iProcrastinate Redux Released for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Littleodie914, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Littleodie914, Dec 18, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010

Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Phew. Couple years worth of work, and just like that, it's out in the real world. :)

4-5 years ago, I released iProcrastinate for Mac. It was pretty weak, but it got the job done. Adding features on top of shaky code resulted in bugs that were more and more difficult to fix. A couple years ago, I scrapped the existing code and started over.

Today, finally, version 1.0 is available for download, for free. I want to thank all the developers and beta testers from MacRumors who have helped me finish and polish this app. I can't put into words how helpful you all have been.

Enough with the banter, go get it. :cool:

Few notes:

• The data from the old iProcrastinate is unfortunately not transferrable to the new version. (I know, it sucks.) The new version does not use Core Data, but rather a homebrewed data loader/serializer. This way, the platforms are limitless. (Redmond, anyone?)
    • Mac version uses Sparkle for updates, so you should all be in the loop for future versions.
    • iPhone version is a month off, but will be released late January/early February. Will cost $0.99
    • iPad version will be released a month or two after the iPhone version. Will cose $1.99
    • Initial releases of code that has been in development for years is soon to be rough. I appreciate your patience as any bugs/issues are worked out.

Attached Files:

• Main.png
      Main.png
      File size:
      145.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

This is great. Been using iProcrastinate for months, so it's nice to have this updated version. I look forward to continuing using this product, it's helping me make it through university!
    :cool:

3. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

One issue I had with the old version and I found still exists with the new is that if I close the window, I cannot open it again by clicking on the app in the dock. I must quit the app and re-open it.

Any chance of this being fixed?

4. celticpride678

The new version looks much for 'Mac-like'. Thanks for the update!

5. Littleodie914 thread starter macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

You're welcome. Hope you enjoy it. :)

Crap. That was on my list of things to do, and I forgot it. (Embarrassing, coming from a guy who writes a task management app.) 1.0.1 will be out later today. :) (Hope you selected to update automatically! :D)

6. celticpride678

Have you ever thought about making a menu bar icon for it? So that when a user clicks it, a drop-down of their tasks shows up.

7. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Yep! Good news.

Also, quick question about a scenario.

Say I have something due tomorrow. As of now, it's not showing in the dock an item due today (obviously), but if I don't quit the app before tomorrow, will it automatically recognize that it is now the due date and display this in the dock icon, or would it not recognize this until the app is quit & restarted?

Sorry if this is confusing..I'm tired and it's the best wording I could come up with..

8. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

also this. That'd make this app even more great!

Thanks again, especially for making this app free. It's incredibly useful and helpful.

9. Littleodie914 thread starter macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Yea, both the menu item and the fix for that scenario are implemented in 1.0.0, but both are disabled. They need a bit more testing, though the refresh fix will be in 1.0.1. (The menu item will not.)

10. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Wow you are really on top of things.

I've already shown your app to friends who will hopefully download it as well. I wish all developers were this good!

11. Littleodie914 thread starter macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Thanks. After a couple years off though, I figure I have some groveling up to do. :p

12. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

13. Littleodie914 thread starter macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Do menu items like this usually stay around after the application has quit? Or is it generally a preference?

14. celticpride678, Dec 19, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010

celticpride678

Usually they would stay up there, but some quit too. I'd like to see preference for it.

15. Littleodie914 thread starter macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Version 1.1.0 released, includes the status bar item. (Though it goes away when the app quits - I think it just works better that way.)

Also, both the Mac and iPhone versions have been submitted to the App Store and are pending approval! :D

16. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

hey

Will give your app a whirl over the next couple of weeks, seeing as i have so much uni stuff to do.

Quick question, the sync option, i assume, requires both devices to be on the same network to sync? is there any plans for automatic cloud syncing? Appreciate that there would be additional costs on your end for this, so i would be happy to pay for such feature.

Thanks

Matt

17. Littleodie914 thread starter macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Matt,

Nope, no plans for cloud syncing. I don't like the idea of having to host every user's data, because at that point I have to incur not only the cost of maintaining that service/machine, but also the responsibility of backing up their data and ensuring reliability 24/7.

You do have to be on the same wireless network to sync, I decided this is the best way to go as it provides speed, security, and no middle-man. :)

18. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

Cheers for your reply

What about external sources for syncing? or maybe thinking of it as a more elegant way of backing up.

When i get round to using the app i will probably save a backup to my idisk on my laptop then load it up next time im on my desktop, then its fairly in sync, although wouldnt be with my iphone. If there was an option to restore from a backup on the iphone, and then if i could chose my idisk as a location that ive stored the backup.Just a thought, i think its a really handy looking app, but personally im moving between 3 devices, and having them in sync is really important for me.

19. Littleodie914 thread starter macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

You can create and restore from backups on the iPhone, which are contained in the app. (So that syncing with iTunes will also back them up.)

You can also create and restore from backups on the Mac as well, and the backup files (extension .IPR) are simple files that can be emailed, stored, etc.

Edit: You cannot restore from a remote location on the iPhone though. If you have a file stored remotely, you'll want to restore from that file on your Mac, then sync your iPhone to your Mac.

20. Littleodie914 thread starter macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

The iPhone version was approved this evening and is now available in the App Store! Hope you guys enjoy it! :D (See sig for link.)

21. Littleodie914 thread starter macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Phew, exciting! There are now 3 versions of iProcrastinate available on the stores:

iProcrastinate for iPhone - $0.99 - Link
    iProcrastinate Lite for iPhone - FREE - Link
    iProcrastinate for Mac - FREE for a limited time - Link

Snag the Mac version while it's free, and check out the free, Lite version of iProcrastinate for iPhone to get started! :)

The Mac version is free for a limited time - but, there's a version on my personal site that is currently free. The version on my website is installable on Leopard, and it will remain free, but no more development is going to occur for it. (Though it will continue to work/sync for the foreseeable future.) Over the next few months though, anyone with the free version will want to upgrade to the Mac App Store version. (Preferably sooner, while it's free! :D)

22. solowmodel macrumors 6502

Was looking for something like this.

Will download and give it a go!

23. solowmodel macrumors 6502

I have a quick suggestion:

Is it possible to have a no due date option for a task?

I ask because some of my tasks are overarching tasks and open-ended tasks.

24. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

As of now that's technically not possible, but you could set the task to repeat every day, at least in the mean time.

25. solowmodel macrumors 6502

Ok thanks.

Also, is it possible to sync between two different computers?