iPod Touch was replaced... is the new one a REFURB???

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by philosopherdog, Mar 20, 2009.

1. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

Hi,
    I brought my iPod Touch 32GB 2G in to the Apple Store today for a malfunctioning sync port. They replace it immediately. The thing was a mere 2 months old. I asked whether the replacement was a refurb and the answer I got was that it was either refurb or new. Anyhow, the thing looks new, but they obviously replace casing and screens on the refurbs. I was wondering, is there any way of telling whether the thing is a refurb? Also, should I be concerned? I have to say that this is less than ideal. I can understand being given a refurb if that's what I bought in the first place, but I bought a new iPod and if this one was defective then it should be replaced by a new machine. Thoughts?

2. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Its not really a big deal, anyway after apples refurb process, it will be in better condition than a two month old iPod.

3. i-Want-Apples macrumors regular

That's exactly my thoughts. I think if you originally purchase a new one, then it should be replaced with a new one, if a refurb, then replaced with a refurb. If you pay the extra money to get a new product, I don't see why they replace it with a refurb product when there is a problem. There are so many problems that could happen with the iPod, from something simple, to something more difficult that I'm sure a lot of iPods get replaced pretty quickly (yours was only 2 months old, mine was less than a month old when I noticed it had dead pixels) it almost doesn't make it worth while to get a new one when they are very likely to replace it with refurb if there is a problem. That is something that has always bothered me, it is great that they are so willing to correct problems, but I just don't think it should be replaced with a refurb when bought new, especially during the first year, I can kind of see it if the extended warranty is added, but even then.

Okay, sorry, back to your question. It is my understanding that a refurbished iPod will come in a box that is different from the new ones. A new iPod Touch comes in the clear, plastic case and you can see the touch, whereas the refurb comes in a box, I believe it is sealed and white. But as far as I know, this is the only way you can really tell the difference.

4. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

Think of it this way: you are giving Apple a USED iPod that is not working, and they are giving you an iPod with a few refurbished parts in it, which is fully tested and 100% certified up to the same standards as a brand new iPod in the retail box. Is there a problem there?
    At that point, you no longer have a brand new iPod, you have a used iPod as soon as you open the packaging. You may have paid extra for a new iPod, but that iPod has become a used iPod. You said yourself that you can't tell if it's a refurb or brand new, so who cares? Either way, it's in better condition than your old one, it actually works, and you got it replaced for FREE.

5. philosopherdog thread starter macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

I don't get this argument. Because the iPod is used it should be replaced by used? How does that follow? This isn't a reason. It just begs the question. I say it should be replaced by new because I bought a new one, and it's only 2 months old. I could see replacing a machine 6 months old or greater with a refurb, but a machine that is this new should be replaced by new. Obviously Apple can do what they want, but I'm not satisfied. Apple should return me to the state prior to buying their defective product, namely the state when I bought the iPod new, or return my money, or give me the difference between a new and a refurb. They do this because they can. Refurb machines should be sold as refurbs. If this is the practice then why buy new at all? Just buy a refurb then, if it's just as good as new. They are not exchanging something of equal value here are they? Otherwise they would charge the same price for the refurb machines as they do the new. It's not my fault that they made a defective machine. Why should I be given something that's worth less than the machine I originally purchased? Doesn't make sense to me. Of course the machine they gave me was better than the broken one I exchanged it for, but not better than a new one, which is what I paid for. So, clearly this is a rip off and I feel ripped off as I should.

6. Legendary macrumors newbie

It maybe a refurbished model... BUT to apple a refurb is different than a best buy or any other tech shop referb. To them its referb if someone opens the box and returns it. Its the same as apple taking your ipod off the line and finding the ram was dead. They would then replace the ram and stick it in a box and call it new. A referb to any other company would be something insibe being replaced... to companies like best buy what to apple is a referb to them is called an open box model. i know all this because i spoke about it with a guy from the genius br while they replaced my 1.5 year old macbook.

7. WB2Colorado macrumors regular

WB2Colorado

I have to agree. As soon as your iPod is taken out of the box, as soon as your fingers, your music, videos, apps, ect. are inside the iPod, it should be considered used. Your iPod was 2 months old, weather it seems new or used to you or not, it was used.

I would like to know why you would care if Apple gave you a used iPod to replace your old one? I mean, if you can't tell if it is new, why care?

8. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

What you do, don't care. Be grateful they replaced it at all. I've had two refurbished iPod touch's. The first one had a couple little scratches and the sleep/wake button was a little loose. The second one looks brand new, no problems whatsoever. In fact, some can consider a refurb better than new since all the parts are tested.

9. saberahul macrumors 68040

Tell me the difference between a refurb and a new, would you? Let me answer that for you.
    A new product is a genuine product that has not been ever used or touched by someone.
    A refurb product is a used product that was sent for repairs for whatever problem it had and was fixed, cleaned out, and replaced with new parts.
    Now is there really a difference between the two of them? No. The only difference is the psychology behind it.

To answer your original question: No, there is no way to tell a difference between a refurb and a new.

To answer your concern: The product is in a new state, it may have had parts replaced with new ones or it maybe new altogether. It should not make a difference to you.

Oh and the part where you say that apple refurb is different compared to other companies is ENTIRELY false. (Did i bold font that for you?)
    Apple cleans and replaces the parts that were defective. The guy told you the wrong details. How do I know this? I work with refurb products. I have had 2 refurbs from Apple. And I contract with MSFT linking Gamestop and the XBOX 360.

10. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

I rejected 4 refurbs before I settled with one that I thought looked in good condition. The seal around the screen was the give away. Some refurbs are just badly refitted, 3 of my rejected one were like this. The 4th rejected refurb had a scratch on the glass.

Problem with refurbs is intermittent faults, If it's difficult to reproduce a fault the iPod will likely pass any diagnostics.

11. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

and if the new ones were totally flawless inside and out, they wouldn't need replacing, would they? :rolleyes:

12. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

are you getting your refurbs from apple or the refurb depot? I've bought a lot of refurb stuff from apple with nary a problem.

as for the post, if they had fixed your existing one, would you have been content with that? You would have had to wait for it, and then it would have been a, a, a what do you call it? REFURB. :D

13. big-blue-wolf macrumors regular

big-blue-wolf

If it was a brand new in-the-box iPod then the staff at the Apple Store would have taken it out of the retail box or given it to you in the box.

When I had my touch replaced due to battery problems, the 'new' one came out of a brown box (not a retail box) so I knew it was a refurb. Even then, I asked if it was a refurb just to make sure.

It has now worked perfectly for the last nine months.

I think you would have got a brand new replacement if you had taken it back within the first month. That's how most mobile companies work with faulty phones so I imagine Apple will use a similar system with iPods.

14. philosopherdog thread starter macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

To many of the poster who say that there is NO difference between a refurb and new, if you really believe this, then the question I have for you is why ever buy new? In fact, some of you seem to claim that buying a refurb is better than new, because everything has been tested! Wow. It would be odd if Apple didn't test new product before it gets shipped. But I have a very good reason for not wanting a refurb to replace a machine I bought new, and that is that I paid the new price, not the refurb price for the unit. I think the strongest argument against my view is the person's view who asked whether or not I'd rather have the unit I bought new repaired and wait, or take one that's been repaired and tested from someone else. I would have liked to have that choice. I think I would have chosen the repair if it were done in a timely way. The reason is that I know where the unit has been; I know it hasn't been dropped, etc. Of course Apple can test for some problems, but with complex machinery like this they can't test for all problems. But, look, if you think that refurb is JUST as good or better than new, then why on earth would you ever buy a new unit from Apple UNLESS the model is so new that no refurb units are available. Personally, I have a rule of thumb about computers/iPods: if it's a refurb then the unit has already broken once. This is a bad beginning. Also, opening these units up, as another poster suggested, loosens the seal. Anyhow, I don't think that it's convincing to say that because I used the unit I am only entitled to a used unit in exchange. I don't see any reason given to believe this.

15. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

dang, if u put this much thought into world peace, we'd be living in utopia right now...:D

16. Eyedn macrumors regular

"iPod Touch was replaced... is the new one a REFURB???"

Yes.

Be happy.

17. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

I don't buy anything new, nearly everything I've bought has been out of the refurbished store. The only two things I've bought new were a first gen iPod Touch, and a late 06 20" iMac. Both had to be replaced in less than a year.

My refurbished 14" G4 iBook is coming on 5 years with no problems. It's currently my grandparents' notebook.

My refurbished first gen MacBook is pushing 3 years with no problems. It's replacing my parents' Dell notebook.

My refurbished first gen Intel Mini is over 3 years old with no problems. I gave it to my now ex-GF.

My refurbished unibody MacBook Pro (15") is a couple months old, and nary a single problem.

(Edit: forgot my 5.5 Gen 30GB iPod, iPhone 3G, and 4th Gen nano, are all refurbs as well)

I'm waiting to get a refurbed 24" Cinema Display this summer. With all the money I've saved (around $300 on the MBP alone), I could care less that it comes in a brown box instead of a pretty white/black box.

18. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Think of it this way:
    Yes, you bought a new iPod. HOWEVER, you used it for two months. Used products go down in value. For example, you buy a brand new car for $30,000. After using it for a year or so, it's value goes down to, say, $25,000.
    It's the exact same case for iPods, it goes down in value depending on both how long you've had it and for exactly how you've used it. An example of this is that I bought my brand new 32GB iPod touch for $540, it's recommended retail price in Australia. I've had it for 3 months, so in no way is it considered new. However, the moment I opened the box I put the iPod in a case, so apart from fingerprints on the screen it looks as if I got it yesterday. I'd be a fool to sell it for the full $540 that I bought it for, after all, no one in their right mind would pay full price for a product that someone has used a lot beforehand; I could sell it for, say, $350-$400. Yes, I'd be losing a lot of money, but I wouldn't sell it if I was charging the brand-new price for a new product.
    If I didn't take care of my iPod and it was covered in scratches and dents, then the resale value of it goes down even more. People won't want to pay even $400 for an iPod that doesn't look the best on the outside, even if it's internal hardware and software still functions properly. I'd be able to sell a 'damaged' one for about $250-$300.
    How does this relate back to you? Because you got 2 months use out of the iPod. If you tried to sell it, you wouldn't sell it as 'brand new', would you? No, it'd be sold as used. So regardless of what you think, it is technically a used iPod. This means it's current value IS NOT what you originally paid for it (even worse if you've never put it in a case and it's covered in scratches). Apple had every right to give you a refurb; the device you returned may have been BOUGHT brand new, but it was RETURNED as used hardware. You were not entitled to a brand new product as a result. Fair enough if you took it straight out of the box and found something wrong with it, then you would have gotten a brand new one, but no way in hell after two months of use.

Do you know how many iPods have been sold worldwide? Over 100,000,000. That's one hundred million. There are no less than 16 million iPod touches out there currently in use, according to Apple. So you can see the problem with wanting every single device tested. Supplies would never be kept up if every single iPod had to be unboxed, tested vigorously, and then repackaged and shipped. That's not how it works. No company that produces devices like this tests every single unit before it's shipped. That's the entire reason of having a warranty; because no doubt some units will be faulty, and Apple wants people to know that they're covered.
    On the other hand, refurbs only make up a very tiny part of that 16 million total. Every refurb is made by actual Apple techs, as opposed to factories in Asia, and they are only made on the basis that parts are available and there is demand for refurbs. Therefore the Apple techs actually have the time to test the products, because they aren't made in bulk, with hundreds of thousands being made a month, like with the brand new ones.
    I'm not saying the new ones aren't tested, they are...just not every unit. Apparently a few out of each batch get tested, and if they have faults then more of the batch is tested. If these units pass inspection, then the entire batch is cleared.
    Sorry, but if you expect every single one of the millions of iPods to be tested before they're sold...that's just insane.

Many people prefer refurbs. In fact, do a search of this forum. When a new iPod model comes out many people go to the refurb section of the Apple online store and buy refurb units of the old model. The same thing is currently happening with refurb iMacs, since the new models have just been released; many people here didn't think the updates were good enough so they're buying old, refurb models for a cheaper price. So to answer your question, it's not like the refurbs go to waste. There are actually people that buy them. All my replacement iPods that I've had have been refurbs, and I've had no problems with them - I actually found them more reliable than the ones I bought brand new.

So, to sum up, you may have bought a new iPod, but after two months it is, technically, classified as used. It is no longer worth the price you paid for it, and wouldn't get anywhere near that price if you ever wanted to sell it. Therefore, Apple had no obligation to give you a brand new unit.

19. drjsway macrumors 6502a

20. ghettochris macrumors 6502a

once you're beyond the return period, if it breaks you can be given a refurb. Thats what the terms of the warranty are. if you are worried about it breaking in 2 months, you are better off buying it at target where you can return for a refund within 3 months, far greater than the apple store. I had an ipod that the hard drive crashed after a month or 2, they were about to give me a refurb at the apple store, but i declined and went and returned it at target and got a brand new one.

your product is only brand new during the return period of where you buy it basically.

21. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Who cares? It works right? If you buy a house nowadays, it's usually "used". If you use recycled paper (humanitarian) then it's "used". Get a life, instead of polluting an well educated forum like this with questions like yours. If you get a "new" one, then the moment you touch it, the value drops.

22. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I don't like the idea of getting refurbs, but I fully admit that there's no difference between new and refurb and I actually agree with the idea that you turn in a used iPod, you get a used one back. Otherwise Apple would have to be much much tighter with what they actually take in as warranty issues.

I had an iPod classic last year. I downloaded some Nike Soccer (Joga TV) podcasts, some of them wouldn't play, the screen just went to static and then the iPod crashed. Others played fine.

I took the iPod and my Macbook to the genius bar to see if they could sort it out, they assumed it was a bad file but offered to replace it just in case. The bad podcasts still wouldn't play on the refurb (and I know it was a refurb because it came in a brown box). But that iPod hasn't given me a single problem at all. The one complaint was that you could tell the back casing had been removed because it didn't quite fit flush with the front casing. Made it tough to put a wrap around invisible shield on it!

SLC

23. saberahul macrumors 68040

I do not see how such a simple topic on a mere diff. between a new ipod touch and a refurb can really tempt someone so much. Anyhow, buying a refurb for a lesser price from the apple store works out to be a lot more compared to a new one bought at a store like sams club. It's only the matter of common sense, which really surprises me since this argument has no point to it. Nevertheless, no one ever said buying the refurb is better than the new one... :confused:

To better clarify the reading skills here, no one said to open the product. It was a mere explanation to how the product and the service center works. If you're so keen on arguing and proving yourself right then why post and ask when you can simply go and replace it and put up a full drama at the apple store? And your rule of thumb is of no consideration to the people on this forum... keep yourself aware of the fact that the original post was by you questioning the difference and a way to find that difference, if possible. Period.

24. saberahul macrumors 68040

Exactly.

25. ChrisA macrumors G4

So you gave them a used iPod and ask for repair and they hand back a totally re-conditioned iPod. I'd say you got a better deal than you asked for. They in effect did a total refurb job and all they owed you was a simple repair.