPwn, it removed the firmware, which contains these screens and all the information needed to put it into restore mode. Which is why you have to go into DFU to use hardware restore mode.

paga

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2008
As a hint to people with the same issue:
You don't NEED to open your ipod up. I just like doing things 'the hard way' some would say. All you need to do, plug it into your computer. Hold both power + home in for 10 seconds, after 10 seconds have passed, remove your hold from the power button but keep the home button firmly pressed in until your computer starts installing drivers for a DFU device.
OMFG Thank You !! It works!!! I love you man!XD Ty very much!<3

molenboy

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2008
Thank you soooo much. I thought i had bricked my iPod Touch until i read this post, your a life saver xD ty sooo sooo much. :p

Grentz

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2008
So your home button is broke, your screen is acting weird, and then you decide to jailbreak?

Why did you not just send it in and get it repaired by Apple? It had to still be under warranty if it was a 32gb.

PMB

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2007
New York
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Grentz said:
So your home button is broke, your screen is acting weird, and then you decide to jailbreak?

Why did you not just send it in and get it repaired by Apple? It had to still be under warranty if it was a 32gb.

all iPod touches are still under warranty, it is a 1yr warranty.
OP: actually I believe pwnagetool does not remove any data, but rather changes logos

matt27

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
Ah, but there was no way of getting the itunes logo up. With WinPwn, it removed the firmware, which contains these screens and all the information needed to put it into restore mode. Which is why you have to go into DFU to use hardware restore mode.

I did that but then my ipod appears on itunes as iphone and when i click on restore button, it downloaded and then it kept saying " preparing iphone for restore" for 2 or 3 mins then it say can not restore error occurs!! what should i do??

itzdemo

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Austin Texas
I did that but then my ipod appears on itunes as iphone and when i click on restore button, it downloaded and then it kept saying " preparing iphone for restore" for 2 or 3 mins then it say can not restore error occurs!! what should i do??

what firmware you restoring ?

2.0 needs iTunes 7.7
1.1.4 needs iTunes 7.5

If you have the right iTunes and the firmware you have is bad you can google a new download on many sites. To use a downloaded firmware just hold down the ctrl button when you click the restore button.

Hope this helps ! It did for me.

If that don't work try uninstalling iTunes and redownloading the one you need.

matt27

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
what firmware you restoring ?

2.0 needs iTunes 7.7
1.1.4 needs iTunes 7.5

If you have the right iTunes and the firmware you have is bad you can google a new download on many sites. To use a downloaded firmware just hold down the ctrl button when you click the restore button.

Hope this helps ! It did for me.

If that don't work try uninstalling iTunes and redownloading the one you need.

I really appreciate your help, but it still did not work! The error 1604 still occurred ... I think Itunes is not the problem, but my ipod ... It doesnt show anything on the screen no matter what i do to it ... it stays blank all the time even when the itunes is restoring it. The screen only pops up white background for 2 secs when the PC recognizes it then it goes back to blank!

If you know any other ways to fix it let me know, i really need help!

arslankhn

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2008
Life Saver

Alright guys, after reading around, I heard about this 10 second thing. I tried that, no deal with DFU.

Opened up the ipod, installed in a quick 555 timer to electronically 'hold down' the power and home buttons for 10 seconds and then release power while keeping home held down. This doesn't work, but increasing it to 11 seconds triggered DFU and I'm up and running again.

It's all good to close this thread now.
------------------------------
:D:):):):):):)):):):):):):):):):):):):D
Man i cannot thank you enough. I thought I had totally bricked my ipod touch. it was only 2 days old -and i had been trying for the last 4 hours to fix it - tried everything in the book. I had bricked it using Winpwn 2.0 and was going nuts! But could never have guess the technique you explained, the 11 second thing worked like a charm!! Simply cannot thank you enough!!!!! I can breathe again!! Cheers!!! If I could, I would have bought you a round of drinks!!!!!:)

arslankhn

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2008
I really appreciate your help, but it still did not work! The error 1604 still occurred ... I think Itunes is not the problem, but my ipod ... It doesnt show anything on the screen no matter what i do to it ... it stays blank all the time even when the itunes is restoring it. The screen only pops up white background for 2 secs when the PC recognizes it then it goes back to blank!

If you know any other ways to fix it let me know, i really need help!

-------------------------------------------------------

I had this problem - the only way to fix it is use Itunes 7.5, and put the iphone/ipod touch in dfu mode. Simply hold the home button and then the power button while connected, then after 10 secs release power button, keep holding home, and itunes should pop up reconising it in recovery mode. Alternatively you can use Ziphone to put it in DFU mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.