Ipod touch to Ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by schweers5779, May 5, 2011.

1. schweers5779 macrumors newbie

My daughter has a 32 gig ipod touch and I just bought a 8 gig touch. We have one computer that we use to get our music from. She only uses about 3 gigs with all of her apps and music and I know I would use alot more then that. What I would like to do is transfer everything from her ipod on to the 8 gig one. The problem is I have about 5000 songs on itunes that I know she doesn't want on her ipod. Can anyone tell me how I can just move everything she has on her ipod now onto the new one? My apologies in advance because I am really new to setting these up and can't figure it out for the life of me.

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Have you been syncing your old iPod touch with a copy of iTunes? If so, it should have been backing up your old touch. Just plug the new one in to that computer and it will ask you if you want to restore a previous backup. This will set the ipod up exactly like the old one.

3. schweers5779 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have been syncing but the problem is she orginally had about 100 songs on there and I have uploaded my library of about 5000 songs onto itues. She doesn't want any of those songs tranferred over to her ipod.

4. RedRallyeZ macrumors regular

You've got a few options:

1.build a playlist with the songs she likes, then once youve connected her ipod to itunes, select it on the sidebar, then along the top, select music. Change the radio button from "Entire Music Library" to "Selected playlists, Artists...." then pick the playlist youve made her.

2. Or following the same procedure, instead of building her a playlist, do the exact same thing and youll see a list of all the artists in your library. go through and pick the ones you want and shell have only those on her ipod. This may be better if she only listens to a few artists.

5. nsquid macrumors newbie

the only real long term solution for this is to create a seperate user account, which will then have it's own itunes library. the whole playlist thing is cool, but what happens every single time you want to add music to one iPod and not the other?

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

There's a really easy way to do it.
    Try this

Plug in your daughters iPod into the computer and open up iTunes. Right click on the iPod (when it appears in the left side of iTunes) and click "backup". Now unplug the 32gb iPod.
    Plug in the new iPod (8gb) and go to the device's page (where it shows all the information). Then click "Restore". When it is done restoring, it will ask you if you want to "restore from backup" or "start fresh". Click "restore from backup" and let it do it's thing. Then when its done, verify that the 8GB iPod has all the things from before (which it should) and then unplug. Then plug in the 32GB iPod, click "restore" and click "start fresh" so you can set it up as a new device.