iPod Touch for photography

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by motlut, Jun 22, 2014.

1. motlut macrumors newbie

Hi. I saw that there was a similar thread, but i thought that i might just start a new one since the other one didn't quite answer my questions.

Okey, so i have a DSLR that i use a lot. But i want something smaller that you can have with you wherever you go, with the function to share the images to social medias and also edit the photos. That's why I'm thinking about buying an iPod.

I have a phone that is alright, but the camera sucks. And i don't want to put tons of money on a new phone. That's why the iPod would be a perfect complement to my DSLR. I have read a lot of reviews online, and everyone seems to have different opinions about the iPods camera.

So, what do you guys that own a iPod Touch 5G think about the camera? Regardless of what's on the paper, how does it preform when push come to shove? Is it good enough to use as an option when the DSLR isn't available? Which iPhone model would you compare it to? Feel free to upload photos taken with your iPods! Thank you :)

2. St.Icon macrumors newbie

The 5G iPod Touch uses the same camera that's in the iPhone 4, and now in the iPad Air and Minis.

It's a solid performer, though it's not going to compete with your DSLR.

That being said, used in conjunction with apps like Instagram, Hipstamatic, and Litely? You can get solid results. I've taken several on my iPads that are most definitely print worthy - and this is coming from a photographer that sells prints.

I'd recommend it, but if you're already spending $300 on the Touch, it might be worth it to upgrade your phone to a 5S, even at full price. That way you're killing two birds with one stone.

3. theapplefanboyj macrumors 6502a

They'd come out perfect I have my iPod Touch but I don't use it much but im hoping to change that soon. I loved the front camera on it compared to my iPhone 4s

4. motlut thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your answer, just what I was looking for!
    I will think over upgrading to the 5s, but at the moment I think I will go with the iPod. Thanks!

5. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

iPod touch camera wouldn't even compare to a dslr.

6. motlut thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your answer. How is the rear camera compared to the 4s?

7. theapplefanboyj macrumors 6502a

I find photos to be brighter on the iPod, and also the iPod's larger screen means you can see a better view of an image. Plus, with all the photo editing apps, you're pretty much set. I still recommend to get a 5c or a 5s though.

----------

He knows that.

8. motlut thread starter macrumors newbie

[/COLOR]

9. theapplefanboyj macrumors 6502a

10. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

Also keep in mind the iPod touch needs wifi to connect to the internet. You may not have access to wifi when out and about and won't be able to post the pictures. One more reason to justify spending the money on a phone instead.

11. VI™ macrumors 6502a

It's great for sharing photos but mediocre if quality is your goal. If you want portable, you're better off with something like a high end P&S or a mirrorless camera. I just sold an Olympus E-P3 with lens for $300 and that would blow away an iPod for photography any day of the week.

The only reason I reccomend that over just staying with an iPod is that even if you want to share, you have to find an internet connections, so it's almost as much of a hassle as messing with transferring files to a computer and uploading them because of the quality.

Now if you were going for a phone with a good built in camera, than that's different, but either way the tiny camera of an iPod of phone will net you grainy photos any time the conditions are less than perfect because of the sensor size and how that works in correlation to high ISO shots.

12. motlut thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. You have some good points that I'll keep in mind! But since I probably will keep my phone with me (in the bag or something) I might as well use it as a WiFi hotspot. That way I will always have internet connection on my iPod!

----------

I was planning to use my phone as a WiFi hotspot since I have a good data plan! But thanks for your answer!

13. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

How good the iPod's camera will work will depend on what you're shooting to begin with.

I would just get a smaller camera. Just about every photography related blog will tell you that. There's a lot of nice photography apps for the iPod, but you're going to have to deal with only being able to use it on wifi hotspots like someone said.

EDIT: Since you can use your phone as a wifi hotspot... I repeat, that maybe just a smaller camera will be better for you. You can get a cable, or just stick the SD card in your phone to transfer stuff to social sites.

14. motlut thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your answer! As i said, i already have a good camera (DSLR) and don't want to have another camera, not even a smaller one. And I'm planning to use my phone as a hotspot since I'm always carrying it anyways.

Don't get me wrong, i really appreciate all your thoughts about how ever it's better to buy a phone or camera. But i would also appreciate comments about the camera quality about the iPod since I feel that the iPod is a good solution. Thank you!

----------

I also just want to say that I'm not asking for the iPods camera to replace or compete against a DSLR or other camera. But i want to have something that is easy to carry around, but still takes decent photos that you proudly can share to friends on inatagram or facebook. Of course these photos can't compare to a 300$ camera, but that's not what I'm asking for. But at the same time I want it to take good photos rather than bad.

Thanks one more time for all help I have gotten so far! I truly appreciate it!

15. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Oh it definitely has a really nice camera, and you'll get some great shots from it. iOS 8 is bringing full access to the camera settings, so you'll benefit from those in upcoming apps once it ships.

Get yourself a case, even if it's just a clear one. The camera will protrude otherwise, and that's really the only issue with it in general.

16. motlut thread starter macrumors newbie

I will keep your opinions in mind, and maybe I will get an second camera in the future. But for now I think the iPod is a good choice. Then I can have my DSLR for serious photographing, and (as you said) share the photos through my phone, and use the iPod for everyday photographing! Thanks again for all the help! It have been to a lot of help!

17. St.Icon macrumors newbie

A lot of knocking is going on over a camera that really isn't meant to be "pro" level. OP knows it isn't, and so does everyone else here.

For what the OP wants, the iPod touch will work well. An iPhone would work better, but hey - an iPhone is $550+ out of contract.

As someone who shoots professionally and sells prints, I can say that some of my photos have been taken on iPhone 4, 5, and 5C - as well as a couple that were from an iPad Mini. You can say that they're "not good enough", but in actuality? If you know what you're doing and how to shoot, you're going to get good results. You just can't expect it to perform in some conditions.

18. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I've used DSLRs for over 10 years now, and I have a iPod Touch 5G, and a high end point-and-shoot purchased for when I don't want to haul the DSLR gear.

The iPod camera (the rear camera) does fine for "snap-shots" where the intended destination is social media sites or email attachments. It's shortcomings are many:

1. You can't see the display in sunlight, so end up shooting "blind".
    2. Poor low light performance and abysmal flash.
    3. Lens flare, distortion.
    4. Hard to hold.

It sure wins for convenience, but I'm certainly not getting rid of my DSLR or point-and-shoot. I wouldn't buy the iPod Touch just for photography. Mine is primarily my PDA and podcast player.

19. motlut, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014

motlut thread starter macrumors newbie

You have a lot of good points, thank you. Can i just ask how you think the camera is compared to other iPhones you have used? I had a iPhone 4s a while back, which i enjoyed shooting with at times when the DSLR wasn't with me. If the iPods camera is comparable to the 4s, I'm more than happy.

----------

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I just want to point out that I'm not either getting rid of my DSLR. As i said, the iPod isn't meant to be a substitute, but rather a complement :)

20. motlut, Jun 23, 2014

Since i had a iPhone 4s before, how do you guys think the iPods camera is compared to the iPhone 4s? That'll maybe give me an idea of what the iPod's camera is like! :)

EDIT: I know it has the same resolution as the iPhone 4. But how i the camera quality and stuff like that compared to the 4s?

21. motlut, Jun 23, 2014

22. St.Icon macrumors newbie

It's similar. The 4S is a tad better, but really not all that noticeable beyond the size difference.

Now, compared to the iPhone 5/5C/5S, the difference is much greater. If the 4S was decent for you, I'd say you'd probably be happy with the touch.

23. motlut thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for all the help! :)

24. St.Icon macrumors newbie

No problem. Like I said above - if you can swing an iPhone, do so and grab a 5S. If not? The Touch should fit the bill.

25. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

I couldn't agree more. If you know what you're doing and are equipped with some degree of talent you will obtain superb results. What is "pro" quality anyway? Most of the cameras that were used to make the iconic images found in Life magazine 60-70 years ago can be had for for five dollars in most pawn shops or thrift stores. So was it the camera or the talent behind the lens? You can spend $50,000 and more on a Hasselblad system but if you don't know what your doing it becomes a massive paper weight.