iPod touch,urgent help. BRICKED, I'm dying inside D:

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by loljack, Oct 8, 2010.

1. loljack macrumors newbie

Okay guys, I've had my 2nd gen 16bb touch since christmas last year, and yesterday, it was acting up a little. When I say a little, when I double tapped the home button, it went into my actual music, instead of coming up with that neat little control thing.
    So I thought, oh well, time for a good old 'restart', so I turned it off. I noticed when I turned it off that it didn't really come up with the little spinny 'loading circle'. I thought that was weird.
    So I pressed the on button, and went to have a shower, thinking happily about how I was going to stay up listening to my music, and talking to my mates on msn.
    Except when I got out and pressed the home button to start my music, nothing happened. When I plugged it into my dock, nothing happened. When I pressed the home button again, nothing happened. When I press and hold the power button, nothing happened.
    I was quite depressed, so I went to sleep, thinking about how my night was ruined, but thinking that my dear little iPod would e better in the morning.
    IT WASN'T.
    Rushed downstairs, plugged into iTunes, etc, nothing. Won't even come up. I've treid DFU, but it's a brick, nothings happened.

I do think that it's been dropped a few times but... :$ it worked absolutely fine.
    I actually purchased the iPod in late August last year, and kept it till Christmas as a present, so I'm not too sure about warranty.
    My nearest apple store is ages away, so I'm not too keen about that, but it looks like I'll have to end up going.
    And my power button, ever since I got it, it's always been stuck, like, it won't pop back up. Maybe I could try and blame apple for that?

Secondary question; if I was able to get my iPod replaced, what would they replace it with? Cause I don't want to have to trade in my 16gb for an 8gb, that's pretty unfair.

Thanks for your help in advance :)

2. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Does it even turn on when you sync? If not, then you might want to try and replace the battery. If neither of those work, you should probably visit your ages-away Apple Store. They should replace it with a new or refurb, most likely a refurb. They might, MIGHT, give you a discount on another iPod, but probably not a very big one, if one at all. You probably can blame the stuck home button on them, but I think it might be too late. I guess it might depend on the person at the counter.

3. loljack thread starter macrumors newbie

No, it doesn't turn on at all. Someone please save me, I'm being reduced to facebook quizes and runescape D:

4. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Not at all? Have you dropped it or let it touch water?

5. loljack thread starter macrumors newbie

It was in my pocket at school all day yesterday, and it has been raining quite heavily. But I doubt that would affect it. Yes I've dropped it, but it's been perfectly fine. Up till now.

6. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Has the water sensor gone off?

7. loljack thread starter macrumors newbie

May I ask what that is and how to check it?

8. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Yes you may. :) It is a sensor in the 30 pin connector (dock), or the headphone jack, that when exposed to water will turn pink. I haven't seen it before, but it should be fairly easy to see through the headphone jack or dock. If they are pink, then it has been exposed to water, somehow. This will void warranty. (Or probably any possibility of Apple's help.)

9. loljack thread starter macrumors newbie

Mm. I see a nice white strip at the bottom of my headphone jack? and nothing at all in my 'dock'jack? So I should be good for my journey to apple store :). If it di get wet, is there anything I should do?
    And is there anything I should try to do now?

10. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

That strip is probably it. If it didn't get in the headphone jack, then probably not in the dock. If it did get wet, you should probably put it in a bowl of rice and let it sit for a week or so. That's only if it did get wet. But better safe then sorry. I would probably say that the battery might be dead if it doesn't turn off at all.

But you might want another opinion on that.

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

[​IMG]

If its pink, then you have tripped the water sensor.

12. loljack thread starter macrumors newbie

Disregrard all, tried DFU again and booted up perfectly, but a bit weird, because it didn't go into DFU, just booted up. Should i restore just to be safe? Thank you very much for all your help.
    Oh yeah, should I try and get my sleep button fixed? It's like, indented in, and it doesn't 'click' like all my friends ipods do . THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR HELPING, OR TRYING TO HELP XD

13. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Awesome. A restore wouldn't harm it, so you should probably go ahead.
    If you want to go to your Apple Store. :D If it doesn't bother you, it might not be worth it.
    You're welcome. :)

14. loljack thread starter macrumors newbie

Everythings back to normal, no mucking around, no need for restore I think. Thank you so much.

15. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Good. You're welcome. :) ....So much. :D

16. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

Start by performing a hard reset. Hold power and home button for 10+ secs to get out of dfu mode. If that doesnt work than do a restore.

17. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You do realize that the problem was fixed.

18. LeighAnna Jones macrumors 6502

Good one.

19. Googlyhead macrumors 6502

I'd say; get the button fixed while it's still under warranty. Could have been this causing the problem (or at least partially).