iPod Touch Depleats Battery On Stanby

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by AppleTecFan, Jun 24, 2010.

1. AppleTecFan macrumors 6502

AppleTecFan

My iPod Touch (Second Gen) Get Less Than %20 Battery Charge When Left on Stanby For Around 5-6. I Have Started Gettin These Problems After I Have Got iOS4 For My iPod.

Fyi I Have Restarted my iPod Touch More Than One Time That Has Not Helped

2. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

3. AppleTecFan thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleTecFan

Ill Try That Right Now Thanks..//

4. JonBorichef macrumors regular

JonBorichef

Try turning off your Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and Push Notifications. Those drain battery power.

Cheers

5. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Hope it works! :)

6. MRiOS macrumors regular

or just flip airplane mode on when you're not using internet. I noticed this problem too and using airplane mode when I know I won't have wifi for a while helps the battery last just as long as it did with iOS 3.1.3.

7. Grimmeh macrumors member

I was just about to post a topic on this; I've noticed my iPod touch (second gen.) has been draining the battery much quicker than before iOS 4. I can leave it on standby, starting with a full charge, and by morning, it's completely dead. I haven't changed anything between before and after the update to iOS4. Wi-Fi is on, Bluetooth is off. What gives, Apple. iOS 4.1 already needed? Or 4.0.1, knowing them.

8. AllieNeko macrumors 6502a

Same behavior, I believe it's a non-issue. I notice push notifications are much quicker when WiFi is left on now, I believe it's no longer powering down the WiFi chip as often or for as long. It's a tradeoff...

9. AppleTecFan thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleTecFan

They Never Did Drain My Battery in 3.0

Still Draining At High Speeds.

10. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

I dont know whats up with this; i read an article about iOS4 and it said it drained your battery 2x as much, but when i post this I start getting comments about increased battery life, and then this, whats up Apple?

11. Matt-Man-Plus macrumors regular

You have to keep wifi on to receive push notifications, right? It doesn't make any sense to have to shut it off when you're not actually using it.

12. MacSiggy macrumors member

Non-issue? I think it's a major f**king issue. I only use it for an hour or two a day, I don't want to charge it every day, just to get quicker push notifications. I think they've ballsed this one up. I think I'll be reluctant to upgrade to iOS 4 on my iPad now.

Is there are way to downgrade the OS?

13. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Course. Here: http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

14. ascendedoshen macrumors member

Yes there is a significant reduction in battery life

What I do is keep all my options on for wifi but put it on airplane mode this helps and is one step easier then going into wifi. I have a 3rd gen 32 g and have seen significant battery life reduced. Which means new itouch in sep!! I can see why larger battery is must too bad u couldn't turn off multitasking. I'm sure it will have improvements made

15. Grimmeh macrumors member

I had my iPod touch (second gen.) fully charged and connected to my MacBook. At 8:22 PM, I disconnected it and took it with me. The whole time, I didn't touch it, just sitting in my pocket, on standby. It is now 9:55 PM, and I have 75% battery left. That, honestly, is horrible for just standby. It would take a full day, if not more, before iOS 4 to drain that low only sitting on standby.

I don't care what "improvements" they made, nothing qualifies for such deplorable performance (maybe multitasking, but have an option to disable that functionality? Something is fishy with Apple…).

:mad:

P.S.—It's now 12:40 AM, and my battery is down in the red, with a "20% left" warning after unlocking it. The only thing on is Wi-Fi with push notifications for Facebook (I got one notification, didn't unlock it to check it, though). Liek I said, nothing's changed since before iOS 4. Anyone else notice this? ~5 hour battery life on standby; it's supposed to get ~4 hours of battery life watching video…

16. AllieNeko macrumors 6502a

I've been paying more attention and I'm quite confident my earlier statements are correct. The WiFi is staying powered up (or at least powering up regularly) when it didn't before so that it can receive push notifications.

I'm quite thankful for this because one of my big complaints was that push notifications didn't REALLY work on WiFi unless plugged into a power source. Now they do. Bravo, Apple.

Of course it'll use more battery power working correctly than it did in it's previous power-saving but non-functional implementation.

Now, before I get beaten with a stick, the ideal solution would be to have an energy saving setting with a slider to determine between notification speed and battery life... But that's so unApplelike

17. Bdx33 macrumors member

im suffering from the same problem too
    my battery drains 5 times faster, the wierd thing is that i didnt read any news about it, i hope apple is aware of this major issue

18. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I'll add mine to the pile. Red warning within a day, where before updating my 2nd gen would go a week before needing a charge.

19. MacSiggy macrumors member

I've turned off notifications and closed all apps and not touched my iPod for 6 hours in standby and I've lost 30% of my battery. I've had wifi turned on but I've always had wifi turned on and it's not been a problem before.

This is unacceptable and I'm guessing it's the reason it hasn't been released for the iPad as battery life is one of the big selling points.

20. khamla macrumors member

I'm having the same problem, Apple dropped the ball on this one BIG TIME!! THis is a HUGE issue. I'm pissed about this, fix this Apple!

21. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

So is like everybody else. :mad:

22. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I have the answer. I took mine in to the Genius Bar yesterday. The answer is to restore but DO NOT RESTORE FROM BACKUP. Restore and then sync. It fixes the battery problem, but you have to go through and reestablish all your app prefs.

Edit: it was an OS component that continued to run, even in sleep mode, looking for something, possibly Waldo for all I know.

23. iMichaela macrumors member

iMichaela

I'll try turning it off instead. Another thing I've noticed is that the iPod touches keyboard in wifi runs really slowly for me.

24. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

I'll keep that in mind.

25. maclook macrumors 65816

What's the difference between restoring and restoring from a backup? I'm just nervous about restoring.