iPod Touch GPS add-on???

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by moomac, Oct 15, 2008.

1. moomac macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if any GPS company out there is about to release GPS add-on (or receiver) for iPod Touch or iPhone? From quick Googling, I only found some rumors of beta-testing and what not, newest one posted in April 2008.

I'm craving for an iPod Touch but my husband is not letting me buy one unless Touch has promised GPS capability :( Please help me out here!

2. YodaEXE macrumors member

Smack him around a bit and then go out and buy one. Put him in his place. :D

3. moomac thread starter macrumors newbie

haha. He's a hard-core PC, unfortunately. He doesn't get the great engineering of Apple :(

Anyhow, I personally would like an option of GPS on iPod Touch. Anyone with any updates/rumors???

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

at this point in time, gps on a touch would be worthless as when you need it is when you are not in wifi most of time. right now you need internet to get maps for gps

the only way that is possible right now is with a data plan. so unless apple offers a map package that is preloaded, gps will not be integrated into an ipod touch

5. Mechanicus macrumors member

I believe there is an App that will save your directions to the Touch so you can have them on the touch when you're off wifi.

6. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

yes, its called Maps

7. YodaEXE macrumors member

Hey, what's wrong with that? I use Windows and much prefer it over OS X. Also a Mac IS A PC. Goodness sake people. :p PC stands for Personal Computer. What the heck is your Mac if it's not a PC? A toilet seat?

8. moomac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for responses :)
    I was thinking about preloaded map package (of nearby area, depending on the resolution of course) and a satellite signal communicator add-on (much like radio transmitter that you hook up to an iPod) combination for iPod Touch to be a GPS-equivalent without Wi-Fi. Or the add-on may have an integrated flash-drive for storing map source. I think it's possible... or am I stupid? Is anyone making something like this?

9. ardesigns macrumors member

10. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

no an EC (expensive computer)

11. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

I dunno if there's a market for one- if there is it'd have to be very cheap. Standalone Sat-Navs are so cheap now developing one to accompany what is essentially a media player maybe not at the front of peoples minds :)

I may be wrong and no doubt time will prove it so.
    Anyways, I'm not allowed a SatNav. I was looking at them in a motor store once and my Dad grabbed me by the collar (no mean feat- I'm miles bigger than he is!) and said "You don't need that crap. You've got a brain and an A to Z!" :D

12. peteo macrumors regular

13. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

maybe we won't see like an actual GPS receiver in the ipod touch for many generations to come, but as stated ^^^^^^above, some companies are making GPS Plug-ins so you attach it under the ipod touch and the receiver works as a GPS chip.

14. jmelick07 macrumors member

Ipod gps case

does anyone know who makes that case with the GPS? if thats anything around $100 i will have to have that... GPS>camera

15. peteo macrumors regular

The wired article says its made by dual electronics, thought I cant find any info about it on their web site. I sent them and email. will post of I get any thing back

16. peteo macrumors regular

17. iRawkMac macrumors newbie

iRawkMac

Personally, I would love if they made the iPod Touch into a netbook type computer. Basically an iPhone without the phone capability. You can always Skype it for a phone if needed but I just want to be able to use the internet whenever I want. I don't need a phone. I would be all over an iPod Touch data package type deal if it ever happens. Woo!! Come on GSM chip for iPod Touch!

18. Creative One macrumors 6502

Creative One

I recall a company releasing a add on via dock connector that was a GPS back in march. . . I cannot remember the name of it, but will post back when I find it.

19. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

If the rumours are correct, there's going to be a 3G chip in an upcoming Apple tablet device. The tablet is supposedly going to be based on the same software framework as the iPhone/iPod touch OS, but with a bigger screen. Supposedly, there's going to be the option to work with either HSPA (3G GSM) or EV-DO (3G CDMA).

Granted, it wouldn't be a replacement for a 3G-connected iPod touch: the form factor would be larger, probably closer to the size of a netbook rather than a PDA.

20. NOSintake macrumors member

$180? Geez...you might as well get a real GPS for that price. This product does look promising, but that price point is a stinger

21. old-wiz macrumors G3

For $180 you can get a excellent GPS! And it will come with whatever you need to charge it in the car, have voice directions, and maps and it will work.

22. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Wow, that looks like quite the product. What I don't get is how it manages to work with ALL GPS-aware apps from the App Store, and not just the one that the manufacturer had written for it! (I wonder if the claim is actually true.)

Surely it won't also work with the built-in Google Maps app, such that it works like the iPhone 3G's does...? That would be something.

In the meantime, I'm fairly confident that I read that the latest version of TomTom from the App Store will work with an iPod Touch docked on the TomTom docking station, which is already available for purchase and has a built-in GPS receiver.

-- Nathan

23. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

It may not be as far-fetched as you think. The Core Location API is responsible for collecting all the available geolocation data sources, comparing them to determine which of them has the best fix on your position, and then transparently forwarding the most reliable information to any App that requests it.

If any accessory maker comes up with a new method of geolocation, and has Apple's permission to plug in to Core Location's back-end as an alternative data source, then every Core Location-based App on the iPod touch or iPhone would automatically be able to make use of that new data source without the need to modify the App at all.

24. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

I know it's a dated post, but now someone has got the official apple certification process done, and released and add on GPS dongle yesterday. It's available for purchase on amazon now.

http://bad-elf.com/products/gps/

25. Manikstor macrumors member

that looks pretty cool, do you have to always be connected to a wifi?
    and can it work with any gps app in the app store or just the elf app?