ipod touch useless/possible light ??? any thoughts

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by donjuju, Oct 5, 2007.

1. donjuju macrumors newbie

me and my friend have found this useless dot that looks like a light like on the iPod shuffles . but we haven't found anything about it .:confused:

Attached Files:

2. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

that is the light sensor that is supposed to control the brightness of your screen when you have it on auto ....

3. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

4. joshi3joshi macrumors regular

that is a dirty ipt:):rolleyes:

5. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

I've noticed the ambient light sensor doesnt really work. I go into different lighting conditions and it doesnt do anything. Then after a minute, the screen suddenly dims. Very strange behaviour. Also , when i'm in the dark, one would expect the screen do go darker, however, it goes brighter?!?

6. Nexroth macrumors newbie

it works whenever you turn it back on from idle.

7. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Mine works fine, it's when you switch from the "Slide to Unlock" screen to the menu that things look different.

8. aft macrumors regular

someone save this ipt from cheeto hands :p

My light sensor seems to work fine, not huge changes but when it comes out of sleep it changes.

9. donjuju thread starter macrumors newbie

tanx

thanks a lot everyone . we apreciate your help
    -don-

10. HelixOmnimedia macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

I thought there was something wrong with my touch... and I still think that there is.

Logically... when it's dark shouldn't the light get brighter? And when it's light, the it goes darker? :confused:

The iPod Touch seems to do the opposite? Is there a reason for that?

11. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

On a few products, the black film they put on the edges is too thin, and you can see the censor. The same thing happened to a friend's iphone, and the ambient light and proximity censor could be seen.

12. Quasiportnoy macrumors regular

Think of it this way: when you're in the sun, in order to see the backlit screen, it needs to be brighter in comparison to your surroundings. And if you walk from outside into a dark room, the screen dims because a)It's uncomfortable to look at a full-brightness screen in a pitch black room (try it sometime by turning auto brightness off, and the brightness all the way up) and b)To dim the screen saves on battery life. And you can afford to dim the screen in the dark since it needs less backlight to be just as visible to you.

I'll admit it does sound counterintuitive at first, but when you see it work, the brightness relative to the surroundings stays pretty constant.

Hope this helped.

13. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

I thought it was a hidden camera employed by apple to see what I'm doing with my iPod Touch at night :(

14. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

I've noticed that but would it not be more effective if it sensed its environment in real time like the Macbook Pro?

15. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It's just a guess and MHO, but I suspect it's because its environment is much more changeable than a MacBook Pro. Since it's moved around while in use, it probably ended up being more annoying, than useful. Just a theory, anyway.

16. chemy999 macrumors newbie

wait...

when i saw people saying that you could see the sensor i was worried that apple had ripped me off

but people are saying that this is the case on only some????:confused:

also i'm not sure mine is working at all: i notice absolutely no difference no matter what and i didn't even know it existed untill i saw stuff about it online :confused::confused::confused::confused:

17. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I saw that a long time ago, and just figured it was the light sensor. I noticed, though, that for that entire trip, I couldn't not notice it up there :p But yeah.

18. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

You can't see it just by looking at the iPod, you have to have it in a position where there's a lot of light being reflected off the screen. Also the sensor is closer to the center of the top of the screen on the 2nd gen iPod touch (it's been moved considerably to the right in comparison to the pic in this thread).

You will have it, the parts used in the manufacturing of the iPod means that the black part of the screen has a hole drilled into it for the sensor.

I remember a couple months back when some people were posting saying they'd found a camera that was built into the touch, and they were totally owned when people told them it was just the light sensor.

Why would Apple include a camera but not a camera app, and why wouldn't they advertise it at all? :p

19. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

if your in the dark the light sensor should make the LCD brighter not darker it does not make sense for it to make it darker so that you cannot see what you are doing.

personally I turn the auto brightness off as I find it to be crap, I was in a well lit room but the auto dim decided to turn the brightness down so much so that I could barely see what I was doing