iPod touch disaster

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by alana22, Sep 28, 2007.

1. alana22 macrumors regular

Let me preface this by saying:

I love Apple (my whole family does) and we've used their products for as long as I can remember.

I am hardly picky. My Macbook has a few cosmetic imperfections (slanted mouseclick, tapered seams when closed, etc..) but it never affected the performance so it was a non-issue for me and I still love my Macbook ;)

The Apple Geniuses I have worked with over the last week have been fantastic. Really, I read horror stories on here but they always treat me so well and my questions are always answered with great attention. Perhaps Apple store employees have been made aware of vast problems with the touch and are being very 'no questions asked' about the return/exchange policy with it?

I'll try to make this short:

I bought a week 37 on 9/13. It had the negative black issue. I returned it and was given a week 38, brand new. The screen was marginally better this time. The negative black issue was very faint and only visible on rare occasions, but there were dozens if not hundreds of dead pixels. Most were faint, like green microglitter sprinkled upon any solid black surface, and there were about 3-4 quite visible ones, all within 1cm of the center of the screen. I was bummed. The first touch I had didn't have a single dead pixel. I took iPod #2 back today and the Genius quickly saw the problem. Another exchange was made and I left with my new week 38 16gb touch. I get home tonight and sync, and lo' and behold, the negative issue is back (worse than the last touch but not quite as bad as the 37), and the dead pixels are back (lots of faint green ones, and one very visible dead pixel right in the middle of the screen).

I love the touch, it is amazing but this is depressing. I think they might have rushed the technology out too quickly with this one. The screen is most definitely not like the quality of my iPhone.

Seriously....

Do I even bother trying to get a 4th touch or should I just ask for a full refund and wait for Rev.b?

And for anyone who thinks they have a perfect screen: want to ruin your Friday night? Turn off auto brightness, turn brightness to 100%, dim the lights in your room or turn them off completely, and marvel at that green, dead pixel graveyard. Slowly shift the angles, you'll see them fade in then back out as you slowly shift the angles. At each angle new batches pop up. You might catch a few big ones, but most if it is funky green surfacing.

What in the world is going on in Cupertino these days?

2. jaypee68 macrumors regular

Not sure I would call those dead pixels. Dead pixels would be dead no matter what angle, and they wouldn't fade in and out like you described. Dead pixels are pixels that just never turn on.

3. alana22 thread starter macrumors regular

Really? Even the genius speculated that's what it was. I figured due to the high pixel density they wouldn't always stand out directly at any given angle. They are tiny specks so I can't imagine they have anything to do with the motion grid? They also look identical to the brighter dead pixels that are visible at any angle. Perhaps the brighter ones are actually clusters?

Either way, it's not very fun

4. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I'd try one more time, and if the next touch fails, then I'd demand store credit for what the touch is worth.

5. chrismball macrumors newbie

I'm trying to decide if the 10+ white pixels I see against black images is worth getting a refund over. I read somewhere that iphones have had this issue fixed after a firmware update - any idea if I should just wait and see?

6. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

It sounds like you mean 'stuck' pixels, rather than dead pixels.

But yeah, that sucks. I really don't think I have any. I actually just nervously did your test, but didn't see any.

If you like the Touch (outside of the defects), I would try another unit. Did you try the firmware update? If so, did it at least help with the blacks?

My first Touch had the blacks issue. My new one is pretty good, if not perfect. It has a relatively narrow optimal viewing angle, but that's a lot different than no good viewing angle (my first Touch.) Luckily my second unit is good, I really like the Touch.

7. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I agree. I see some very, very faint sparklesbut those can't be dead pixels because for one, they'd show up a lot clearer and for two, they're only like a third of the size of a pixel. I can guarantee you that my iPod has no dead pixels. Sorry to hear about you unfortunate situation.

By the way, I just noticed the tiny drop down menu at the bottom of this page that you can change to "iPhone Friendly". Cool!

8. alana22 thread starter macrumors regular

Any ideas what the green sparkle under the screen could be if it's not dead pixels?

I could keep this touch.. the negative black issue isn't unbearable and one dead pixel is better than four. But still, you just don't want to have this type of stuff. If I paid 50 dollars for it that'd be one thing, but this is the most expensive iPod ever made. Is it too demanding to of me to let these bugs upset me?

9. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

take it back and ask for another one

after three touches and $400...you should expect a near perfect one...i say try one more and then give up on it

10. bartyboy macrumors newbie

Just out of curiosity, why would you want a Touch if you have an iphone? More storage?

11. spazer macrumors member

I looked very closely at my Touch screen the way you did and I am seeing those same green sparkles. They are definitely too small to be dead pixels. What these actually appear to be is light (from the back light) escaping between small gaps in the pixels. I've never seen anything like it on an LCD screen. Uggghhh, this is my second touch, week 38, and on top of green sparkles, I have negative black issues! (Yes, I ran the 1.1.1 update...)

12. shoelessone macrumors 6502

After three touches and 400 you should expect a "near perfect one"?

I'd say your first touch, after 400$, should be 100% perfect.

13. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

Being in the technology industry for a little while, I have noticed two things.

There are always defects in products no matter how cheap/expensive or how promising

Also, the industry moves too fast and advances onto the next best thing so quickly that it has no time to perfect yester-years technology in hopes of making a better product :)

I think after reading these posts about the ipod touch, I will wait a little while longer and just get an appletv and enjoy my media elsewhere.

14. dantay macrumors regular

dantay

Hi alana22
    I purchased a Touch yesterday and also notice a zillion green sparkles that come and go on a dark screen depending on angle....like specs of micro glitter catching the backlight.....i've just posted about this on the apple site......did you get a unit without this issue? Has anyone else seen this? Mine is a 1D738 serial number.....so a week 38.
    Thanks

15. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

That sucks. I too am on my 3rd Touch & waiting for a 4th - all negative blacks. The store Geniuses said "that's up to spec" - which is a poor spec if so. They offered to give me a full refund, but I'm getting #4 shipped from Apple & will try that.

2 suggestions:

-Don't settle for anything less than a Week 39; are they into Week 40 yet? All other iPods are shipping immediately; Touch has a backlog of 7-10 days. To me, that means they found big problems & had to retool the lines. Maybe your green pixels are yet another problem with screen coating.

-If they can't get you a 39 or 40, take a full refund. NOT store credit, a full refund. Then, try to order direct online - you *may* get a newer model (the stores seem to have older ones filtering in). Or, try Best Buy or another place. But if you cash out, wait 2 weeks-2 months before trying again, so they sort this out.

And never, ever, ever, ever buy a just-released product from Apple. Their QC on Rev. 1 products is bad, and this isn't a new thing. Guess I should have known better.

16. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

99% of what you just said was subjective.

1. I have a week 38 iPod Touch and it is perfect. The blacks are perfect and there is not a single dead pixel or green stuck pixel.

2. Not all Rev1 Apple products have Q.C. issues. I have bought a very very large amount of Apple gear over the last 5 years and hadn't had many prblems. Below is a list of the Rev1 products I have bought and the condition they arrived in.

- Rev1 iMac G5 (Perfect)
    - iPod with Video (5G) (Perfect)
    - iPod Mini (Perfect)
    - MacBook (Perfect)
    - Rev1 Intel iMac (Perfect)
    - Rev1 Aluminium Intel iMac (Perfect)
    - iPod Nano (Needed an exchange as the HD appeared faulty)

So, don't assume Apple's Q.C. is so low as it has been perfect for me in the long history of Apple products I have purchased, the above of which are just the tip of the iceberg.

David

17. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

100% of the above is subjective. OP is on 3rd bad Touch, all Week 37/38. So am I. Saying "avoid Week 37/38," given that there are known & widely reported problems with them, is probably the best solution for those of us at our wit's end. Any other speculation on my part was clearly noted as such.

Debating this too much would get off-topic. Suffice to say at least one item in your list is subject to an extended warranty replacement program. Others (Macbooks) have not been without issues. Still others are too new to really know.

And you say I'm subjective...;)

18. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I think you need to correctly interperate the meaning of 'subjective'. I said that this has been perfect for me. This is fact.

You said, avoid week 37/38 at all costs, suggesting there is problems with all of them. This is subjective.

19. aussie.damo macrumors regular

Wow! I have had the exact same issue! I have now returned 4 week 38 Touches due to the green glitter problem. The first two had about 15 bright green stuck pixels, as well as many glittering green ones. The second two weren't as bad, having only 4-6 fully stuck pixels and many glittering ones, but it was still enough for me to return them.

Now I have no Touch at all :( It's a shame, because I really love the device. I am yet to find a stockist in Australia that has anything but the week 38 devices. I'm thinking about trying my luck once I spot a 40, but i'm also wary of disappointing myself again.

A few guys I know have imported iPhones and the screens on them are amazing. I am yet to see any screen issues at all. I wish they'd use the iPhone screen in the Touch!

Damo

20. Mackan macrumors 65816

I got a week 40 iPod touch, and have zero dead pixels. However, I found that for movies with much black colors, the details are sharper when you have a slightly tilted viewing angle. I believe that is no problem, since no one actually holds the touch at a perfect 90 degrees normal towards their eyes.

21. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

I have a week 37 16GB iPod Touch and I just checked and it's perfect...no dead pixles or anything. :rolleyes:

22. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I have a "perfect" screen. No negative black issues whatsoever, in any light, and even really dark movies playback excellently.

Or rather, I did have one. After the last iPod update, videos don't work at all; they're completely riddled with visual noise and inconsistent contrast values.

23. nouras macrumors member

I'm on the same boat as well :-( my first touch was a week 38 with very slight negative black issue. Wasn't a problem at all. Except for the 2 -3 distinct stuck pixels and a number of faint ones which can be seen at certain angles. All of em were green. Sent it back and just got my replacement week 40 touch yesterday and lo and behold upon turning it on i immediately saw a RED stuck pixel right smack in the centre. And 5 other distinct stuck pixels and a few more stuck pixles. Sigh.. Getting this one replaced as well..

24. Mosh macrumors newbie

What people often forget is that usually only those who have a faulty unit will write about it. So looking at the forums you'd think "oh, week 37 and 38 Touches are faulty.." which they in fact most probably aren't for the majority. Mine is a week38, the blacks are crisp nor is there a single faulty pixel to be seen.

Now I don't want to piss on your bonfire, I understand you must be pissed off. But to me it seems more like pure bad luck. Most people with their Touch are happy using it, let's hope you get your's soon.

25. leckie macrumors member

My girlfriends 3rd gen nano has the same 'speckle' problem, it's invisible unless she is watching something black so she hasn't bothered to do anything about it.

On a side note I have a week 39 iPod Touch and everything seems to be ok so far, no speckles and no inversion problems.