iPod versus ZUNE

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Quasiperfectto, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Quasiperfectto macrumors member

I'm sorry to say it, but I have less issues with sound quality on my Zune than my Apple iPod. Not sure why the music recorded CD burn sounds better through my Zune. Any reason why?

2. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

people are going to murder you for saying that...

3. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

I have never used a Zune-that being said, "sounds better" is certainly a subjective opinion-not something easily measured.

I have a friend with a Zune who never uses it anymore-likes her iPod better.

Guess it is all "in the ear of the holder".

4. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Could you translate that into English? This sentence does not make any sense to me.

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

I don't know if I'm saying this correctly, but a lot of MP3 players (even those without user adjustable EQ settings) will do some tweaking to the sound.

From what I remember reading, the iPod doesn't do that (unless you mess with the EQ settings). It plays it back as it actually sounds, which can be pretty blah.

7. Quasiperfectto thread starter macrumors member

When I burn CD's into Zune, the sound quality is better compared to when I burn CDs into iTunes.

Sorry, I did not know we were being judged by the grammar we use here.

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

What file format do you rip them in?

That could be the difference

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you're talking about ripping quality, that depends on the format that you're ripping them to and the bitrate you're using to rip with. Both are user adjustable in the Zune software and iTunes.

10. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

is this even a valid thread? the zune is pretty horrible. i'm so happy i have an iPhone. all my mp3/video player needs are MET

11. ~*allison*~ macrumors regular

I have both. Are you using the same headphones for both? The ones that came with my Zune sound better than the earbuds that came with my iPod Classic. I have since bought a nice pair of in-ear's that I use for both devices. Better sound quality all around. Just curious, because I didn't really notice a huge difference between the two when I used the same pair of headphones for both.

12. Quasiperfectto thread starter macrumors member

The Zune setting to burn is "WMA constant bit rate." There are other settings I have not tried. I am using the default one.

13. BayouBengal macrumors regular

I own an old 30gig Zune and an iPhone 3G. I don't notice much of difference between the two. I use a pair of Ultimate Ears in-ear headphone, that's what completes the listening experience.

14. Quasiperfectto thread starter macrumors member

But since I changed the iPod setting to AAC 256 bitrate, I have noticed an improvement to sound quality.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

In which case if you are using the WMA's on the iPod they have to be converted by iTunes so if they didn't sound worse there would be something seriously wrong with the Zune. You need to re-rip them with iTunes as AAC and the same bit rate to reasonably fairly compare. (or you could use AAC's ripped with iTunes from CD's with the Zune).

IMO though the Zune isn't bad, its no iPhone but otherwise its pretty solid.

16. Beerfloat macrumors regular

Beerfloat

Woah we got 2 of the Zune owners in one topic..

where are the other 2, we could have a squirting party ;)

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I'm not a Zune owner, I have an iPod touch. I just have a friend with a Zune.

18. BayouBengal macrumors regular

Squirting party, sounds so........so dirty.:p I don't think I want any part of that.:eek:

19. Beerfloat macrumors regular

Beerfloat

I wouldn't dare to imply such Eraserhead.

20. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I have a Zune that I never use because I love iTunes. I hate how the Zune software is managed.

I also have an iPod Nano 4gb and an iPhone 16gb.

The Zune is 30gb.

21. ~*allison*~ macrumors regular

I love my iPod Classic 120, but I can't say that I hate my Zune either. I do acree with you about the Zune software though. It's a pain in the ass. I love iTunes for that. I use the Zune to watch tv shows with, on the go. I have it filled with almost 80gb of crime dramas now. Whhheeeee.

But, staying on topic, I imported directly from CD's when I got it. Did the same when I first got my iPod. No sound difference. (They each have their own computer, so yes, I ripped the CD's twice). No difference that I can notice anyway.

And yeah, that did sound a little dirty, didn't it. Haha. Too funny.

22. wpc33 macrumors 6502

wpc33

If the Zune worked with iTunes(Yeah right!) I would've bought one last December, instead of my Classic(fourth iPod for me).
    Nice design, tough body, and huge screen. MSware may blow, but dissing the Zune stopped being trendy a long time ago.

23. Beerfloat macrumors regular

Beerfloat

Mostly because everyone forgot it ever existed :eek:

24. armoguy94 macrumors 6502

The only reason I'd get an iPod now-a-days over any other DAP is because it offers greater storage capacity, in flash especially, for cheaper prices... at the moment, at least. The only reason I'd get a Zune, is... well, I wouldn't get one, lol.

Stick with a good DAP.

25. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I didn't judge you. What you wrote just did not make any sense whatsoever. What you wrote now makes clear that you used the word "burn" instead of "rip". So what you are writing is still nonsense, but at least I can figure out what you actually mean.

iTunes->Preferences->General->Import Settings->Choose AAC, Custom + 192Kbps or higher. That should fix your audio problems.