Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aussie.damo

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2006
Melbourne
Yay! Week 40 = BEAUTIFUL

Okay, so I thought i'd try my luck ONE last time. (Who am I kidding, i'd try til I got one that I liked :))

Anyhoo - I picked up a week 40 today and it is perfect! No dead or stuck pixels, no green glitter effect. In fact, I compared this to my friends iPhone and the screens look very similar. Even he commented on how much clearer this screen looked (though that may have been to placate me!)

Damo (now a happy Touch owner)

uburoibob

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
It's kinda funny the gyrations people will go through to find something they can be victims of. "Turn out all the lights, turn the brightness all the way up, turn off the auto brightness, and twist it until you see a green glitter."

I know for a fact that I've never had to be in that situation to enjoy my iPod touch. Pretty much, I just turn it on and enjoy it.

Yes, it's my second, a week 38, but I HAD to take the week 37 with the neg black problem back cuz I was at the end of my 14 day return window. Had I waited one more day, I'd have had the software update that fixed the problem.:eek:

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
It's kinda funny the gyrations people will go through when they spend $400 on something and want the same quality other purchasers get.

:rolleyes:

pimmysays

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2007
it took me 3 ipods touches to get a good one, when you go to replace/exchange your touch make sure that its atleast a week 39+. Go back to apple and demand your $ back, thats what I did, got my $ back, went to target and browsed through all there touches until I found a 39 (there was only one out of 15 touches).

Hecklerdanny

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2007
Let me preface this by saying:

I love Apple (my whole family does) and we've used their products for as long as I can remember.

I am hardly picky. My Macbook has a few cosmetic imperfections (slanted mouseclick, tapered seams when closed, etc..) but it never affected the performance so it was a non-issue for me and I still love my Macbook ;)

The Apple Geniuses I have worked with over the last week have been fantastic. Really, I read horror stories on here but they always treat me so well and my questions are always answered with great attention. Perhaps Apple store employees have been made aware of vast problems with the touch and are being very 'no questions asked' about the return/exchange policy with it?

I'll try to make this short:

I bought a week 37 on 9/13. It had the negative black issue. I returned it and was given a week 38, brand new. The screen was marginally better this time. The negative black issue was very faint and only visible on rare occasions, but there were dozens if not hundreds of dead pixels. Most were faint, like green microglitter sprinkled upon any solid black surface, and there were about 3-4 quite visible ones, all within 1cm of the center of the screen. I was bummed. The first touch I had didn't have a single dead pixel. I took iPod #2 back today and the Genius quickly saw the problem. Another exchange was made and I left with my new week 38 16gb touch. I get home tonight and sync, and lo' and behold, the negative issue is back (worse than the last touch but not quite as bad as the 37), and the dead pixels are back (lots of faint green ones, and one very visible dead pixel right in the middle of the screen).

I love the touch, it is amazing but this is depressing. I think they might have rushed the technology out too quickly with this one. The screen is most definitely not like the quality of my iPhone.

Seriously....

Do I even bother trying to get a 4th touch or should I just ask for a full refund and wait for Rev.b?

And for anyone who thinks they have a perfect screen: want to ruin your Friday night? Turn off auto brightness, turn brightness to 100%, dim the lights in your room or turn them off completely, and marvel at that green, dead pixel graveyard. Slowly shift the angles, you'll see them fade in then back out as you slowly shift the angles. At each angle new batches pop up. You might catch a few big ones, but most if it is funky green surfacing.

What in the world is going on in Cupertino these days?

I'm on my third iPod touch and my girlfriend is on her FOURTH. I also have a brand new 24" iMac at home with a big speck of dirt under the glass. Let's face it, Apple just isn't selling quality items anymore. I think i'm done with it for a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.