ipod touch internals inside an iphone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by vicskimmer, Sep 26, 2010.

1. vicskimmer macrumors newbie

So heres the deal.

I have 1 water damaged iphone 16gb 3g and 1 working ipod touch 8gb 2gen.

My touch is jailbroken and is great, but it'd be nice to be able to make calls without wifi.

Is it possible to swap my touch internals in for the non-working iphone internals, while keeping (and linking) the 3g capabilities to the touch hardware?

Pretty much im trying to get around replacing the iphone internals. I know I might be going a far-fetched here, but I was just curious. I use my jailbroken touch pretty much as a phone now, but I have this broken iphone just sitting here and I figured it might work.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Anything is possible.

Good luck somehow putting the SIM tray, and all of those antennas and microphones into the iPod though.:eek:

3. vicskimmer thread starter macrumors newbie

well that was my first idea was putting everything into the ipod case, but because it's so slim, I figured I'd just put everything from the ipod into the bigger iphone case.

I wasn't sure if anyone's even done this before. thats why I was asking:confused:

4. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

Guess you would need to invest in a dremel! Best of luck!

5. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

I very much doubt this is possible. The motherboards will be different and it's not like the iPod Touch motherboard is 'ready' just to hook on a cellular data chip. Also the firmware bootloader and firmware won't acknowledge the existence of a radio chip.

6. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I did it, and I love it. Dremel is a great tool for all kinds of things!

7. vicskimmer thread starter macrumors newbie

maybe i'll just look into this as a side project or something.

looks like I'll just fix the iphone and call it a day :p

thanks for the help

8. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

U better get yourself some detailed schematics, a sodering iron, a opener tool, maby some years a engineer and learning how to program. But I think if u can check off those things it will take u a couple of days. But in all seriousness that is a great idea but I don't think it will happen