iPod Touch screen meltdown on the Emmys!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by zub3qin, Sep 16, 2007.

1. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Anyone just catch the nominees for comedy writers on the Emmys?

Each nominee 5 second video was shown on a PDA/Phone/iPod screen being held by a faceless hand.

The first nominee was being shown on an iPod Touch... and it was a dark scene... and I think you can guess the rest.

You could barely make out the picture!

Other nominees were on what appeared to be a Samsung blackjack, a Treo, a classic iPod and some other phone i didn't recognize. Those pictures were far better.

I hope they fix the screen problem soon!

2. TheBonk macrumors 6502

TheBonk

I saw the Touch, but didn't think of making note of the screen.

3. R3tard macrumors member

Not a real screen

Those were all overlays. If they were real, there would be no way you could make out the picture.

Just poor production. Or good production if it made people believe it was real!

4. ellsworth macrumors 6502a

I thought the same thing when I read this thread and automatically agreed that it's probably an overlay.. I just saw the nominee's piece on tv and it's definitely not an overlay. Watching the emmy's in HD, you see EVERYTHING... details and all. The old ipod (which was the last nominee) had a little decompression. The nominee after the first (the first was someone holding the ipod touch had the person's thumb reflecting off of the screen. (Yes, I know this can easily be post-produced but a super-imposed image/footage wouldn't have this/look this way. I work with graphics on a daily basis and can tell you that there wasn't any super imposing going on with this =) I'm pretty sure they forget to turn the brightness settings up.

5. --Wolf-- macrumors regular

Such a shame people are trying to make the screen issue(s) worse than they are.

6. colto macrumors regular

I know right? It's really not that bad. That or mine is a good unit as it looks just fine to me. ;)

7. cwc123188 macrumors regular

i thought it was an iphone but heck what do I know...

8. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

have you even seen an iPod Touch in person? Don't judge it until you have.

There are several reasons why the video looked crap. It could have been an overlay. The camera could have been crap. It could have been a bad environment, screwing the camera's recording up. The video sent to the TV stations could have been of bad quality. Your TV might not be able to show things as sharp as they actually are.

9. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D052; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

I have used 3 separate ipod touches... all had a lousy screen.

It wasn't a camera or tv problem. I watched in hidef...it wasn't an overlay. All the other screens (treo, ipod classic, blackjack) looked fine. It was just the ipod touch that was messed up.

I'm not looking for problems but I think there are a number of defective screens out there.

10. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

new info

This weekend I spoke to a guy whom works on LCD's and he told me he had heard how everyone was complaining about the ipod touch. What he said was that all LCD's start to suck when you turn their brightness all the way up. He said that it bleeds the deep blacks out, like everyone is experiencing.

He then put it up to his iphone and we compared the two (remember, this is a guy that works on LCD's every day). He said that the iphone had a better contrast setting and that it could be fixed if you could adjust the contrast. he also pointed out that his 24 inch apple cinema display does the same thing with improper LCD settings.

I honestly think that people are flippin out over there because one person had a bad screen and then everyone else started to think "Oh crap, what If I have a bad screen?!" and then the nitpicking olympics started.

Ive had mine for 4 days now and I do see the issue that is being pointed out, however, when I did the same picture on an iphone, it showed the same thing, so... you know, just whatever. If Apple wants it back Ill let them have it, otherwise, I'm not that upset

11. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

sometimes that is the case but with the screen issue NO it really is effecting "almost" all of them, did you see the picture i posted in my thread? how can you call that "filpping out because i read about a problem"

12. RCGMac macrumors regular

Do you have any real hard numbers that back up that 'almost' all of the screes have this issue? Mine is a great unit, no negative screen effect whatsoever. Everyone this weekend was very impressed with the quality, for a screen this size. I am not expecting it to have to similar quality when compared to my TV, but its damn good for a 3.5 inch screen.

If you have an issue with your screen, let Apple know, but don't go around spreading word that 'almost' all of the screens have this issue.

13. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

its about 9 in 10 i think this amounts to "almost all"

im willing to bet that every screen is like that and just not everyone has watched a scene in a movie that shows it

edit: to fix my reasoning i ment 9 in 10 not 1 in 10..1 in 10 are prolly good

14. RCGMac macrumors regular

10% if that is even right, is far from almost all. I have used all the links to test my screen and it is fine. So once again, it is not all the screens. There are other reports of units that are working just fine. We all know that most people who have working units are happily using their new toy with no knowledge of the issue. It is only when you have an issue when you start to search and find others that have the issue as well.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

This must be the definitive "Does Not Compute". :confused:

16. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

lol my bad 9 in 10

17. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

i ment 9 in 10 not 1 in 10

you cant use links to test the screen, it has to be a moving image, otherwise it just looks like the blacks are a little funny but nothing out of the ordinary, go find a youtube video that is dark and watch that you'll see what everyone is complaining about

18. RCGMac macrumors regular

Where are you getting these numbers!? I have yet to see any definitive proof that the number of incidents are that high. Once again I may be wrong, but until I see hard numbers on this I am more likely to believe it is closer to 5 or 10%. I am not denying that some people are having issues, but posting numbers pulled from the thin air is irresponsible.

19. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

20. RCGMac macrumors regular

Really, I think I know what I have tested. I have used the graident images, I have looked at YouTube videos and I have watched a few of the movies I have on my iPod, which have dark scenes or dark backgrounds, and guess what?! No issue.

If somebody does have an issue, let Apple know and let others know, but don't go around fearmongering, it does nobody any good.

21. RCGMac macrumors regular

That would work, but it is still a bit biased. Like I said, most people with working units are at home enjoying their new toy. The people on this board are either a) Mac fantics, that like to keep up with what is going on in the World of :apple: or b) people who have an issue, and are looking for help.

22. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

yeah i mentioned that in the poll i started, and i do realize that, but please understand something about me, im generally not one to compalin, i have a MBP, and as you may or may not be aware there is an issue with the LCDs (not all of them) where the bottom 1/3 is slightly yellow, mine has this but i can live with it its not that bad, but the issue with he touch makes the picture completly unviewable in dark movies here is a picture i posted to demo the issue on my personal touch http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4191519&postcount=5

23. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

i'd like you to think about something else too...

not too many people have these things yet, only the people on these and other boards who know they are available, and their friends and whoever, because they arent on display anywhere that ive seen, and the sheer number of people who have reported problems is what leads me to believe the failiure rate is between 80-90 percent

24. RCGMac macrumors regular

Wow, that is a terrible looking screen, and you should return it, that is UNACCEPTABLE. Please remember I was not attacking you personally, I was just pointing out that it isn't right to make up numbers about an issue. I never denied that there are some units that have this issue. I was only stating that I was lucky to have a good working unit.

BTW, what movie is that, I can't even make that out. I hope you get this issue sorted out, it is a beautiful device and I am sure you will get a lot of enjoyment out of it, once everything is cleared up.

25. RCGMac macrumors regular

According to some of the forums, some of the Apple Stores do have displays and I know the Best Buy in Mankato, MN, had a display model out at 8pm on Friday night, so they are out in some place.

Regardless of the final numbers, Apple will make this right, but it may take some time to figure out what the source of the problem is.