iPod touch is the worst iPod ever

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Oats, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Oats macrumors regular

Yes, I know, I overstate. iPod touch is a great device - I love the apps. Love the Wifi. But for music/audio (which should be a strong point for any iPod right?), I get consistently annoyed by a few shortcomings. Anyone else?

1) MP3 files encoded with VBR (variable bit rate) often get cut off at the end - if I listen to a 60 minute audio file, sometimes up to the last 3-4 minutes can be clipped. I have noticed this with all my previous iPods, but come on, it's time to fix this.

2) Long song titles do not scroll. They are displayed as "This is a long aud...". Previous iPods would scroll the long title, so I would know what I am listening to, in particular, so that I can tell the difference between "This is a long audio title (part 1)" and "This is a long audio title (part 2)". Scroll the long titles!!

3) There is no way to pause/play with the iPod in your pocket. Sometimes you need to pause quickly... no way to do this with the touch. Have to bring it out of your pocket, double-click the home button to bring up the music control, and touch the pause button. My idea would be triple click to pause/play. Maybe there is another way, but it needs to avoid the touchscreen.

These are my main gripes. Anyone else notice these things?

2. mzd macrumors 6502a

if you really need to pause quickly, you can always remove the headphone plug. that will pause the touch, as with all other newer iPods. alternatively you could get the headphones with the remote. Apple offers both $29 and the $79 in-ear versions.

3. atomheartmother macrumors regular

I can't speak for the first two comments, but I agree on the last one. I have not being able to pause/play/stop audio without first hitting the home button, then sliding to unlock and then pressing the correct location on the touch screen. It's a particular hassle when driving.

But I can live with it. Every other feature of the Touch far outweighs these minor grievances. I'd say it's definitely the BEST iPod ever. Sure, it's not the best music player, but it's essentially a mini computer that plays music.

4. Oats thread starter macrumors regular

this is surprisingly difficult to do with just one hand while the iPod is in your pocket. i might have to look into buying some new earphones with the pause button.

5. Wiska macrumors member

You can double-tap the Home button, and then press Pause.

6. AlphaTeam macrumors regular

AlphaTeam

I'm also in the "I like it but..." camp.
    I would love a virtual click wheel. Fast forwarding sucks. The double arrows, go to slow and the time slider bar makes it hard to find a particular spot to stop at. Oh also, The show notes in a podcast don't show up unless you manually copy them to the lyrics section.

7. Oats thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I was this close -> <- to mentioning how the fast forward / rewind sucks. If you think FF is slow, rewind is twice as slow.

8. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

i have the remote, but i just tried and its actually pretty easy.

9. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

I'm surprised a virtual click wheel hasn't shown up on the app store yet. Maybe this is your chance to make one and get rich? :D

10. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

I second this. Too, too many goods out weigh the few bads (annoyances).

11. chadamorrill macrumors 6502

Can you just hold the volume rocker down? Am I missing something?

12. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Some of us have the original touch without a volume rocker ;)

13. chadamorrill macrumors 6502

Good gracious... did I actually type that?! My bad. Wrong forum ;)

14. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

The ipod has worse audio qaulity than my zune. Thats about it. I don't really find anything annoying on the ipod touch. Its hands down, the best electronic i have ever bought.

15. Chris14 macrumors regular

Chris14

Whaaaaaat?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that audio quality is mostly due to the quality of the audio files themselves. The player has little impact on audio quality. Buy a nice pair of headphones (NOT the Apple ones!) and encode your music above 256kbps and say that again.

16. Oats thread starter macrumors regular

turning down the volume does not pause the player.... unless i am missing something?

17. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

press the home button twice, and music player controls should be displayed under the time. forward, reverse, pause/stop, and volume controls specifically.

18. nohite macrumors member

in iTunes for each song you can set the starting and stopping points. Make sure the stopping point of the song in question is the same as the length of the song. Right click on the selected song and click "get Info". then go to Options.

19. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Those work only with the new version Touch, right?

One of my peeves is that when scrolling the list of songs with the music playing I can't avoid clicking on and switching to another song. Is there a way to scroll the song list without accidentally clicking on one of the titles?

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You dont have to go through all those steps (swiping) simply double click the home button and hit pause on the little menu.

21. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

1. You can specify the beginning and end to a song in iTunes to force the iPod Touch to play the entire song.

2. I agree I'm not sure why Apple cant scroll the titles to long songs on the Touch.

3. That's the idea I'm sure Apple offers a set of headphones with a button to play pause. Makes Apple some more money I'm sure by offering the functionality but offering addons instead.

22. cash4chaos macrumors member

cash4chaos

Love the Touch

Ipod touch is the new mac mini :p:apple:

23. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

This thread title is the worst thread title ever.

...?

24. Punk72 macrumors newbie

Punk72

Ummm why would you need to pause for any way? can't you just take one or both of you earphones out ?? as for the rest of your complaints :confused:

25. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

go find something that you wont complain about then?