Iranian Telecoms Ordered to Shut Down Access to Messaging App Telegram

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Apr 30, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A Tehran-based court today ordered Iranian telecommunications providers to block popular messaging app Telegram, reports The Wall Street Journal.

Iran has been concerned about Telegram's role in recent protests and unrest in the country, which has led to the ban.

[​IMG]
    As of now, the Telegram app continues to be available for use without the need for a VPN or another method of circumventing the ban, and it is not clear if and when it will be rendered unavailable in the country.

According to The Wall Street Journal, approximately 40 million Iranians use Telegram, accounting for one-fifth of Telegram's user base. Telegram is popular in the country as it offers end-to-end encrypted communication that's inaccessible to the government.

Iran's move to ban Telegram comes just a few weeks after a Russian court ordered Russian telecommunications providers to block Telegram in Russia after Telegram refused to comply with government demands for access to users' messages.

Due to U.S. sanctions, Apple does not sell its products in Iran nor is there an Iranian App Store, but there are millions of iPhones in the country that have been smuggled from places like Dubai and Hong Kong.

Apple in March blocked access to the App Store in Iran, preventing Iranians from accessing apps by setting their devices to other regions.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Iranian Telecoms Ordered to Shut Down Access to Messaging App Telegram

2. rictus007 macrumors regular

3. Sven11 Suspended

No, at least not by default. You have to use secret chats otherwise you won't get end to end encryption.

I'd recommend Signal as it's used by Edward Snowden and has end to end encryption by default.

4. Dilster3k macrumors 6502a

Dilster3k

Actually all this news makes me want to use the service...

5. Onexy macrumors regular

Onexy

How to make your citizens hate you. A guide for governments.

6. JosephAW macrumors 68000

JosephAW

This has nothing to do with Russia blocking this app. Oh wait... Russian and Iran are allies. Never mind. /s

7. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

So, two repressive governments are banning a messaging app. I can't think of a better endorsement of a messaging app, really. I already use Telegram, but the recent events are telling.

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Sucks for them. Telegram is a great messaging service/app. I use it more than Whatsapp nowadays. Mainly cause you can use it attached to your number on multiple devices.

9. SoggyCheese Suspended

SoggyCheese

Turkey will ban it soon if they haven’t already. Then no doubt all those other countries with dodgy governments.

Agree.

10. rictus007 macrumors regular

Sorry for this conspiracy theory - but if they ban the service knowing that some people will use (and they already know how to break the encryption)

11. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

I'm sure somehow this will become the fault of the US. When you fear an app, blame the US for all your woes.

12. Zenithal macrumors 604

It's a British app made by the same guy who developed VK (Russia). Why would they blame the US? Governments such as the above restrict apps' internet access, such as this one, so people can't disseminate information during a revolution, protest or uprising.

13. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

They blame the US for everything. Guess that's why their government created a death to America emoji.

14. Zenithal macrumors 604

Yawn. Yeah, they also blame the Israelis. Turkey blames the Iranians, the Russians and the Kurds. The Kurds blame everyone. The Russians blame NATO. The Palestinians blame Israel. The Poles blame the Germans, the Russians, the Arabs for everything. Though they have a history of being steamrolled spanning centuries. Kind of like how we blame the Mexicans for all our problems. We just don't have an app with a "Death to Mexico" emoji. On the other hand, we just shoot brown people.

15. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

You go ahead and roll with that.

16. ikir macrumors 65816

ikir

Stop this no sense, Telegram is very secure much more than Whatsapp and most messaging apps. Telegram chats are encrypted by default.

17. beanbaguk macrumors 6502a

beanbaguk

Are you sure about that? According to their app statement...

Attached Files:

18. WBRacing macrumors 6502a

WBRacing

19. Sven11 Suspended

Yes, I’m sure about that. Everyone who uses Telegram can see that by pressing info inside a conversation. You’re only going to see encryption keys in secret chats.

Telegram’s app statement (while technically true) is truly misleading.
    --- Post Merged, May 1, 2018 ---
    Yes but only if you’re using secret chats.

As I already said, I strongly prefer Signal.

20. ksnell macrumors 6502a

ksnell

21. Sefstah macrumors 6502a

We shoot brown people? Who exactly are you referring to?

22. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

Heh, everyone knows it's conspiracy theories all the way down. :)

23. hank moody macrumors 6502a

hank moody

Yes and you have a real proof here.
    Dictators are banning Telegram, not signal, not other app.
    --- Post Merged, May 1, 2018 ---
    I am tired of this snowden and signal propganda stuff.
    Who is snowden to endorse whatever? He knows nothing about the code of the apps...
    If we really want a proof of which app we should use, WE have it here: look which app is being blocked by dictators... hint: it is not signal!!!

24. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

To be fair, it might have to do more with perhaps Telegram being the more popular and known app, and thus getting the attention, while some other apps like Signal are perhaps less popular and thus not as many people might be using them and banning them won't really accomplish that much. Basically that's to say that the whole banning thing might not really have as much to do with what's actually better or anything like that, but just with what's more widely used (for whatever reason).

25. Sven11, May 1, 2018
    Last edited: May 1, 2018

Sven11 Suspended

Your comment is wrong, plain and simple.

Telegram has a much larger user base than Signal and is therefore a much bigger threat to those governments and a number of countries have indeed blocked Signal, however it's still accessible in most of them due to Signal's censorship circumvention methods. Also I would argue that Snowden does indeed know a few things about how Signal and Telegram work considering, you know, him being Snowden.