iPod Touch: How do YOU scratch YOURS?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Cloudane, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Cloudane macrumors 65816

Cloudane

The back of course, unless anyone's managed to scratch the glass front :rolleyes:

No idea how but mine's already acquired a scuff mark and a few light scratches and I've been incredibly careful and kept it in a (PDA) case too. Think it must've got them from very carefully and gently placing it on the desk without some kind of microfiber mat to protect it :rolleyes: So yeah they're incredibly easy to scratch - if you want yours to stay spotless you'd better not put it down, or at least keep it in a case and never take it out. How did yours acquire its wounds?

2. bliks macrumors member

actually I somehow have a scratch on my glass screen... a few actually, nothing deep, just like little itty scrathces... Unno how they got there and unno how to get rid of em :(

3. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

i kept my Touch in perfect condition for a whole week after i got it

then i had to go to hospital...when i woke up, it was scratched to hell:(

at least now i'm not worried about scratching it:p

4. willyu macrumors newbie

i stopped caring after putting my ipod in a nice soft sock-like bag all week but still managed to catch a lot of scratch on the back.

the back is basically a finger print and scratch magnet...

5. Vikinguy macrumors 6502

I honestly think cotton could scratch this thing. I've so careful it's ridiculous, and it still has a couple of little gashes.

6. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Honestly, apple must use the cheapest chrome in the world. The chrome is why I dont get iPods: I hate having devices that look old, crappy and used up. I mean its not that its hard to scratch, as you guys are saying, you put it down on a table or even hold it in your hand, and the thing gets scratched.

I bet a strong breeze could scratch that chrome.

7. Lara F macrumors 6502a

Until I get a case, I'm keeping mine in its original wrapping. I just cut out an opening for the headphone and USB cord. Easy enough and the screen's still very viewable. :)

8. derryquinn macrumors 6502

derryquinn

The reasoning is so that you want to buy a new iPodwhen it look old, so they sell more.:D:D:D:apple::D:apple::apple::apple::apple::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:apple::apple::apple::apple:

9. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

The back of my Nano used to scratch from just sliding it in and out of an iPod sock. I had it for 2 weeks and it looks like someone took sandpaper and steel wool to it.

10. SpikeX macrumors member

I didn't protect mine when I got it because I knew how scratched it would get. Now... well, it's scratched to hell. Heh. :D I don't care though, it's the front that counts, not the back. :)

11. Cloudane thread starter macrumors 65816

Cloudane

Until you try to sell it on eBay :D But then I still have my (very battered) 3G iPod - why sell it, it'd go for like £10 even if it was brand new. I just still have this "you might want to sell it one day" instinct. The same one that clutters up my room with empty boxes.

It's exactly as I thought anyway by the sound of it - you only have to *look* at the thing and it scratches itself like a dog with chronic fleas.

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

13. Shanesan macrumors 6502

Shanesan

Completely agree. I don't even look at the back. After it gets scratched to hell I'll give it the old "brushed metal" look.

14. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

The back getting scratched up is more of an issue if you upgrade frequently and plan on selling your iPod within a year or so to someone else.

Also, the back is not only shiny, it's very slippery.

I just installed the BSE skin to the back of the touch and it solved both problems. The film gives the back a slightly tacky feel that prevents it from sliding around and makes it less likely that it will slip out of your fingers and plummet to a concrete death. With it on the back also looks damn near perfect (couple of tiny air bubbles, but, so what).

I have previously used the Invisible Shield and got similar results but I have to say that I'm really impressed with the quality of the film and accuracy of the cut on this new iTouch skin from BSE it fits perfectly. Even my wife who doesn't notice such things said "wow, that skin thing you put on your iPod looks and fits great".

15. Cloudane thread starter macrumors 65816

Cloudane

I'm not entirely sure giving it Mad Cow Disease will help!

16. verrater macrumors newbie

17. Cloudane thread starter macrumors 65816

Cloudane

18. aft macrumors regular

agreed...it is a little annoying that it scratches so easily, but I don't watch my video content on the back so I just started out not worrying about.

19. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

Mine was all scratched to hell the second day I got it. But I do check mine almost hourly to make sure the front isn't scratched up.

20. Kyro macrumors newbie

I think apple built in an auto-scratch mechanism so no matter how carefully you treat it, it will scratch therefore decreasing its resale value. Dam you Steve!

21. ahmed.hassan macrumors member

I've done the same thing as you, Lara! I felt like such a geek whilst I marked out the parts I was going to cut! Definitely worth the effort though.

22. lamerlizer macrumors regular

lamerlizer

i've never used a screen protector or any case since day one, except for an ipod sock, and it only has one hairline scratch :) its not THAT bad in my opinion. of course i would prefer something more scratch resistant like the iphone's back

23. hungwai macrumors newbie

I got my 32GB touch today, when I put it in the dock, I didn't insert correctly (the connector is a bit behind the touch), then I got some scratch in near the dock connector :(

24. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Wow. Do you all have seat covers, too? In case you get the nerve to take the car out of the garage? Who are you saving it for?
    I never considered a case for my Touch. It's scratched all to hell and back, both sides, but the scratches don't affect the way it works. I'm not leaving a dead-batteried, perfect-looking iPod Touch to my next of kin (or somebody on eBay).

25. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

I put a skin on mine the day after I got it so only a couple of nicks near the doc connector. But on my first gen. car keys raised hell with my iPod touch when they were together in my pocket. Dumb me.