Ipod Touch refurbished question...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by 80sarcades, Mar 17, 2011.

1. 80sarcades macrumors newbie

Well, I ordered my wife one of the 3G refurb iPod Touches offered on Apple's website (the $199 one). She keeps a camera in her purse, so its kind of pointless ordering her the new one...and the price is nice too...

So here's the question: why would the refurb Touch come from China, of all places? There's nothing wrong with it, of course, but I'm just kind of curious since its not a 'new' one. You'd think they'd work on it here in the US and send it out from here, but I guess that's just me...

Any thoughts?

2. wordoflife, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2011

wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

China is where they are being manufactured or remanufactured.
    It will look exactly like a new iPod and it will come with a new battery, new casing and all new accessories :)

3. 80sarcades thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Um...I hate to say it, but maybe you should reread the original post. I know it's a refurb. I paid for a refurb. It works just fine and my wife doesn't know the difference. So I have no problems with the quality. My question was why it would come from China as a refurb. I guess the cost to redo it is cheaper there, but it was still a surprise when I saw the Fedex tracking. So that's why I asked.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I assume they do it in China because that is where they are manufactured, so they have all the parts there which makes it easy to swap the stuff that needs replacing.

5. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

New battery & case

Since the refurbs come with a brand new battery and shell, they are sent to china for remanufacturing. Its cheaper for apple to ship them directly from there then to have em take up space in a warehouse in the US, I assume.

Same thing with my refurb iPad, I was really impressed with how fast it got here from there though, ordered it a 4pm on a friday and it was at my door by the next Monday afternoon...