IPP AT&T activation issues!! (Continued 12/10/15)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FrancoRumors, Dec 8, 2015.

1. FrancoRumors macrumors 6502

FrancoRumors

So I received my IPP yesterday... Love it as much as I did when demoing in the store (reminds me of the first time I demoed the original iPad ) but I am having one single issue. I went through the normal activation process. The IPP was replacing a iPad mini already on my shared data plan...

I've done this countless times - never had a problem.

Anyway - after activating the iPad briefly gained an AT&T signal and then changed to no service. Been like that for 24 hours and I called AT&T tech support with no success. They said they resent the activation signal but it may take 24 hours so they are calling me tomorrow.

The main thing I noticed that's different is when I goto settings>cellular> it says I am on an AT&T post paid data account.

I'm sure that's not right..

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks

2. papbot macrumors 6502

I'm not certain what steps you took but my Pro was replacing an iPad Air that was on my mobile share data plan on AT&T. I was told at the Apple Store to just take the sim from the Air and put it in the Pro which is what I did and everything set up properly. The Pro received the same cellular data number and was picked up on my account as an iPad Pro. The Air's cellular data was disabled of course.

3. OTACORB macrumors 6502a

OTACORB

Did you activate it on the device itself? Because it shouldn't be setup as post paid. If you called in or did it in the store, someone did it incorrectly. I had this happen one time with Verizon where I went in and told them I wanted a sim. They said okay and did install the sim, but without explaining to me they were actually activating post paid service. I got out to my vehicle and tried to activate it and low and behold it was already activated. I would take it to a store and let them get it resolved for you.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Sounds like your cellular is not set up correctly. Call again and try to get past the stupid ATT people that you get first.

5. FrancoRumors thread starter macrumors 6502

FrancoRumors

So 1 not so helpful AT&T person yesterday and one speedy tech savvy support person today and I'm off to AT&T for a new SIM card... Which I found to be the recommended solution in another deeper buried thread...

So bottom line is... If activation doesn't take the first time your probably heading to AT&T.

All is well in the world. Small price to pay. Thanks to those who responded In this and other threads.

6. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

Next time just switch sims.

7. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Post paid would be correct, no?

I mean, you are not prepaying for service but paying for services after you received them just like your normal cellular phone account.

It'll get worked out with ATT and you should be able to do so over the phone, no need to go to the store.

I had a similar issue this year with an iPad mini I activated, then returned to the Apple Store, then trying to activate one that had more storage while still in the store.

We eventually had it worked out over the phone from the ATT store.

It has something to do with them actually cancelling a line, and adding a line to your account since the new iPad needs a new cellular phone number assigned to the account while replacing the old iPad's phone number.

8. FrancoRumors thread starter macrumors 6502

FrancoRumors

So went to the AT&T store yesterday - they took out Apple sim a replaced with AT&T sim and after 20 minutes of fussing around they managed to get me an AT&T Signal with LTE. Went home... Still working.

Woke up this morning and once again no service.... Phone support had me take out sim - put it back in, try resetting - blah blah blah -

They end up telling me they think the IPP is defective and I should go exchange at Apple.

Then about an hour ago AT&T phone support calls me back to see if the issue has resolved... Go through the usual dance and this time they tell me they think I have a 2nd defective sim... So I'm gonna go back to AT&T store tomorrow - if new sim fails me I'll head to Apple Store and see what they say.

Anyone think it's the sim? Or the iPad?

9. papbot macrumors 6502

What happened to the mini? I'd try putting its sim in the Pro. That would have been the simplest way from the beginning. Maybe it's still an option.

10. FrancoRumors thread starter macrumors 6502

FrancoRumors

Isn't that sim deactivated?

11. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

It needs to be escalated past first tier support.

Ask them to cancel the old line and initiate a new line for the new iPad.

I've gone through a serious runaround in the past with first tier tech support at ATT.

Here is a link with how they handled a past issue.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...-you-the-phone-needs-an-apple-update.1450425/

12. papbot macrumors 6502

It may be but with the issues you've had I would try it and see. Only takes a minute and won't hurt anything. When I placed my former iPad's sim in my new pro I never had to contact AT&T but when I checked my account a few days later it was now showing as an iPad Pro. Anyway it won't hurt.

13. FrancoRumors thread starter macrumors 6502

FrancoRumors

so it's the iPad supposedly... It won't consistently recognize any SIM card.

Tryed new sim at AT&T and that was a no go... However after popping my sim into a different iPad there were no problems. The sim worked fine.

Genius appointment on Sunday... Mildly annoying I guess... Having to goto the Apple Store.. Oh god, how will I ever manage to deal with my horrible life (sarcasm).

Hopefully they exchange me out with a fresh and defect free machine. My fingers are crossed... Besides the wireless not working the pad, the pencil, and keyboard have been flawless.