iPod Touch stolen at school, suggestions?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DudeMartin, Dec 19, 2010.

1. DudeMartin, Dec 19, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010

DudeMartin macrumors regular

Hey!

A week and a half ago, my iPod touch was stoled from my locker (which I could have sworn was locked... please don't tell me things like "your fault you didn't lock it properly" - it's hard to change out of your clothes, into your gym uniform, and double check everything within a short passing period time) and I MIGHT have an idea who it is but I don't want to go out and be the one pointing the finger.

Anyways, the iPod was stolen two Friday's ago. The same day, I went to the office and filled out a 'stolen item form' in hope that I would get it back. Nearly two weeks have passed without them contacting me in any form or even mentioning anything about my iPod. I am quickly losing hope of ever finding my iPod.

So, I am in a predicament right now;
    I really need my iPod because it helps me get through the day (it helps me get away from the stress of school without actually getting away from school), but it might take months (which I don't think I can last) to find it, if they even will find it. However, if I go out and buy a new iPod (which will indeed be very painful) and then I come back to school to find that a few days later they get me my iPod back, it will really suck.
    So, I could miserably wait months until it hopefully gets found (if it does), or I could go out and buy a new one (without the wait) and potentially get my old iPod found and have wasted about $200 dollars.

What do you guys think I should do?

2. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

If you think you know who it is then go check that person. Don't put up with this. If that doesn't work just buy a new one, I highly doubt you will find it after this long.

Be sure to use Find My iPhone next time.

3. DudeMartin thread starter macrumors regular

Doesn't that service cost quite a bit of money?

4. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

It depends on if you have any brand new iOS devices.

Too late now either way.

5. DudeMartin thread starter macrumors regular

It's a 2nd gen iPod Touch, and I have updated it to iOS 4.2(.1?)

6. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

It's free on new iOS devices.

It usually is $99 a year.

7. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

That is not a current generation, however I have heard there are ways to activate it for older devices. It's too late now but just remember this for the future.

8. DudeMartin thread starter macrumors regular

******!!!, I even remember registering the account on MobileMe, I just didn't go to settings and did 'Active Find My iPod.'

Well do you guys any suggestions like "tell Apple your serial number" or "talk to the principal in person" or anything of that sort?

Worst case scenario, if I do have to buy a new one, how should I approach my parents about this? I know this sounds a bit childish, but it's not very pleasant telling your parents "I lost a $200 item," so do you guys have any ideas on how should I approach them?

9. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I never had anything stolen at school but I kinda remember, it has been a few years, that the staff at my school didn't help out much about this.

Don't tell your parents about the theft, just say, "I'd really like a current generation iPod touch for Christmas."

10. DudeMartin thread starter macrumors regular

$200 dollar gift seems rather demanding for Christmas, plus it wouldn't matter - I would be paying for it, and frankly, I have an envelope by my bed with 200 dollars in it anyways. It's just that before my family came to America, we lived in a poor country in Europe (poverty) and our ways of saving money have stayed with us. My mom still uses $.50 coupons (even though she DEFINITELY doesn't need to) and throwing away $200 is a big deal for her. Plus, I've been wanting a laptop for like three years now, so I will be getting a 13" MacBook Pro when that model gets updated (which she will pay for), so asking it as a gift will not work out.

I'm thinking of just approaching her in way that would... slowly unravel the entire circumstances ("So ... 2 weeks ago, when I was in a rush to get to class on time ... etc," "and now that I don't have one, I really would need one because a new semester is... etc").

Any other suggestions?

Btw, thanks for being quick about responding, it's nice to be on forums that are actually responsive!

11. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I know what you mean by saving money, I am originally from Bolivia before coming to America. I see that you would like to tell your parents, but just say you aren't asking for another one. Say that you are going to replace it yourself or not get another one.

12. DudeMartin thread starter macrumors regular

What do you mean by "replace it yourself" or "not get another one"?

13. Mitchelino macrumors 6502

Sorry for your loss. I consider myself lucky to not be a victim to theft. I'd suggest talking with the administration of your school and see if there is any news on the lost iPod. If the lost item form doesn't seem to be helping out, it might be a good idea to get a new iPod, as you seem to rely on it a lot for keeping your stress down. As a university student, I understand what you're talking about; I rely on my iPhone a lot. If mine were to be stolen, I'd definitely be buying another iPod touch (seeing as it's still a while until the iPod refresh). And if you do get your iPod back (which I hope you do), you could always sell the old one (or new one).

14. DudeMartin thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I think it'd be the best idea, plus, I would give the older one to either my older brother (who seems to be obsessed with the dang thing, always browsing the web on his bed) or give it to my mom which still uses the first gen iPod nano (very first that came out).

I think that's the way I'll go.

Oh oh, also, last thing...
    When I bought my 2G iPod Touch, I also bought the extended-coverage warranty from Best Buy. Do you think that if I buy my new iPod Touch 4G there, would they be able to transfer that warranty to my new iPod Touch (I will provide the original receipt of the 2G one, of course)?

15. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Excellent point.

I mean like don't ask for another, even though you'd said you'd be buying a new one.

16. DudeMartin thread starter macrumors regular

Any thoughts on:

When I bought my 2G iPod Touch, I also bought the extended-coverage warranty from Best Buy. Do you think that if I buy my new iPod Touch 4G there, would they be able to transfer that warranty to my new iPod Touch (I will provide the original receipt of the 2G one, of course)?

17. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Did you buy Best Buy's extended warranty or Apple's? I'm not for sure, but either way I don't think it works that way.

18. DudeMartin thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I bought Best Buy's, anyways, I'll try when I go buy my iPod (if I doesn't get found soon). Thanks for all your help, everyone. I should be going to bed, it's 11 PM, I have to wake up at 6:30 AM because I have FINALS tomorrow - eek!

Once again, thanks everyone!
    This thread can be closed ... ... now!

19. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Good luck with your finals tomorrow! And if you don't mind me asking, but wh7at grade are you in?

20. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

Good luck with finals. Know how you feel, just finished mine on Thursday.

21. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

It's free, but even if it wasn't...I guess you'd rather shell out for a new iPod than only 99 for MobileMe

22. supermac96 macrumors 6502a

supermac96

if its the music that you need that get a cheap 2g or 1g ipod nano for 50 buks or less and if you don't find your touch in a few months then get a new one. it has a camera:D

23. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

24. Windows macrumors member

Windows

The BestBuy warranty sucks big time,
    If something happens to your iPod what they'll do is send it in, check it and give you one of THEIR refurbished iPods. They won't ever replace it for a new one, and to top things off they aren't "original" iPods, because they're not directly from Apple. If you decide to get a refurb from BestBuy they won't have the Apple logo on the back and your Apple warranty is automatically voided.

I know because I tried to replace my iPod Touch 4g because my battery was failing on me bad, I sent it in and they "inspected" it overnight. Next day I go in and they tell me my battery was completely fine even though it wouldn't even last 10 hours on sleep mode, when the Apple website states it lasts 40 hours. :rolleyes: Yep, their stupid

Decided to go to my nearest Apple Store, reserved an appointment with one of their guys and waited a day. Day passed, went to my appointment, talked to a guy called Nick who diagnosed my iPod in less than 5 minutes and he told me that they would order in a new iPod for me. Just picked up my new iPod yesterday, been using it ever since on the SAME charge and it's still on 97% of battery :cool: (It's been 2 days) ...

So don't waste your time with BestBuy, plus you already get a 360 day warranty with Apple as well which in my opinion is much more effective and trustworthy because your dealing with the original manufacturer not with third party warranties.

Now, I would suggest talked to this person you think stole your iPod... If your weak or something ask a friend to do it along with you I guess, but def. don't let him get away with it :mad:
    If you get it back then give it to your mom and tell her you will be purchasing the new iPod Touch 4g, because it really is a big improvement from the older generations or idk, if you prefer to save your money then do what you want.
    If you don't find your iPod then explain it to your mom and tell her you did what you could and that you would like to buy a new iPod Touch. I recommend you don't tell her you want a new one at the same time you tell her that you lost it because chances our she'll be pissed/disappointed and in no mood to allow you to buy another one.

Hope I help!:apple:

25. LeighAnna Jones, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011

LeighAnna Jones macrumors 6502

Oh ****.

I know what that's like, if you think it might be that person, talk to them.

There is a girl that goes to my school and she has an unhealthy habit of stealing. She always takes things from me. Today was my first day back at school, since I'm only in middle school, and I kept my touch in my wallet and kept it TIED TO MY WRIST the entire day. I plan on doing this for the rest of the year, because lateley she has been hanging around all the other kids with iTouches. She even asked me if she could hold it, only so she could see where I kept it.
    TALK TO THIS PERSON. It helps. Believe me. And this is no "small theft" we're talking around 200 bucks! That's pretty much a burglary!
    TRY EVERYTHING.

Also note if you get it back:
    Find my iPhone is free on any IOS 4.2 iPod touch, BUT you must at least 2 apple products to use it; find my iPhone must be enabled on the missing device and on another iPod Touch, iPhone, or iPad.

You have to use another iPod Touch, iPhone, or iPad to locate you device because it will not work on a desktop computer or laptop. (Apple or not, it won't work on desktops and laptops) IF you don't have 2 IOS 4.2 devices then you can borrow a freind's device that is running IOS 4.2 and Find My iPhone, and just sign in with your apple ID on that device.

Hope this helped.