Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Koreos

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2008
I was wondering, for the users out there with the iPod touch... is it worthwhile to get one for college?

I don't think I'll buy an iPhone because the plans are too expensive for my student budget, and with the Back to School promotion I'll probably have a free nano or $150 off an iPod touch.

So, is the iPod Touch a good tool for school? Things I would use it for:
- Music (of course!)
- RSS reader
- iCal syncronization with MacBook
- FlashCard app (something like this)
- Quiz app
- Dictionary/translator

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
i dont think so as i treat mine just as an ipod

I also use mine just as iPod, + occasionally Calculator. I don't have the January Apps on it either - just no need for them...

But I'm no expert in Jailbreaking scene, so someone else could help you...

zainjetha

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
with SDK coming soon i would wait a month or two and you can get it installed and other cool applications bundled in. iPod touch would be great for a student but just get an iPhone and jailbreak and have your phone built in - its a perfect phone without a warranty...

Koreos

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2008
with SDK coming soon i would wait a month or two and you can get it installed and other cool applications bundled in. iPod touch would be great for a student but just get an iPhone and jailbreak and have your phone built in - its a perfect phone without a warranty...

I would do that, but the iPhone plan is too expensive for me...

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
I think it would be great and am trying to pic up one myself. We get all our lectures in iPod and iPhone video format so it will save me carrying around my powerbook all the time. I've taken to just using an 8gig USB drive to carry my req'd files as I have easy access to university computers. But a touch to watch lectures whilst on transport/in the library whilst studying would be great.

Also remember there is iTunes University which has a great selection of both lectures in audio and in video format which are great as a supplement to your coursework as well as a great resource for extra-curricular interest.

Koreos

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2008
You can unlock it and use any plan you like :)

I see! interesting, might do that. I have one question though...
If I buy an iPhone and unlock/Jailbreak it, will I be able to use a "Pay as you go" sim? what about the data service?

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
I use my touch for college too. Once you unlock it you can do just about all those things. I used mines to review over quizzes while eating breakfast and listening to music, notes, etc...

If only the alarm was louder...

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2004
Madison, WI
I use my iPod Touch all the time at school. It is one of my favorite tools. It lets me quickly look stuff up, add things to my calendar, play games during boring lectures:D all without having to pull out my MacBook Pro.

ref26

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
I use my iPod Touch all the time at school. It is one of my favorite tools. It lets me quickly look stuff up, add things to my calendar, play games during boring lectures:D all without having to pull out my MacBook Pro.

Agreed! (except regular MB instead of Pro hehe)

illidian

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
All the reasons given are good ones.

However, one that I haven't seen mentioned is using the school wi-fi to access the internet.

It can be a great tool. If you want it, you won't be making a mistake.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
All the reasons given are good ones.

However, one that I haven't seen mentioned is using the school wi-fi to access the internet.

It can be a great tool. If you want it, you won't be making a mistake.

If only my university had a WiFi...

applegoddess09

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2008
Superstar City
I bought my Touch while in college, and love it! I listen to the music all the time, esp. in my dorm when my roommate is in. As for the school's wi-fi, it doesn't work so well in the dorms but once I get out and move around, I can pick up a signal. Sometimes I get lucky and can connect in my dorm. But whenever I walk to class, I bought a Shuffle-something smaller and easier to put up with. Good luck with your choice though...

pcuser2

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2007
I am thinking of getting a 32GB ipod touch also, just havn't decided which to go.

zainjetha

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
as a student you need absolute minimal clutter, i suggest you get an iPhone... you can unlock it and use which ever sim u want in it, pay as you go whatever... I think it would make your life a lot easier just carrying one device around and i find my IPhone useful for watching lectures on the go....

DarkRevenant

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2008
I have a 16bg touch and honestly its one of the most amazing pieces of technology I own. I "jailbroke" it, allowing the installation of 3rd party apps. I check my mail whenever I want, surf the web, listen to music, and can even do some short writing assignments on it. I take it everywhere with me, and it gets great battery life. I couldn't be happier with it.

wannabe07

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2008
Portland, Oregon
I've got a 32 gig touch and I love it. I use it as a combination of a PDA and an iPod, so I have my whole calendar and assignments on there, plus email, contacts, and other stuff for class. And then I can listen to music, watch movies, or do whatever else on it. It's an awesome gadget.

I really considered buying an iPhone but was in a similar situation as you. I pretty much would have had to unlock it to make the purchase even remotely feasible. However, I ended up deciding against it for these reasons:

I'm clumsy and I drop my phone. A lot. But I've never dropped my touch.

I like being able to get a new phone every few years without paying a huge fee.

I also REALLY like being able to use the network that I want without having to mess around with my phone.

Lastly, the iPhone just has too many shortcomings at this point for me to justify spending the money. Until they open it up to all carriers and improve data connectivity when wifi is not available, I'm not interested. The touch has everything I've wanted, so I'm really happy with it.

Jedi128

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2005
New York, NY
I recently bought an iPod touch while in college and it is great. The perfect compliment to a college student. It has nearly replaced my macbook pro as far as internet browsing and email on the go. It it very very useful all the time for between class checking of email, and whatnot. I was taking my old iPod to class anyways and now I have internet and everything else the touch offers with me everywhere. In my opinion college students will find the iPod touch a very useful tool.

Tork

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2006
Bought one for myself for college. $299 well spent -- profs send us emails, often with pdf's of study notes, all the time. And the ability to check wikipedia and other sites while studying, with just a few taps, is great.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
It's quite popular in American Universities and colleges, I know all of the local Universities in my area have wi-fi access on the entire campus.

There are a lot of colleges with WiFi for students. But, they seem to tend to use 802.1X for security. The current IPT doesn't support it, but I think the software coming in June might. Does anyone know this for a fact.

My own college uses 802.1X which makes me haul around my MBP when I want mobile Internet access.

zainjetha

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
OMG, people really get attached to their ipod touches... they are good PDAs.
However i hope they enable notes syncing.
If only it had a camera like iPhone...

But one thing which i hate is pple having to jailbreak them. why risk your warranty when you dont really have to when SDK is coming soon..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.