Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fab5freddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 21, 2007
Heaven or Hell
i am about to get an iPod Touch, but am wondering if i am going to regret
not getting an iPhone...? i want to be able to browse the web,
and can probably do with the built in WiFi in the Touch, but just wanted
to hear from people that think that the iPhone would be a million times better
than getting the Touch........
I have Verizon at the moment and don't really want to switch right now....

thanks for any help...!

razorianfly

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom
The iPod touch is an iPhone without the phone. Now that the iPod touch has the 'January Software Upgrade' pre-installed on every model bought after the 15th Jan 08. If not, it's $20 for all that functionality!

Personally, I think, if you have a phone already, don't give Apple the satisfaction of buying the iPhone, providing your happy with your current phone and plan that is tied to that phone. The iPhone has quite a huge price-tag (at the moment) with the contract included into the pirce. Long term your looking at spending well over $800+. With iPod touch it's a one-off charge (excluding future chargeable software updates) which ever model you choose to buy -- and you get to use Wifi, and Safari, free! - without being tied to data plans!

If your intensions are to 'jail-break' the device however, then it's a tie between the two.

Each have Pro's and Con's for example;

The iPhone is slightly thicker than the iPod touch (a wafer-thin 8mm), iPhone has EDGE for internet access everywhere whereas iPod touch doesn't etc etc ..

Each out weigh each other as far as features/aesthetics go.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to personal preference.

- What do you what the device to be able to do, for you?
- How much are you willing to spend on this device?
- What do you prefer the device to look and feel like?
- Do aesthetics come before functionality for you, or is it the other way around?
- Do you wish to be tied to data plans, or not?
- Are you, willing to pay a (possible) fee regarding future software updates, for extra functionality? (iPod touch)
- Do you want to use iTunes to manage my phone?

... these are all questions you have to ask and answer, yourself.

Opinion of a very content iPod touch 16Gb (un-jailbroken) owner.

R-Fly

Gogh Apple

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2008
Definitely the iPhone

1. Camera
2. Microphone

even if you do not use the phone function part it is well worth the extra $100 to have a super device.

Sweetbike40

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2007
NY/NJ
Although i LOVE my iPod Touch..... I'd get the iPhone. It's all in one. That being said... i think the design of the Touch is nicer and that is why i'm going to hold out for V2, whenever that will be, i don't know.

PMB

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2007
New York
Personally, i would get an iphone, but the knowledge that it is impossible to brick an iPt is nice, though i heard that upgrading to 1.1.3 unbricks iphiones

Personally, i would get an iphone.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
Demand for the iTouch is high, buy it (32Gb) for now then sell it when the new iPhone comes out with all its possible various improvments EG Bigger memory, better camera etc...

dickovski

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2007
Norwich, UK
I had an 8gb iPhone and now have a 32gb Touch. I'd swap it for a 16gb iPhone if I could as it has built in speaker, microphone & camera plus volume controls on the side (I get pissed off having to get the Touch out of my pocket to adjust volume). Plus the iPhone comes with more accessories like the dock and usb wall plug thingy.

The only pros for the Touch for me is the extra memory you get for the price - still a great piece of kit mind - just not as good as the iPhone.

However I would have to jailbreak the iPhone as I can't afford the contract whereas the Touch I haven't had to jailbreak. My view might change when the SDK comes out though, which is why I haven't done it yet.

eplchamps0304

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
I had an 8gb iPhone and now have a 32gb Touch. I'd swap it for a 16gb iPhone if I could as it has built in speaker, microphone & camera plus volume controls on the side (I get pissed off having to get the Touch out of my pocket to adjust volume). Plus the iPhone comes with more accessories like the dock and usb wall plug thingy.

The only pros for the Touch for me is the extra memory you get for the price - still a great piece of kit mind - just not as good as the iPhone.

However I would have to jailbreak the iPhone as I can't afford the contract whereas the Touch I haven't had to jailbreak. My view might change when the SDK comes out though, which is why I haven't done it yet.

can't afford the contract? Isn't it just 60 bucks a month?

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I don't use my phone often enough to justify switching to an iPhone. My iPod however, I use constantly.

I have a 32gb Touch and am happy with that. I can't go on the net everywhere, but I'm also not paying monthly fees.

I prefer having the iPod and then a cheap pay-as-you-go phone.

YuriVoorhak

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
I was kinda torn on this myself, and while I didn't like the idea of being tied to a data plan, what it really came down to was this: There are places and situations where I need my phone, but where taking a relatively pricey and uberslick gadget would not be the greatest idea. Pub crawling, hiking, unsavory parts of town... etc

I won't be heartbroken if anything happens to my razr, the same simply can't be said for my iPt.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
iPhone is the better buy. For $100 more, you get a camera, speakers, microphone, hardware volume control buttons, bluetooth, a brushed back (you could brush the iPod, but it's a pain), a dock, and an AC charger. Additionally, they're not gonna charge you for software updates in the future. You don't have to pay for service if you don't want to, just make it think that it's activated and you're good to go.

Sweetbike40

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2007
NY/NJ
I was kinda torn on this myself, and while I didn't like the idea of being tied to a data plan, what it really came down to was this: There are places and situations where I need my phone, but where taking a relatively pricey and uberslick gadget would not be the greatest idea. Pub crawling, hiking, unsavory parts of town... etc

I won't be heartbroken if anything happens to my razr, the same simply can't be said for my iPt.

These are the same reasons i haven't bought the phone. But as time goes on i realize how much i'd enjoy and need the phone (access to the internet wherever i am). I'm just going to wait for the next version of it.

MacGeek7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2007
Definitely the iPhone

1. Camera
2. Microphone

even if you do not use the phone function part it is well worth the extra $100 to have a super device.

3. Speaker
4. Phone
5. AT&T coverage (some might argue that that is a disadvantage)

tsice19

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
Only get an iPod touch if you have a current cell phone service that will cost a lot to cancel. IT would have cost me about $200.00 just to cancel and get an iPhone... so I got an iPod touch. Someone told me just not to pay the bill and they would automatically cancel it but I wouldn't try that.

pismodude2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
MacWorld
The iPod touch is an iPhone without the phone. Now that the iPod touch has the 'January Software Upgrade' pre-installed on every model bought after the 15th Jan 08. If not, it's $20 for all that functionality!

Personally, I think, if you have a phone already, don't give Apple the satisfaction of buying the iPhone, providing your happy with your current phone and plan that is tied to that phone. The iPhone has quite a huge price-tag (at the moment) with the contract included into the pirce. Long term your looking at spending well over $800+. With iPod touch it's a one-off charge (excluding future chargeable software updates) which ever model you choose to buy -- and you get to use Wifi, and Safari, free! - without being tied to data plans!

If your intensions are to 'jail-break' the device however, then it's a tie between the two.

Each have Pro's and Con's for example;

The iPhone is slightly thicker than the iPod touch (a wafer-thin 8mm), iPhone has EDGE for internet access everywhere whereas iPod touch doesn't etc etc ..

Each out weigh each other as far as features/aesthetics go.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to personal preference.

- What do you what the device to be able to do, for you?
- How much are you willing to spend on this device?
- What do you prefer the device to look and feel like?
- Do aesthetics come before functionality for you, or is it the other way around?
- Do you wish to be tied to data plans, or not?
- Are you, willing to pay a (possible) fee regarding future software updates, for extra functionality? (iPod touch)
- Do you want to use iTunes to manage my phone?

... these are all questions you have to ask and answer, yourself.

Opinion of a very content iPod touch 16Gb (un-jailbroken) owner.

R-Fly

Mostly true minus the "If your intensions are to 'jail-break' the device however, then it's a tie between the two."

THE IPHONE HAS BLUETOOTH, A SPEAKER, A CAMERA, A MICROPHONE, AND 40% BETTER BATTERY LIFE, AND COMES WITH A DOCK AND AC CHARGER (THE TOUCH DOESN'T). You call that a tie?:eek:

Jin666

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2008
I would go for the Touch.

At current, I've got an 8GB Jailbroken Touch and I love it. In terms of the phone functionality, I couldn't justify the price. For my camera (which is of high quality), calls and texts, I have a Samsung D600 on a pay as you go tarrif. With a phone that small it really makes no difference having 2 devices with you rather than 1.

As I said, I'd go for the Touch, but if you can justify the price, you choose the iPhone.

;):apple:

kaenai

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
can't afford the contract? Isn't it just 60 bucks a month?
LOL - it always amazes me how some folks throw the word 'just' around. it's one thing to save up for a while to buy something at a one-time fee, but for some folks, that $60 would be the difference between whether or not they eat for the month. :(

i'm not in that position now, but I have been, and I'm always mindful of my dollars at this point.

that said, if I had the option, I'd get the iPhone. i'm still under contract with T-Mobile, but many a time I'm in the car (passenger, of course) wishing I could be online with my otherwise perfectly snazzy iPod touch.

pazreal

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2007
Salt Lake City, UT
Yeah I'd go iPhone as well. I bought an IPT right when they were announced not knowing that they did not support 802.1x and since I spend like 80% of my time at school which is 802.1x I got screwed. The EDGE would have me covered there and then wi-fi would be fine at my apt and coffee shop. I figure the IPT will be my transition piece until a 3G iPhone hits or I find a 4gb refurb to cover me until 3g.

dizzlemizzle

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2008
i have a touch and really wish i would have just gotten an iphone.
i love my touch and use it everyday but it would be nice to be able to hop on safari or check mail without having to be near a wifi hotspot. i would just use edge, despite how slow it may be. the 3G iphone may be the perfect purchase for me coming up.

Macjames

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Yorkshire, England
I have a touch (here in uk) and i find it hard to find free wifi spots outside, unless i go to a bar offering it (though this is not a disadvantage by any means). I love it, especially calendar and maps and use it every day. I had always planned to get a 3g iPhone so i am happy to use this in the meantime. If you really want to browse the web anywhere then the iPhone is for you although i would recommend you hold on until the 3g's arrive.

jbarr

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
It probably will come down to balancing cost against the features you need/want.

In the USA, the phone service commitment starts at $1,400.00 total for 2 years. Add to that the cost of the phone of $399, and it means that over 2 years, your iPhone will cost you $1,839.00. Compared to the iPod Touch for about $300, that's a big difference. Of course, with the iPhone, you have Internet access almost anywhere while the iPod Touch is more limited, so it really comes down to what you need/want to do with it. I personally don't travel much, and the places I do frequent tend to have WiFi access, so I don't need the added cost of the iPhone. (Wow! I just realized that I could buy 6 8GB iPod Touches over 2 years and still come out ahead...hmmm.)

As a side note, one of the great things about a Jailbroken iPhone/iPod Touch is the ability to install "offline" content, so data like eBooks, .PDF files, or even Wikipedia articles can be all available offline wherever you are without needing to be connected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.