iPod Touch wi fi issue!!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ClassicMac247, Dec 1, 2007.

1. ClassicMac247 macrumors 6502

ClassicMac247

Although the title reads newbie or member, I am not new to macs, and when it comes to computers my friend and I can work wonders. Soooooo, tell me how I can connect to wi fi at my school, its not wpa protected or anything its free access and i get good signal strength, just no internet connectivity. Wi-Fi works fine EVERYWHERE besides my school, I have tried everything, PLEEEEEAASE HELP!!!! Even my friends iPhone cant connect to the wi fi!:apple:

Thank you so much!

2. ClassicMac247 thread starter macrumors 6502

ClassicMac247

3. CopyChief macrumors member

Are you sure the access isn't restricted some other way? Check to see if your iPod has a valid IP address (Settings - Wifi -- Tap on the arrow next to the name of the network you're using). If it's 169.x.x.x, chances are your iPod is self-assigning and it's seeing the wifi but you're not connected to the network. Check on a computer that has wireless internet access and actually can connect to verify its settings. Some networks don't work on DHCP (which automatically assigns valid IPs to new devices) and require static IPs -- just another way to restrict access.

Without more info that's my best guess.

4. ClassicMac247 thread starter macrumors 6502

ClassicMac247

Thanks for the help but I have tried all that, my macbook connects as does my friends macbook pro. So it must be the iPhone and iPod?

5. franzmueller macrumors regular

Hi

I found a trick that it may work for you when having troubles getting your pod to work on " open " wifi spots.

turn your unit off for a few seconds and then turn it on again .

I don´t know why but when my pod is in stand by modus the entire day with the wifi turned on it wont work on any "free " wifi spots besides of my house and on places I was successfully logged in once .

Next time it will work for sure

Hope this helps

Saludos

6. ClassicMac247 thread starter macrumors 6502

ClassicMac247

Once again thanks for the help but i have tried this as well, I have some more ideas i will try monday but i dont see them working!

7. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I have trouble connecting to my girlfriend's wireless at her house. I was able to connect to it once before but, ever since I reset my iPod, I can no longer connect... I get the 169.x.x.x number. Before, when I was able to connect, there was no extra set up at all. It saw the router, her Mom typed in the password, and I was surfing the net when she handed it back to me, but now, that doesn't even work.

8. orangetrumpeter macrumors member

It is also possible that your school will not allow mobile devices to be on the server.... this is sometimes the case, and completely prevents you from using the likes of an iPod Touch or an iPhone on a network.

9. pianoplayer1 macrumors 6502

pianoplayer1

Can I please have the exact "name" of the hotspot - It could be a "fake" hotspot like HPsetup or something like that - I get one of those at my school.

10. ClassicMac247 thread starter macrumors 6502

ClassicMac247

These networks are not fake, I can connect using my laptops and the networks are used for our mobile iBook carts.

11. LeaverX macrumors member

Basically, the most likely cause is a bad setting in ip address, subnet mask, default gateway or DNS.

When selecting a wifi network, click the blue arrow next to your school networks name, and copy those numbers out of any device correctly connected tot he network.

12. urrl78 macrumors member

The Touch is quirky and particular when it comes to WiFi. On rare occasions once in a blue moon it will work with my MBP which is set up for Wifi sharing using my Sprint Expresscard, but usually not. But when I run that same Expresscard signal from my MBP to my Powerbook via Ethernet chord and set the Powerbook up for WiFi sharing the iPT loves it and works fine. I have never gotten the iPT to work reliably with the MBP unless I connect it to a Netgear Rangemax wireless router via Ethernet chord. Then the iPT works fine in either OSX or Bootcamp XP with the MBP. I have fiddled with IP addresses and settings to no avail as well as others with the same problem. The iPT is just not compatable with the MBP period, and I doubt if any solution will work reliably until perhaps Apple recognizes the problem and gives a firmware solution if that is even possible.

13. ClassicMac247 thread starter macrumors 6502

ClassicMac247

Thanks for the info

14. thingamajigidid macrumors member

dumb question...
    why o why, do you have both iphone and ipod touch?

15. Cache macrumors regular

I think, but I'm not entirely sure, that he said it was his friends iphone.

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I have noticed this quirkiness with my Touch as well. I think some of it may be due to the requirements of some networks to authenticate a connection in a web browser. Hotel WiFi networks often require this. In theory the Touch should be able to do this in the same way as a laptop, but perhaps in reality it can't. Just a theory.

17. Dr. Rengers macrumors member

This kind of problem is happening to me as well at my school. My iPod touch doesn't get an IP address (169...)

It used to work, and according to a teacher, the network did not change.
    Tomorrow I will test if it still works with my MacBook, and I'm going to check with the network administrator as well. (which could be tricky, since we aren't allowed to use the network in the first place ;) )

18. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

I have no probs with my iPod touch and wifi. Hehe, posted from my iPod touch

19. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

My iPod would not connect at my girlfriend's house but today I realized that I was typing the wrong password although it did not tell me the password was wrong and it still acted like it was connected, but it must have been a bug with the iPod or a feature of the router. Its working now.

20. joeliethegoalie macrumors member

I'm having issues w/getting on to open wifi networks as well. I've been shut out by three different coffee shops lately, at an airport or two, and other places where it should be no problem.

I'm getting the 169.blahblahblah IP address, and have tried turning off and on again w/no luck. Any help w/how to resolve (or at least troubleshoot) this would be much appreciated.

21. Dr. Rengers macrumors member

I just checked and my MacBook does have a connection, while my iPod touch doesn't. Also, I tried typing in the IP manually, and still it didn't work.

Could it be that they blocked the MAC address?

22. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

i'm glad to see others are having the same problems i'm having. i just hope apple can fix this soon, if it's possible. i bought this because of the wi-fi and it really sucks when 9 out of 10 times it doesn't work when it should.

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I would say 9 out of 10 times, it does work -- but that one out of 10 is annoying. The Touch is a bit of a work in progress. I'm hopeful that Apple will address issues like this.

24. joeliethegoalie macrumors member

I'd actually put it at about 50/50 at best (and lately not even that good).

My experience is that if the wifi requires a password (e.g., at home or at a friend's house) then it's usually OK. If it's a free and open wifi spot it becomes very hit or miss.

However, there are exceptions in both cases and that just adds to the frustration.

I'd be interested to know what effect, if any, jailbreak vs. non-jailbreak and 1.1.1 vs 1.1.2 has on this.

I'm jailbroken and still using 1.1.1. I can't say for sure whether the problem has worsened since 1.1.2 came out.

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This probably depends a great deal on where you use the Touch. I've had pretty good luck getting mine online, even on non-WEP networks, so I don't think the issue has to do with WEP passwords. In fact since there is no standard method of sending encrypted WEP passwords I'd be surprised if accessing WEP-protected WiFi networks was any more successful than unprotected networks.

No jailbreak on mine, firmware version 1.1.2.