ipod touch died, dead.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by paperclip, Apr 1, 2009.

1. paperclip macrumors newbie

Hi, my ipod touch 8 gig just died. It worked great yesterday but when I unplugged it from it's USB connection this morning it was dead, no low battery, no nothing. Won't turn on, itunes doesn't recognize it.
    How can I get this situation resolved?

paperclip

2. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Before taking it to an Apple store, try putting it into recovery mode. Even if iTunes doesn't recognize your iPod beforehand, it may recognize it after.

It worked for me.

3. paperclip thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I get to recovery mode

Thanks Muncher for your post. How do I get to recovery mode? I did an itunes help search but got no answer.

paperclip

4. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Hold Power and Home for 10 seconds, then release power and hold home for another 10 seconds.

Your timing has to be pretty good, so use a watch or something. It may take a try or two. If you have the iPod plugged in while you do it, iTunes should pop up with a dialog box confirming the iPod is in recovery mode.

5. saberahul macrumors 68040

I had the same problem today. It just died. Recovery mode at first did nothing but then after 10 mins of trying the apple logo appeared: :apple: and then it died again. This is the second time this happened to me. Randomly after 5 times of trying, about, it started working but it was a little slow. However now it seems to be working fine- it has been about 8 hours since that happened and I haven't used it in the time within. I bought it from Sams so I will be going back to replace with another one.

6. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

What is the main cause for a dead iPod Touch? It does not have any moving parts except for that single button.

7. Skippychew macrumors newbie

recovery help

Muncher or whoever can help,

My iTouch is in recovery mode- has been for a few days. I don't know what recovery mode is and itouch help (from iTunes) doesn't seem to know either.

My question is- how do I get it out of recovery back to where it works? (I realize that the restore thing in iTunes is an option but I'd really rather not lose all the data I have put in).

Any help appreciated.

8. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

No, they don't. It's generally a software issue, but it could be defective memory or something like that.

What kind of iPod do you have? If you have a 2G touch, you might be able to use redsn0w to boot your iPod from recovery. I don't recommend it if you don't know how to use terminal, and I'm sure there's an easier way to do it, but that's all I can think of right now.

Or, you could just restore. You might lose your saved games, but at least you probably won't get the same problem in the future.

How did the iPod get put into recovery mode?

9. Anaia macrumors newbie

Anaia

ipod touch dead

I wanted to thank MUNCHER for the great hint to reactivate the ipod touch. The 10 sec. pressing SWITCH ON and HOME worked!!! Saved me a lot of trouble. Thanks and greetings from Liechtenstein.

10. wicked271 macrumors newbie

Hi, I know this is an old post. Just wanted to thank Muncher.

I have a 4g ipod touch 64gb. Your advice still works! Turned off my ipod touch for a few minutes and when I turned it on again, it just stayed off. Plugged it in my laptop but can't find the ipod in iTunes. I did the hold power and home thing for 10secs when the Apple logo finally showed up. Syncing and backing up with iTunes now in case this happens again.

Any idea why this happened? Only had this ipod for 4 months. Had my ipod touch 2nd gen for 2 years and it's still alive and kicking!

11. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

OMG LICHTENSTEIN? PM ME NOW. My friends have an inside joke aboue Lichtenstein and how they "live in the castle of Lichtenstein." I was convinced that Lichtenstein didn't exist. Is it smaller than Israel?

12. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It's right between Switzerland and Austria! :eek:

13. Justin122, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  14. paperclip thread starter macrumors newbie

Ipod back in action

Thank you to all for the solution to the problem. Much appreciated.

15. rhogarth macrumors newbie

Dead ipod touch

Thanks for the information. Worked like a charm.

16. Larrie7 macrumors newbie

just wanted to say massive thanks! my ipod died so i came here and followed your advice and its now working again. panic over :) i'd be utterly lost it without it, espesh as im travelling so cant even back it up at the mo.
    So thanks for the advice xxx

17. BlizzardBolt macrumors 6502

lol?

took 2 years to come back and post that the solution actually did work?

18. mattg3 macrumors 6502

No,it took two years of trying for the solution to finally work!