Ireland to Formally Appeal $14 Billion Apple Tax Ruling This Week

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Nov 8, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Ireland's government will this week formally submit an appeal against the European Commission's ruling that it must collect 13 billion euros in unpaid back taxes from Apple, according to Ireland's finance minister Michael Noonan.
    Ireland agreed in September to join Apple in its fight against the European Commission, which in August said the iPhone maker received illegal state aid from the country. The ruling followed a three-year inquiry that found Apple paid between only 0.005% and 1% in taxes in Ireland between 2003 and 2014, compared to the country's headline 12.5% corporate tax rate.

Ireland is looking to protect its tax regime that has benefited several multinational corporations, according to Reuters.

Apple previously said it is "confident" the ruling "will be overturned" by European courts, but noted the process is "likely to take several years." Apple said it has "provisioned several billion dollars for the U.S. for payment," but it does not expect any near-term impact on its financial results.

Apple insists it is "the largest taxpayer in the world" and "follows the law and pays all of the taxes" it owes in each country it operates. Apple CEO Tim Cook has described the tax accusations as "total political crap," and said the lower-end 0.005% tax rate calculated by the European Commission is a "false number."

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Ireland to Formally Appeal $14 Billion Apple Tax Ruling This Week

2. The Mercurian macrumors 65816

Careful now......down with that sort of thing....

3. Altis macrumors 68020

4. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

Greedy billionaires not wanting to pay taxes, nothing new.

5. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

They probably pay a lower proportion of their income in taxes than I. In fact it’s not probably, it’s definitely. Also I think you spent ba***rds wrong.

6. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

7. Mcmeowmers macrumors 6502

Ireland not wanting to collect should make everyone question their integrity.

My opinion is Ireland is in too deep with several tax avoiders/evaders and are trying to save face.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 8, 2016 ---
    Since they just reduced the price they'll have to pay in even more dongles!

8. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

It's less about greed than being responsible with shareholders' investments. Apple is doing nothing illegal; they're abiding by Ireland's laws. Apple didn't make the laws, and they're not the only company taking advantage of it.

9. sportsfan macrumors regular

Corporations are playing semantics. I don't think anyone "really" thinks corporations criminally break the law...
    but they break and trample all over the intent of the law.

10. Mcmeowmers macrumors 6502

By "largest taxpayer" do they mean that they're the largest company that has paid a tax or they pay the most taxes ;)

11. sportsfan macrumors regular

That is tackling the problem from the wrong end, Gov't will borrow and spend the difference.
    Programs need to be cut first.

12. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

Tell me. If I was a millionaire living in your neighbourhood and I employed 20 servants, a gardener, accountants, childminder, etc. etc.
    It could probably be said that I I bring in more jobs and money than you you do. Should I be able to avoid paying most of my taxes because of that?

13. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

It they are the richest company! They want to punish Apple but it will put any foreign company from putting their headquarters in the EU countries!

14. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

That's true, but needs to start somewhere.

15. Mcmeowmers macrumors 6502

They're likely not following irelands laws though. Hence the trial.

The state can not give one company a better deal on their taxes. It's not a negotiable situation. You can't call up your govt and get a 99% off deal because you're big can you?

16. HJM.NL macrumors 6502a

HJM.NL

Prepare to pay more for your Apple gear. Tim Cook doesn't like to lose some beans.

17. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I am all for a flat or fair tax. I don't like loopholes...that being said this is about the EU, but in the USA one of the reasons we have corporate inversions is because of the ridiculous tax rates in the USA. Low the rates, get rid of loopholes and people will stop looking for a haven.

18. gnipgnop macrumors 6502a

Although I agree that Apple's tax rate in Ireland is unbelievably low, it doesn't seem like the approach the EU is taking here will be successful. Apple didn't get that rate because they actually need it to compete in Europe. They got it because they could. However cynical that may be, it's probably going to be difficult to prove as illegal per competitive practices.

19. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

As a business if you know or suspect that you are not getting a fair deal you should question it. It’s called due diligience. Ireland has recently been operating under the law of the EU, regardless of when the Apple deal was actually conceived. Apple should have asked questions as soon as something changed, or they thought something had changed.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 8, 2016 ---
    So you didn’t actually answer the question. At all.

20. Attirex macrumors 6502

21. Dave245 macrumors 601

Another case of the EU sticking it's nose in, no wonder we voted for Brexit. Even Ireland don't want to collect the money!

22. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I think my answer spoke for itself, everyone agrees that it is unfair and yes a rich person should be paying more or at least an equal percentage, but overtaxing isn't the answer either. Get rid of loopholes and go with a fair or flat tax and it will be fair and the rich will pay more.

23. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

With the price rises lately I hope Ireland loses and Apple is forced to pay the 14 Billion.

My reasoning? Pure illogical spite :p

24. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

Answer. The question. No fluff.

25. swajames macrumors regular

The EU isn't going after Apple. They are going after Ireland. The EU position is that the deal Ireland granted was contrary to EU law on state aid. Now Apple and other taxpayers aren't necessarily innocent victims here, there's a very legitimate argument that tax structures in place across a number of large multinationals lacks substance and artificially relocate profits and costs, but for now the EU case is solely against a member state for what it claims is a breach of state aid rules.