iPod touch water damage - HELP!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Tragedies, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Tragedies macrumors 6502

I boguht a BestSkinsEver and it arrived a few days ago. Foolishly I decided to apply the back cover not knowing I had to visit someone soon (luckily they decided to make the event tommorow), and I wanted to take the quick way out, because I'm just damn stupid :(

For those who don't know, you need to make a water solution and dip the Best Skin Ever into the water and apply it to the back and let it settle. After about an hour of no luck (constant slipping, corners not sticking), I decided to use a Hair Dryer to dry it out. I went from warm to cool repetedly, not wanting to have one hot source going on my iPod. Not realizing though, water was going out (I knew that) but was going udner the iPod's back and into the front! And was slipping into the iPod itself.

After taking my Best skin Ever to try re applying it I turned my iPod over, to see if the table had caused any scratches, no scratches. but a crapload of water. I quickly dried my iPod all over, and turned it out. It worked, thankfully.

But I notice as the Apple logo is booting and such, there's a grey area on the bottom left, like a hill-shaped splash. Only noticble while the iPod is on though, and on grey/dark screens.

This is no doubt water, and while my iPod touch works fine as before, the 'splash' is easily noticible at times. Will it dry? Is it permenant? My own fault no doubt, but I hope there's a solution =/ Last time I take the 'easy' way out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...oh, and I threw the skin out, from rage >_> I'm not aware exactly how the iPod touch is made, how the screen works etc etc. so I'm hoping someone will be able to help me. Man this sucks :( Oh, and the 'soltuion' used was about 5-10% mild soap.

What are my options? Something is clearly gone wrong, with the volume and screen (obviously). Should I pay Apple to repair it? Or buy a new iPod touch? >_>

Edit; Now, whenever i listen to much, the volume is at it's MAX, and can't be changed. God damnit.

2. Funplex macrumors regular

Turn your iPod all the way off.

I can't imagine running it with all the water in there would help. If you can, put it in a ziploc bag with some dry rice in there. That may help assist in removing some moisture.

Just try to be careful so some rice doesn't get stuck in the headphone jack.

I don't know if anyone else has any ideas on removing water, but thats the best I can think of. I use dry rice to keep a lot of stuff dry.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    You could always look on ifixit.com and they might have instructions to disassemble it so you can remove the water. But that should only be used as a last resort.

4. Tragedies thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for that. A few other forums suggested that too. I put it in a container with some dry brown rice, and covered it.

I don't understand how rice can help though (despite many people suggesting it). If the screen has water on it, how will the rice dry it out? I'm not good with this stuff XD

I should be thankful though, that only part of the screen and the volume settings are damaged.

Oh, and is it possible for a screen in my state (where water has contacted the LCD, if thats what its called) to become dry?

5. Funplex macrumors regular

Rice-- when dry, is VERY absorbent. It's kinda like the properties of salt, but without being corrosive.

If there is moisture, the rice will leech it out of the ipod, be it by direct contact, or when the water evaporates.

6. Tragedies thread starter macrumors 6502

oh, ok. You make it sound godly xD Heh.

Now my only woprry is the volume. Since getting water through the tiny gaps, the screen may get fixed via rice, but the volume can't be controlled. It always plays at the ipod's max, and the volume limit, or scroller has no effeect at all. If the screen dries out, I'll probably take it too the Apple Store and say it's faulty. The ehadphone jack never came in contact with water, so how else could they deem is water damaged? Once the scree dries that is (if it does at all.)

mikey

7. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

If there's water on the iPod's screen then there is a huge chance that water did come into contact with the headphone jack. Look inside the jack, normally at the very end there is a white disc. If this has turned pink at all, it has come into contact with water and, basically, you're screwed.
    I honestly don't see Apple falling for the 'faulty' excuse, looking at the extensive watermarks on the screen.

8. Tragedies thread starter macrumors 6502

The volume started working late yesterday, and all that remains is the water mark on the screen, but today it's been going slowly away.

The disc is about 1/4 pink >_> But I reckon the screen will clear up.

Out of curiosity, does the pink ever go away within time? Days? weeks? Never?

9. nomad4 macrumors newbie

Glad to hear it's kinda clearing up, keep us updated :)

10. PinkPig macrumors newbie

Never. That's the way it's designed - so that they can immediately tell if it's ever got wet.

11. stuff macrumors newbie

The same kind of situation happened to me.. dont worry the water marks will go away on its own eventually.. mines took 2 weeks but there are still sum white foggy mark inside which is taking very long. As for the water detecter thingy thats inside the headphone jack, its goin to remain pink. The reason for it to be there is so they can tell weather or not the ipod had any water damage to it. So if u ever have any problem and u want to bring back ur ipod back for repair... make sure u cover up ..I cut a lil peice of plain white paper and put paper glue and stick over the pink. anywayz good luck.. and if u ever get a new ipod touch make sure u take care of it!:p

12. saberahul macrumors 68040

Happened to me with a different device though. Unfortunately mine never went away and ultimately died. Not to scare you, I'd take some action soon- try to contact apple and ask them if they can, if anything, do something for you. I would suggest opening it and leaving it open in the air so water can evaporate.

13. Shader macrumors newbie

My iPod touch has water damage however the white strip is still white.
    If I take it into apple will they give me a new one?
    Or should I bring it into Best Buy?
    I'm kinda hoping to get an exchange, still have original receipt from Best Buy as well as the warranty from Best Buy and still have the 1 year warranty from apple for it as well.
    (touch screen doesn't work and the backlight isn't functioning.)
    Would saying it overheated while charging overnight and I found it like this help at all?

14. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Why don't you just shoplift one from Best Buy? Same thing as claiming it's defective after you ruined it yourself.

15. SolidAttempt macrumors newbie

WET IPOD touch.

LEAVE OFF THE IPOD, dont turn anything on till yur sure its dry. and dont use ****ing rice thats ridiculous....if the MOISTURE is INSIDE THE IPOD the rice wont be able to contact it in order to absorb it, Grade one sciencee bish. anyhow. PUT THE IPOD UNDER the lamp....then let it chill and get hot....not too too close but like 8 inches from bulb....just under it...anyhow if there is alot of water try sucking from the port on the bottom..with ur mouth idiot. heat willl help.

As i am a big fan of electronics and gadgets of all sorts i often waste money on items of such, yet as a drunk i often spill or knock things over onto these items....so i know...

16. armoguy94 macrumors 6502

What the heck, relax dude.

Anyways, keep it in dry rice and do not attempt to turn it on at all even to see if it is working. Leave it on a radiator (seeing as its probably summer time for you that's not such a good idea.. but if you want to, go ahead) overnight, use a blowdryer, try taking the glass off from the iTouch and let the rice absorb that too. Just do anything that won't harm the iPod even more, but that will evaporate or absorb the water.

17. stevetravel macrumors newbie

Rice or Desiccant

The rice will suck the moisture out of the air causing the air to dry out. At reasonably warm temps the moisture in the device will then start to evaporate and and eventually be absorbed by the rice.

Even better then rice is a silica jell or commercial desiccant. This stuff sometimes comes packed with stuff you buy. - You should always keep that it can be pretty handy for this type of thing and is even reusable.

Ours worked without using a hairdryer. I'd be really hesitant to use a hair dryer - the air flow may move some water into a problem spot - causing a short - or the high temps of the air in one section of the device could cause different expansion popping solder joints. Maybe warm it to 100ºF by putting it somewhat close to a 60W bulb. That is what I did and it didn't risk getting too hot.

18. Hayduke60 macrumors regular

19. 101X macrumors member

wait to september and get a new ipod touch with a camera and faster processor. oh and just get a regular case.:D

20. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

i hope your ipod touch gets better:) let it dry in the sun, but not too much, then u will get a vapor tinted screen

21. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

Allegedly!!!

22. yoloni macrumors newbie

The same thing happened to me.
    My home button stopped working too.
    I wish BestSkinsEver would give us some spray bottle.
    Or may be we just have to be careful.
    My screen looks like this.
    [​IMG]

23. SadGirl101 macrumors newbie

Last night I stayed the night at my friend's house and her cat dumped a cup of water on it and because of the fact that I was half asleep I didn't notice that my Ipod was there and it sat in water fo about an hour until we woke up.

It has been in rice since about 6:30 this morning and I don't know what else to try. it still won't tuen on or anything. If my sister finds out she will kinn me so I need a quicker fix than rice.

How long does it have to sit in the rice anyways? What should I do if it doesn't work, My friends and were thinking about taking it to Best Buy to see if they can fix it. How much would that cost?

I really need to know!!!!!

24. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

Best Buy won't be able to do anything about it.

25. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

You could always reverse the litmus paper in the headphone jack with isopropyl alocohol, but that would be immoral...:)