iPod touch, first gen or second?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Dingo Dave 69, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Dingo Dave 69 macrumors regular

I am wondering if I should go for a brand new 2nd gen ipod touch or a refurbished 1st gen one? Whats the main differences between the two? What would most people go for?

2. miranon macrumors newbie

miranon

Better by current gen! :)

3. mzd macrumors 6502a

2nd gen:
    speaker, volume buttons, comes with latest firmware, 36hrs audio, 6hrs video, curved back (feels thinner), no firewire charging, built in nike + iPod receiver

1st gen:
    no speaker, no volume buttons, $10 extra to get 2.x firmware, 22hrs audio, 5hrs video, flat back, firewire charging option

4. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

Good things the 1st gen has (that the 2G doesn't):

1. Cheaper price (now at least).
    2. Thinner (at the thickest point).
    3. Less scratch-prone area visible.

Good things the 2nd gen has:

1. Speaker
    2. Nike+
    3. Possible Bluetooth
    4. Possible FM radio
    5. Smaller (overall/volume)
    6. Physical volume controls
    7. Better battery life
    8. Accepts volume input from headset (microphone).
    9. Headsets with in-line controls can be used to control music playback (pause/play/next/back)
    10. Feels much better in the hand and looks damn sexy.

5. mzd macrumors 6502a

oh yeah! i forgot about the new remote/mic headphones that are not compatible with 1st gen.

6. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

That cost $79.

Anyways if you don't have one I would go with the 2nd. That is the obvious choice. If you already have the current one then IMO it makes no sense to get the 2nd gen.. I know some have and each has to make their own choice.

7. mzd macrumors 6502a

$79 for the in ears w/ remote & mic.
    $29 for regular w/ remote & mic.

but more importantly, 1st gen is not compatible with them (or any other accessories that take advantage of the additional two rings on the plug i.e. mic/remote) and 2nd gen is.

8. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

9. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

Extra one ring, but yeah:

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/images/features/N95/photos/DSC03189.JPG

10. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

It isn't a contest between 1st gen and 2nd gen.. Both are great. You can't go wrong with either one.

11. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

Oh, please. The second one is better, and everyone knows it. You're happy with an older model? Good for you. But if you are buying a new one, the second generation iPod Touch blows the other out of the water, no questions asked! :p

12. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I suggest you should read the entire thread before answering with a dumb comment. I said in a previous post getting the 2nd gen was the obvious choice.

It doesn't blow it out of the water though. It is a little better and has a few better features.

13. Silver472 macrumors newbie

Silver472

If I were you, I'd better buy 2nd gen iPod Touch. I think it's really better because of the speakers and the battery life, basically. I think you should buy it.

14. AppleMasterFlex macrumors newbie

What do you mean by possible bluetooth and fm radio? Is there gonna be a way to get bluetooth and fm radio on or what?

Also what do you mean by #8, whats the internal microphone/remote that everyones talking about?

Lastly hows the external speaker? i used the external at the apple store but it wasn't loud at all, it may just have been the loud noises at the store.

15. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

Oh, it's pretty good... NOT :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDig0KTzUqs

16. AppleMasterFlex macrumors newbie

Still Undecided

Right now i'm debating whethr i should get the refurb for $180 and pay $10 to get the new software or get the 2g for $230.

I know all the differences and all but i'm just concerened if in the near feauture theres gonna be some cool things like a new app or new software that you'll only be able to put on the 2g and not the 1g if you know what i mean.

17. jonomayo macrumors newbie

Don't forget, if you want to jailbreak your touch, go for the 1st gen or else you will be waiting a while...

18. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

That is one of the WORST videos on the internet for judging the speaker quality. I found it to be just as good as the 1G iPhone that I have, you have to hear it for yourself before making a definitive choice.

19. Gadgetnutter macrumors newbie

Also the 2G will not charge on any accessory that utilises the older firewire method of charging (Bose SoundDock, Belkin Tunecast FM etc..)

20. .Chris macrumors 6502a

.Chris

The AOL Radio app can tap in to a few of your local radio stations. Only problem is you need to be in a wi-fi area to listen to it.

Read above

21. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

No firewire charging for 2nd gen.

You may use me as a source. I sold my 1st gen and bought a 2nd, and my car FM transmitter would not work, nor did my girlfriends. A screen would show up and say that this would not charge my touch.

Went to TJ Maxx, bought an iLuv for half price, and not only does it work, but the sound quality is exceptional.

The reason I bought the 2nd is the speaker (weak and anemic though it is), the possibility of bluetooth, and the mike jack in the headphone. The ability to quickly do voice recording of memos will be important, and if apple doesn't release a VOIP program, it will evenually be jailbroken.

Apple will eventually come up with a cool new feature that the 2nd supports and the 1st doesn't; that's how they keep us buying their products. If you're happy with the capabilities of the 1st and can find a great deal on the refurb site or on craigslist, why not?

One last irrelevant comment. Couldn't find any custom protectors for the back when I bought my 2nd, so i peeled the protective sticker off of the front of the new one, and applied it to the back! That should work until they come up with a better solution.

22. yorkshire macrumors 6502a

yorkshire

Just go for the 2nd gen. The curved back is much better to hold than the 1st gen.

23. iPod user macrumors newbie

iPod user

I have both, currently in the process of selling the 1st gen one. Definitely go for the 2nd gen, it looks so much better, great new features and i've experienced much smoother operation from the new one, no crashes, freezes as yet.

24. AppleMasterFlex macrumors newbie

thanks guys, you've definatley convinced me to get the 2nd gen.

But is there gonna be bluetooth on the 2nd gen i heard?